Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

albion1938:

peterm:
A mate of mine had a Standard Beetle. Column gear lever on the right hand side of the wheel. There used to be a wreckers at Marlpit Lane, Coulsdon where I went for a bit for my Humber Hawk. I asked the bloke what all the wooden crates were for at the back of the yard and he said they were all Vanguard engines that he’d bought from the RAF but nobody wore them out. :slight_smile:

The place at Coulsdon was called Grimes, they were the place for everything Standard. When my late brother came out of the REME in 1957 he bought a beetle-back Vanguard as he’d been impressed working on the army ones, I used to go there with him to get bits
Bernard

Thanks for reminding me of the name. It was a great place for spares.

windrush:
Yes it is an A40.

Pete.

Indeed, an Austin Devon pick-up version. With it’s little tilt it reminds me of my boyhood trip all over Norway with our school scoutmaster. In actual fact we went in a Cambridge version but much the same space I imagine. 6 scouts olus the driver. :unamused: :laughing:

Spardo:

windrush:
Yes it is an A40.

Pete.

Indeed, an Austin Devon pick-up version. With it’s little tilt it reminds me of my boyhood trip all over Norway with our school scoutmaster. In actual fact we went in a Cambridge version but much the same space I imagine. 6 scouts olus the driver. :unamused: :laughing:

Trip made in the summer surely? Kids at that time were hardy, eh? Probably wouldn’t be allowed today…

Dipster:

Spardo:

windrush:
Yes it is an A40.

Pete.

Trip made in the summer surely? Kids at that time were hardy, eh? Probably wouldn’t be allowed today…

Summer holidays yes, probably that is why we never saw the northern lights even when over the Arctic Circle. We certainly were hardy and faithfully wore shorts the whole trip. I am sure there would be at least raised eyebrows today, one master, 6 boys, all sharing the same large tent at each stop. And he was very late to marriage too, also the first adult male I ever saw naked. That was when our very old changing rooms were ‘upgraded’ when a shower replaced a couple of Belfast sinks where we washed after rugby. :laughing: There was never any thought of jiggerypokery and we never had any doubts in our minds that all was as it should be. :wink: :laughing:

No seatbelts in the cab so nobody thought anything about 4 boys sitting on benches in the back.

Buzzer

289821847_2160378087470902_7157026420688376361_n.jpg

The Harry Evans Dodge is on Porter Lane between Middleton by Wirksworth and Steeple Grange, it will probably be turning left down Cromford Hill. The chimney on the horizon is the winding engine for Middleton Incline on the now defunct Cromford and High Peak railway, the engine still operates occasionally but now runs on compressed air.

Pete.

Full whack! NMP off FB

coomsey:
Full whack! NMP off FB

Tunstead quarry, Buxton. They replaced ERF’s I believe.

Pete.

NMP.

Saw this old gal today

coomsey:
Full whack! NMP off FB

Cant be. No greedy boards

Buzzer

290218151_2246891228799490_3942833989710361376_n.jpg

290368681_5157905897597894_7256063117712366229_n.jpg

Lawrence Dunbar:

Great! The full leaflet concerning the marine 8 LXB can be downloaded here:

google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= … YGOgTUhvgV

Bit of catching up to do.
Thanks to Buzzer, Lawrence Dunbar, Ray Smyth, robthedog, Froggy55, coomsey, tyneside, Geordielad, mushroomman, spardo, ERF-NGC-European and essexpete for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also mushroomman, Franglais and Froggy55 for the links :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Took this snap on the Island of North Uist Outer Hebrides at an area called Langass famously connected with Herecules the grizzly bear owned by wrestler Andy Robin, the story here dailymail.co.uk/news/article … cules-Bear htlm. They are both interred in the wooded area on the skyline.
A wee bit of home from home with the Ross Sutherland Volvo from Dingwall( done a fair bit before becoming a good old servant to them).
Oily

Buzzer

some old adverts Tyneside

289174994_1451858855271344_1256932706491444556_n.jpg