Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

pyewacket947v:

Spardo:

Froggy55:
And would this truck be powered with a Gardner 6 LX or a ■■■■■■■■ Thanks!

I would doubt it would be a ■■■■■■■ at that age, but am not sure. I remember driving a Dodge in the '60s (the squarish one with all the windows, not the Kew, can’t remember the model) which had a real clattery engine in and was told it was a ■■■■■■■ V6, but not sure when they started putting the larger ones in heavier models. Incidentally, we were actually told it was a Chrysler, not sure if that was correct or the same thing.

BTW, no need to apologise talking about Atkis. In my first years on the road with an Albion and Kew Dodge I used to dream of driving an Atki like the Mk 1 Tich (?) had. He was the Nottingham shunter for Freeman, Volkers & Stewart and he came in our yard at Shaw’s every Saturday morning to wash it down. I never drove it but he let me sit in it and I thought I would be King of the Road, with all its polished wood frame, quilted door panels and wrap around windscreen. It was a few years, around '67 I think, at Midlands Storage when I finally got one. By that time the Mk 2 had arrived, something else to look forward to. :laughing:

I expect the Dodge would have been a K series Spardo. Those early ■■■■■■■ V6s where extremely raucous.
Birmingham City Transport had a Daimler single deck on demo at the depot i worked at for a short while, a
Roadliner i think. That had a ■■■■■■■ V6 in its tail. It laid a smokescreen when it moved and deafened anyone
stood within a few yards. Put me off ■■■■■■■ until i had a ERF E10 275 years later.!

That’s the one, K series. I remember being impressed with the cab with its good all round vision and a little shelf under the back window to keep your ■■■■ on (I always had a well developed sense of the important points :unamused: ), also the fact that the engine was set back (or the cab set forward) giving decent room and access inside. But that engine, driving up Bath Street Ilkeston which was like a canyon, I am surprised we didn’t get sued for damage to peoples’ ears.

And smoking too. I worked for a time for Maurice Braddock who was a subbie to Dixon’s of Derby. He had two wagons, a Commer with a short tipper trailer which I drove, and his mount, a K Dodge 6 wheel tipper. He went on holiday and left me instructions to drive the Dodge. Powering uphill near Leicester on the M1 one day and laying a screen behind me that would have done justice to a WW2 Destroyer, I was pulled over by the police. After listening to the story they didn’t book me but told me to drive it straight back to the yard and park it up till he came home. Oscar Dixon took the chance to grab me and stuff me into a brand new F88 so I wasn’t strapped for work, but when Maurice came home and tried to get me back into the Commer a dispute arose between them. Now, I have been fought over many times by 2 women, obviously, but never by 2 hauliers. :laughing: :laughing: To my shame I sided with Oscar, well what would you do when offered an 88 or a Commer Knocker which had such a feeble compressor that going down a steep hill, even in crawler, stopped dead every 50 metres to build up some more air? :blush:

Spardo:

tyneside:
Hi Buzzer
Great shot of the Scotch Corner r/bout and hotel
Tyneside

Really? From which direction was it taken? I remember the transport cafe there, on the old road before the dual carriageway. Is the photo facing north then and with the cafe out of sight to the left? Coming from the south and turning left over Stainmore I wouldn’t be concentrating on the large hotel. :confused:

We said our goodbyes there to our esteemed site founders after a pleasant meal halfway across from Penrith. :wink: :smiley:

"From which direction was it taken? "
North facing south would be my guess.
Oily

oiltreader:

Spardo:

tyneside:
Hi Buzzer
Tyneside

Really? From which direction was it taken? I remember the transport cafe there, on the old road before the dual carriageway. Is the photo facing north then and with the cafe out of sight to the left? Coming from the south and turning left over Stainmore I wouldn’t be concentrating on the large hotel. :confused:

We said our goodbyes there to our esteemed site founders after a pleasant meal halfway across from Penrith. :wink: :smiley:

Oily

Yes, from north west facing south. The road is still there, it’s now a link road to Brompton on Swale and Catterick village (plus a roundabout 1/4 mile down for the turnoff to Richmond) and we stay reguarly in a Travelodge which was once the site of a cafe on the northbound side. It loops over the new A1, Chas. Long haulage have their new depot on the road.

Pete.

oiltreader:

Spardo:

tyneside:
Hi Buzzer
Tyneside

Oily

That would be my first thought, seeing the hotel there but I couldn’t work out where the old road is, but now I realise that that is the old road and a caravan place now occupies the old cafe site, I think. :unamused:

@Pete, yes I see it now, and that Shell garage a bit further down is probably where the old Clock Cafe used to be. Is that a proper cafe or a mobile in the big laybay as you set off on the A 66? Be a usefull replacement I should think.

Tyne-Tees Run June 2016 (4).JPG

003.JPG

Dipster:

pyewacket947v:

Spardo:

Froggy55:
And would this truck be powered with a Gardner 6 LX or a ■■■■■■■■ Thanks!

I would doubt it would be a ■■■■■■■ at that age, but am not sure. I remember driving a Dodge in the '60s (the squarish one with all the windows, not the Kew, can’t remember the model) which had a real clattery engine in and was told it was a ■■■■■■■ V6, but not sure when they started putting the larger ones in heavier models. Incidentally, we were actually told it was a Chrysler, not sure if that was correct or the same thing.

BTW, no need to apologise talking about Atkis. In my first years on the road with an Albion and Kew Dodge I used to dream of driving an Atki like the Mk 1 Tich (?) had. He was the Nottingham shunter for Freeman, Volkers & Stewart and he came in our yard at Shaw’s every Saturday morning to wash it down. I never drove it but he let me sit in it and I thought I would be King of the Road, with all its polished wood frame, quilted door panels and wrap around windscreen. It was a few years, around '67 I think, at Midlands Storage when I finally got one. By that time the Mk 2 had arrived, something else to look forward to. :laughing:

I expect the Dodge would have been a K series Spardo. Those early ■■■■■■■ V6s where extremely raucous.
Birmingham City Transport had a Daimler single deck on demo at the depot i worked at for a short while, a
Roadliner i think. That had a ■■■■■■■ V6 in its tail. It laid a smokescreen when it moved and deafened anyone
stood within a few yards. Put me off ■■■■■■■ until i had a ERF E10 275 years later.!

“275 years later”. You don’t look your age…

Thanks Dipster, you made my day!

Sorry if I’m back again with the Michelin Atkinson, but I just discovered it’s registered in Stoke on Trent where there is a Michelin Factory; so, it must be part of their own fleet.

I tried to know its registration year and, according to this website, it could be Feb-Jul 54 or May-Jul 61:

oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/vt.htm

It’s 1954. Potteries Motor Traction registered a fleet of buses with similar reg no’s (TVT563-572) in Dec 1954.

Spardo wrote; I would doubt it would be a ■■■■■■■ at that age, but am not sure. I remember driving a Dodge in the '60s (the squarish one with all the windows, not the Kew, can’t remember the model) which had a real clattery engine in and was told it was a ■■■■■■■ V6, but not sure when they started putting the larger ones in heavier models. Incidentally, we were actually told it was a Chrysler, not sure if that was correct or the same thing.

It would have been the Chrysler Diesel in the Dodge 500 Series, the company I worked for in the workshop had Dodge 500’s and Ford D1000. Although the ■■■■■■■ in the Ford was loud the Chrysler Dodge’s were really noisy, this may have been down to the different exhaust systems rather than the engines themselves as they were actually the same engines. These were V8 engines and not the V6, but they were also available in the earlier models. ■■■■■■■ V8 engine being the VALE 177bhp engine, now Chrysler in Britain (Dodge) when developing the 500 series wanted to use a European or Japanese engine for the new models and spent a year discussing with companies but wanted to have them marked up as Chryslers, they approached several manufacturers but as you might expect got short shrift, however ■■■■■■■ who had V6 and V8 power plants that would suit requirements agreed to this and a 50/50 Chrysler ■■■■■■■ venture was struck up and the Darlington Plant was built to produce these engines. They did have Chrysler Diesel on the rocker covers. The Perkins 6.354 was offered in the lower weight models. So it was the ■■■■■■■ that was a Chrysler Diesel and not the other way around as is sometimes quoted. Incidentally the Dodge cab was styled by Ghia of Turin who hadn’t actually designed a truck cab before and were very interested and excited at doing so. Franky.

Dennis Javelin:
Sorry if I’m back again with the Michelin Atkinson, but I just discovered it’s registered in Stoke on Trent where there is a Michelin Factory; so, it must be part of their own fleet.

I tried to know its registration year and, according to this website, it could be Feb-Jul 54 or May-Jul 61:

oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/vt.htm

It’s 1954. Potteries Motor Traction registered a fleet of buses with similar reg no’s (TVT563-572) in Dec 1954.

Thanks!

Geordielad:
Spardo wrote; I would doubt it would be a ■■■■■■■ at that age, but am not sure. I remember driving a Dodge in the '60s (the squarish one with all the windows, not the Kew, can’t remember the model) which had a real clattery engine in and was told it was a ■■■■■■■ V6, but not sure when they started putting the larger ones in heavier models. Incidentally, we were actually told it was a Chrysler, not sure if that was correct or the same thing.

It would have been the Chrysler Diesel in the Dodge 500 Series, the company I worked for in the workshop had Dodge 500’s and Ford D1000. Although the ■■■■■■■ in the Ford was loud the Chrysler Dodge’s were really noisy, this may have been down to the different exhaust systems rather than the engines themselves as they were actually the same engines. These were V8 engines and not the V6, but they were also available in the earlier models. ■■■■■■■ V8 engine being the VALE 177bhp engine, now Chrysler in Britain (Dodge) when developing the 500 series wanted to use a European or Japanese engine for the new models and spent a year discussing with companies but wanted to have them marked up as Chryslers, they approached several manufacturers but as you might expect got short shrift, however ■■■■■■■ who had V6 and V8 power plants that would suit requirements agreed to this and a 50/50 Chrysler ■■■■■■■ venture was struck up and the Darlington Plant was built to produce these engines. They did have Chrysler Diesel on the rocker covers. The Perkins 6.354 was offered in the lower weight models. So it was the ■■■■■■■ that was a Chrysler Diesel and not the other way around as is sometimes quoted. Incidentally the Dodge cab was styled by Ghia of Turin who hadn’t actually designed a truck cab before and were very interested and excited at doing so. Franky.

Thank you Franky, very interesting and for fleshing out the dim memory I retain of the bare facts of the engine. :slight_smile:

Talking about ■■■■■■■ :- the first picture is the assembly line at the Darlington Engine Plant late sixties.

The second picture is a Chrysler Coronado, apparently only nine were ever made, two got to Europe, of those one was owned by President Tito of Yugoslavia, the other was given to Darlington Town Council by ■■■■■■■ for Mayoral use, to commemorate the building of the engine plant.

In 1971 when I was at Gateshead Tech one of the lecturers manged to get us a tour of the Darlington facility, our guide was a young American chap who was one of the senior engineers.
Then around 1986 I went on a corporate do to the Shotts factory courtesy of Longfield Motors the SA agents in Newcastle.
We went up by coach the previous afternoon and were put up in a hotel in Edinburgh, that night we were taken to a Burns style supper where the malt etc was on free issue, funnily enough can’t remember that much about the actual factory visit !!! :blush:
Tyneside

The Coronado was an eight-seater gas guzzler. Only nine were ever made; only one other came to Europe, where it was owned President Tito of Yugoslavia..jpg

Lawrence Dunbar:

There was one of these in a field just off Thurgoland Bank a couple of years ago, looking quite tidy - is this the same one?

Thanks to Lawrence Dunbar, Froggy5, Buzzer and tyneside for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
Swedes credit to Peter Schöler for the photos.

TKN PS 51827226060_7c66554c0e_o.jpg

Credit to Ian Roberts for this photo.
Oily

Pimlico Badger 3893532623_1d38fc4730_b...jpg

Dashcam north of the border.
Oily

oiltreader:
Thanks to Lawrence Dunbar, Froggy5, Buzzer and tyneside for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
Swedes credit to Peter Schöler for the photos.

That’s interesting it looks like the Swedes are upgrading to 9 axle outfits ?.