Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Froggy55:
And would this truck be powered with a Gardner 6 LX or a ■■■■■■■■ Thanks!

I would doubt it would be a ■■■■■■■ at that age, but am not sure. I remember driving a Dodge in the '60s (the squarish one with all the windows, not the Kew, can’t remember the model) which had a real clattery engine in and was told it was a ■■■■■■■ V6, but not sure when they started putting the larger ones in heavier models. Incidentally, we were actually told it was a Chrysler, not sure if that was correct or the same thing.

BTW, no need to apologise talking about Atkis. In my first years on the road with an Albion and Kew Dodge I used to dream of driving an Atki like the Mk 1 Tich (?) had. He was the Nottingham shunter for Freeman, Volkers & Stewart and he came in our yard at Shaw’s every Saturday morning to wash it down. I never drove it but he let me sit in it and I thought I would be King of the Road, with all its polished wood frame, quilted door panels and wrap around windscreen. It was a few years, around '67 I think, at Midlands Storage when I finally got one. By that time the Mk 2 had arrived, something else to look forward to. :laughing:

Sunday section bit of a mix, Buzzer

282564249_10160745236363094_8343949595553093882_n.jpg

The reg no on the left hand wagon seems strange. Would this have been new in 1964?

Abels.jpg

Dennis Javelin:
The reg no on the left hand wagon seems strange. Would this have been new in 1964?

If it was new in 1964 (which I doubt) the B would have been at the end of the reg not the beginning
Tyneside

Hi Buzzer
Great shot of the Scotch Corner r/bout and hotel
Tyneside

Scotch Corner.jpg

Great photo of the NMT wagon, where did you dig that up from :laughing: Can’t ever recall seeing that around tbh.

Dennis Javelin wrote;
The B prefix registrations are from August 1984 to July 1985 and SDC is a Middlesbrough area code, so it seems this 40’s/50’s era Bedford from East Anglia was re-registered, wonder why they didn’t use an available number from the correct era unless the owner wanted that particular number that had been on a previous vehicle owned or some other reason. Just had to edit this as the pic enlarged showed it was SDC not SOC as thought. Franky.

tyneside:

Dennis Javelin:

If it was new in 1964 (which I doubt) the B would have been at the end of the reg not the beginning
Tyneside

That’s a 1983/4 registration. At one time if you applied to register a used but previously unregistered vehicle, ex-ministry say, or imported, or had run on trade plates for years, or an old vehicle that had lost it’s reg. number for some reason like abandonment after having a nice number transferred to another vehicle, or lost off the system when DVLC as it was then computerised its records, you were issued with a new number from the current issue. I once had a 1965 ex-MOD Land -Rover registered on a K when it was sold off for civilian service in 1972. You could if you preferred request an age related number, big licensing authorities had run out of old style numbers hence the suffixes, but a lot of restored old vehicles were issued with Scots numbers as less vehicles were registered there and some old numbers were left over.
The rules changed around or soon after the time that Bedford was registered, a vehicle could no longer carry a number that made it appear newer than it really was, older vehicles had to be issued with an age related number as long as it’s age could be proved, where there was no proof they were issued with a “Q” prefixed plate. It’s now very difficult to get an age related number, needing all sorts of proof and inspections including extracts from factory records, and if you do get one it’s non-transferable and stays with the vehicle for ever. Five years ago I did a 1950 Land-Rover that had lost it’s number 30/40 years ago and really had to jump through hoops to get it sorted, and I’m told it’s a lot harder now.
The Bedford in the photo would qualify for a age-related plate but only if the owner can prove it’s history, especially it’s exact date of manufacture.
Bernard

Spardo:

Froggy55:

I would doubt it would be a ■■■■■■■ at that age, but am not sure. I remember driving a Dodge in the '60s (the squarish one with all the windows, not the Kew, can’t remember the model) which had a real clattery engine in and was told it was a ■■■■■■■ V6, but not sure when they started putting the larger ones in heavier models. Incidentally, we were actually told it was a Chrysler, not sure if that was correct or the same thing.

BTW, no need to apologise talking about Atkis. In my first years on the road with an Albion and Kew Dodge I used to dream of driving an Atki like the Mk 1 Tich (?) had. He was the Nottingham shunter for Freeman, Volkers & Stewart and he came in our yard at Shaw’s every Saturday morning to wash it down. I never drove it but he let me sit in it and I thought I would be King of the Road, with all its polished wood frame, quilted door panels and wrap around windscreen. It was a few years, around '67 I think, at Midlands Storage when I finally got one. By that time the Mk 2 had arrived, something else to look forward to. :laughing:

I expect the Dodge would have been a K series Spardo. Those early ■■■■■■■ V6s where extremely raucous.
Birmingham City Transport had a Daimler single deck on demo at the depot i worked at for a short while, a
Roadliner i think. That had a ■■■■■■■ V6 in its tail. It laid a smokescreen when it moved and deafened anyone
stood within a few yards. Put me off ■■■■■■■ until i had a ERF E10 275 years later.!

pyewacket947v:

Spardo:

Froggy55:

I expect the Dodge would have been a K series Spardo. Those early ■■■■■■■ V6s where extremely raucous.
Birmingham City Transport had a Daimler single deck on demo at the depot i worked at for a short while, a
Roadliner i think. That had a ■■■■■■■ V6 in its tail. It laid a smokescreen when it moved and deafened anyone
stood within a few yards. Put me off ■■■■■■■ until i had a ERF E10 275 years later.!

“275 years later”. You don’t look your age…

Thanks to pyewacket947v, Geordielad, Kempston, Suedehead and Buzzer for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also Spardo, Carryfast and Froggy55 for the links :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: the Goose Fair wagons brilliant :smiley:
Oily

Spardo:

Froggy55:

I managed to get a little more about engines fitted in Atkinson Trucks. According to Wikipedia, they started with a 7.7 litre AEC, then Gardners (probably the 6LW on 8-wheelers). A 150 bhp 650 ci Daimler was offered from the early '50s before the ■■■■■■■■ Rolls-Royce, and Gardner 150 LWs.

Your description of the Mk 1’s inside definitely makes it an attractive cab! I guess this one (1968) is a Mk 2, but nevertheless I would have loved to have such a well-designed and fully instrumentated dashboard. Just think my 1969 Unic has a horrible rectangular speedometer borrowed from a Citroën Ami 6!

I of course intended Gardner 150 bhp 6 LX from 1957 onwards.

Mondays entry, Buzzer

281229301_1439173699881247_7858751657568426910_n.png

tyneside:
Hi Buzzer
Great shot of the Scotch Corner r/bout and hotel
Tyneside

Really? From which direction was it taken? I remember the transport cafe there, on the old road before the dual carriageway. Is the photo facing north then and with the cafe out of sight to the left? Coming from the south and turning left over Stainmore I wouldn’t be concentrating on the large hotel. :confused:

We said our goodbyes there to our esteemed site founders after a pleasant meal halfway across from Penrith. :wink: :smiley: