Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Dennis Javelin wrote;
This is the remains of a fire engine (looks like an AEC) that attended a major fire in Cheapside St, Glasgow in 1960. The fire was in a bonded warehouse holding over a million gallons of whisky and 30,000 gallons of rum used by Arbuckle Smith & Co and an explosion blew the building apart. A total of 14 firefighters and salvage crew lost their lives.

It was an AEC Merryweather Turntable Ladder and would have looked like the one below of Tynemouth Fire Service, comparing the two photo’s the severe damage to the Glasgow machine becomes obvious and tragic, it hasn’t had time to deploy as the ladder is still stowed so the crew would likely have still been inside. The pipework on the front is the high pressure water monitor operated by the Fireman (as it was in those days) at the top of the ladder. Sad to see. Franky.

Few more of Holtons motors, no longer around but they always ran a very tidy fleet, nmp

74ED4970-D9AA-461F-8193-0BFB621BDF2A.jpeg

AAF61555-F0C4-412D-83EE-485AB45A330D.jpeg

Saturday salvo, Buzzer

282291686_10227443610145882_6347029041210977816_n.jpg

Geordielad:
Dennis Javelin wrote;
This is the remains of a fire engine (looks like an AEC) that attended a major fire in Cheapside St, Glasgow in 1960. The fire was in a bonded warehouse holding over a million gallons of whisky and 30,000 gallons of rum used by Arbuckle Smith & Co and an explosion blew the building apart. A total of 14 firefighters and salvage crew lost their lives.

It was an AEC Merryweather Turntable Ladder and would have looked like the one below of Tynemouth Fire Service, comparing the two photo’s the severe damage to the Glasgow machine becomes obvious and tragic, it hasn’t had time to deploy as the ladder is still stowed so the crew would likely have still been inside. The pipework on the front is the high pressure water monitor operated by the Fireman (as it was in those days) at the top of the ladder. Sad to see. Franky.

You’re probably right about the crew still being inside as they had requested additional pumps after the initial call out. The fire apparently took a week to put out. These old whisky bonds were death traps. A few years later another fire started a couple streets along in an old bond that had been used for furniture manufacturing and this time 22 people lost their lives. The security precautions in the building, put in place to stop thieves breaking in, prevented employees getting out.

Buzzer:
Thursdays entry, Buzzer

Do you have an idea if this truck was run by a Michelin agent, a transporter under contract with Michelin, or possibly Michelin themselves?? Thanks.

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Thursdays entry, Buzzer0

Do you have an idea if this truck was run by a Michelin agent, a transporter under contract with Michelin, or possibly Michelin themselves?? Thanks.

Due to my admiration for old drawbar drivers and my fixation with not ‘nosing in’ when reversing the drag, something else occurred to me about that photo. Does anyone think that there are 2 positions for connecting an A-frame hitch and, if so, could it be that they sometimes offset to the left hand hitch in order to see down one side of the trailer? Never heard of such a thing before but it would answer one of my questions.

For what it’s worth Froggy, perhaps a Michelin’s own motor, is it a ‘de-luxe’ version of the cab having as it does 2 windscreen wipers. :unamused:

Spardo:

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Thursdays entry, Buzzer0

Due to my admiration for old drawbar drivers and my fixation with not ‘nosing in’ when reversing the drag, something else occurred to me about that photo. Does anyone think that there are 2 positions for connecting an A-frame hitch and, if so, could it be that they sometimes offset to the left hand hitch in order to see down one side of the trailer? Never heard of such a thing before but it would answer one of my questions.

For what it’s worth Froggy, perhaps a Michelin’s own motor, is it a ‘de-luxe’ version of the cab having as it does 2 windscreen wipers. :unamused:

Just thinking aloud, if you offset the trailer to mover you would only be able to go into a tight space the length of the trailer?

essexpete:

Spardo:

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Thursdays entry, Buzzer0

Just thinking aloud, if you offset the trailer to mover you would only be able to go into a tight space the length of the trailer?

True. But does anyone know if it was done, someone older than me, perhaps? I know there are some of you still alive. :laughing: :laughing:

Most Wagon and Drag photo’s from the period of the Atkinson show only a single centre front hook up position, some even have no front ‘push’ connections at all so they would of had to reverse every time. The one fitted to the Atkinson may just be for recovery purposes but I suppose it could be used as an off centre push connection although that in itself would take a bit of getting used to. Having looked closer at the photo I believe it has a centre pin location just the pin isn’t there, the pins left and right are possibly just to attach the front ‘Push’ frame to the chassis leading edges, I’ve seen this also on older photo’s. Franky.

Geordielad:
Most Wagon and Drag photo’s from the period of the Atkinson show only a single centre front hook up position, some even have no front ‘push’ connections at all so they would of had to reverse every time. The one fitted to the Atkinson may just be for recovery purposes but I suppose it could be used as an off centre push connection although that in itself would take a bit of getting used to. Having looked closer at the photo I believe it has a centre pin location just the pin isn’t there, the pins left and right are possibly just to attach the front ‘Push’ frame to the chassis leading edges, I’ve seen this also on older photo’s. Franky.

Thanks Franky, in which case my admiration for those drivers only increases. I know full well that easy and rapid reversing of a drag depends to a very great extent on swift, small movements of the steering and a decent view of where you were heading. No problem with modern ultralight steering and large mirrors but in those days no such assistance. I well remember some vehicles of the pre-power era requiring a blip on the throttle when shunting in a limited space simply to ease the weight momentarily on the front axle(s). Just with the wagon, never mind checking to make sure the ‘other half’ was going in the right direction. :unamused:

Spardo:

Geordielad:

Thanks Franky, in which case my admiration for those drivers only increases. I know full well that easy and rapid reversing of a drag depends to a very great extent on swift, small movements of the steering and a decent view of where you were heading. No problem with modern ultralight steering and large mirrors but in those days no such assistance. I well remember some vehicles of the pre-power era requiring a blip on the throttle when shunting in a limited space simply to ease the weight momentarily on the front axle(s). Just with the wagon, never mind checking to make sure the ‘other half’ was going in the right direction. :unamused:

You might find some answers in video footage of showman setting up fairgrounds. They often used the technique long after the commercial sector had ceased using old-style drawbar outfits.

ERF-NGC-European:

Spardo:

Geordielad:

You might find some answers in video footage of showman setting up fairgrounds. They often used the technique long after the commercial sector had ceased using old-style drawbar outfits.

Well, you set me off there, Robert, Nottingham Goose Fair pull on 1989. Lots of Fodens and ERFs with a smattering of others, evidence that they nose in but no-one wanted to demonstrate. :unamused:

youtu.be/dhPt54oKTho

Onward to the 2019 pull on, still no evidence but all the highroof Scanias, Volvos, Mercs and MANs had arrived. :unamused:

youtu.be/OdvLSYUFoOY

Guess which I liked the best. :laughing: :laughing:

Many memories of mine of the Goose Fair, I might have paused for a moment to watch the girls’ skirts blowing up over the blowers on coming out of the Ghost Train, but it was the Dodgems that I always headed for. :wink:

Spardo:

ERF-NGC-European:

Spardo:

Geordielad:

Well, you set me off there, Robert, Nottingham Goose Fair pull on 1989. Lots of Fodens and ERFs with a smattering of others, evidence that they nose in but no-one wanted to demonstrate. :unamused:

youtu.be/dhPt54oKTho

Onward to the 2019 pull on, still no evidence but all the highroof Scanias, Volvos, Mercs and MANs had arrived. :unamused:

youtu.be/OdvLSYUFoOY

Many memories of mine of the Goose Fair, I might have paused for a moment to watch the girls’ skirts blowing up over the blowers on coming out of the Ghost Train, but it was the Dodgems that I always headed for. :wink:

Bless you, Spardo! Yes, I remember the Goose Fair arriving in Nottingham in the late '50s. I can still smell the steam roundabout and the candyfloss.

ERF-NGC-European:

Spardo:

Geordielad:

Silly small mirrors and no nose coupling.
I guess no power steering ?.
youtu.be/ouPTX94amzc
Also remember Bewick referring to reversing the Brady outfit properly.
I guess that the difference between reversing an old artic similar spec v drawbar would have been acedemic at the end of the day.Both unimaginably hard work to reverse.

Spardo:

youtu.be/dhPt54oKTho

youtu.be/OdvLSYUFoOY

Amazing to see that, in 1989, a fun fair could still be operated solely with British trucks; great scenery there! Here, in France, one could still see many Berliet, Unic and even a few Willèmes, but already many MBs, and Volvos.

Spardo:

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Thursdays entry, Buzzer0

When I started driving lorries in 1979, some old drivers who had begun in the '40s or '50s had told me that, in some very steep hills, they coupled the trailer to the front or the mover and thus reversed up the hill. That was due to the fact the ratio of the reverse gear was shorter than the first gear. Even if I never witnessed this, it seems realistic. Climbing up La Rochepot on the N6 with a 6LW-powered (105 bhp) Bernard 6-wheeler (26 tonnes) dragging an overloaded trailer must certainly have needed some special trick!

Maybe that was the purpose of this device on the Atkinson?

Froggy55:

Spardo:

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Thursdays entry, Buzzer0

When I started driving lorries in 1979, some old drivers who had begun in the '40s or '50s had told me that, in some very steep hills, they coupled the trailer to the front or the mover and thus reversed up the hill. That was due to the fact the ratio of the reverse gear was shorter than the first gear. Even if I never witnessed this, it seems realistic. Climbing up La Rochepot on the N6 with a 6LW-powered (105 bhp) Bernard 6-wheeler (26 tonnes) dragging an overloaded trailer must certainly have needed some special trick!

Maybe that was the purpose of this device on the Atkinson?

That is very interesting Froggy, but didn’t they find that what they gained in the lower gear ratio thay lost in traction? I started in the early '60s and was soon on artics, not drawbars, and with an Atki with 6 gears and a 150 engine I wouldn’t even attempt a 1 in 10 (10%). I was pretty nervous about going down one too. Crawler gear and no kind of retarder (exhaust, electric or Jake), but then I had had at least 2 runaways due to brake failure in my first 10 years, kind of leaves you a bit shivery when you get to the bottom in one piece. :laughing:

I’d like to put a nowadays’ young driver, with an up-to-date trainig, in such a truck. I’m sure we would have a great fun looking at the colour of his face in such a situation! :laughing:

Spardo:

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Thursdays entry, Buzzer0

Sorry if I’m back again with the Michelin Atkinson, but I just discovered it’s registered in Stoke on Trent where there is a Michelin Factory; so, it must be part of their own fleet.

I tried to know its registration year and, according to this website, it could be Feb-Jul 54 or May-Jul 61:

oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/vt.htm

How can I guess? And would this truck be powered with a Gardner 6 LX or a ■■■■■■■■ Thanks!