Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

IMG_3648.JPG

Wednesdays wonders, Buzzer

284030364_177218008060317_1020121103535394800_n.jpg

John Lennon on the guitar Buzzer ?

coomsey:

^^I’m sure today’s teens could relate to yon beatnik lounging against the headboard talking into his i-phone :laughing:

coomsey:

Definitely John Lennon on the Chadwicks of Halewood lorry. The location
is in the Allerton/Woolton area of Liverpool where John Lennon was from.

Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:

coomsey:

Ray Smyth.

Whoever was on there, there was certainly no ‘elf’ in attendance. :laughing:

Spardo:

Ray Smyth:

coomsey:

Ray Smyth.

Ah, the days before “elf”. Very apt at the moment, this is the Queens silver jubilee 1977:

albion1938:

Spardo:

Ray Smyth:

coomsey:

Ray Smyth.

Ah, the days before “elf”. Very apt at the moment, this is the Queens silver jubilee 1977:

At least they’re ‘corralled’ a bit though. :wink: :unamused:

I picked up 6 hitch hikers at Staples corner,2 in the cab 4 in the tipper body, they didn’t last long :smiley:

coomsey:
I picked up 6 hitch hikers at Staples corner,2 in the cab 4 in the tipper body, they didn’t last long :smiley:

Back in the mid 70’s when Tilcon were having some of their Foden halfcabs replaced with the S40 Motor Panels cab’s to give them a longer life I took most of ours from the quarry near Ashbourne up to North Riding Garages (part of the Tilling Group of companies at that time) at Middleton St George near Darlington. My brother, aged about 14 at the time, was on holiday with us so I took him with me. He sat on an old tarmac coated sheet in the back of the body for the journey north and sometimes stood up to wave at other drivers! He loved it, luckily I had a S40 cabbed one to bring back so he rode under cover in the cab! :slight_smile:

Pete.

coomsey:

Why? Did you pull the PTO? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Back in the mists of time before I even had a licence I worked as a chainman (engineer’s (surveyor) assistant) on the building of the Stapleford and Sandiacre by-pass. Getting near to the end of the day I was at the wrong end of the job and cadged a lift from an Irish Drott operator. For those that don’t know, a Drott is a small, tracked, front end loader but with the option to open the back of the bucket. I climbed into the bucket and, laughing like a drain he hoisted it up to the max and then set off over the rough ground at the fastest speed it would go. I hung on like grim death, terrified, but then, as I began to think that I might just survive, he released the back of the bucket allowing it to swing back and forth clanging shut and opening wide. I was very lucky not to be chopped in half.

The Elf wasn’t there that day either. :imp:

Geordielad:
Spardo wrote; I would doubt it would be a ■■■■■■■ at that age, but am not sure. I remember driving a Dodge in the '60s (the squarish one with all the windows, not the Kew, can’t remember the model) which had a real clattery engine in and was told it was a ■■■■■■■ V6, but not sure when they started putting the larger ones in heavier models. Incidentally, we were actually told it was a Chrysler, not sure if that was correct or the same thing.

It would have been the Chrysler Diesel in the Dodge 500 Series, the company I worked for in the workshop had Dodge 500’s and Ford D1000. Although the ■■■■■■■ in the Ford was loud the Chrysler Dodge’s were really noisy, this may have been down to the different exhaust systems rather than the engines themselves as they were actually the same engines. These were V8 engines and not the V6, but they were also available in the earlier models. ■■■■■■■ V8 engine being the VALE 177bhp engine, now Chrysler in Britain (Dodge) when developing the 500 series wanted to use a European or Japanese engine for the new models and spent a year discussing with companies but wanted to have them marked up as Chryslers, they approached several manufacturers but as you might expect got short shrift, however ■■■■■■■ who had V6 and V8 power plants that would suit requirements agreed to this and a 50/50 Chrysler ■■■■■■■ venture was struck up and the Darlington Plant was built to produce these engines. They did have Chrysler Diesel on the rocker covers. The Perkins 6.354 was offered in the lower weight models. So it was the ■■■■■■■ that was a Chrysler Diesel and not the other way around as is sometimes quoted. Incidentally the Dodge cab was styled by Ghia of Turin who hadn’t actually designed a truck cab before and were very interested and excited at doing so. Franky.

The Darlington Engine plant was a ■■■■■■■ facility and the V6 & V8 engines were entirely ■■■■■■■ albeit the V6’s used by Dodge were “labelled” Chrysler but they were ■■■■■■■ never the less. Perkins supplied Ford with “Ford” V8 engines but with the Ford logo on the rocker covers but they were still Perkins. This reminds me of a 2:5 D Peugeot engine we had in a Granada and when we had to recon the engine the parts we required were about half the price from the local Peugeot dealer than buying them from the Ford Dealer ! it was unbelievable but true all the same ! Cheers Bewick.

coomsey:

Showed the photo to friends and the guitar player recognised Lennon. The rest were taking the P with guess the lorry. I have no idea. I guessed a late 40s?

coomsey:

This is one of John Lennons early groups called the Quarrymen, which was to become the Beatles around 1960, I don’t recognise Paul McCartney in the line up so the picture has to be pre October 1957.

dave docwra:

coomsey:

This is one of John Lennons early groups called the Quarrymen, which was to become the Beatles around 1960, I don’t recognise Paul McCartney in the line up so the picture has to be pre October 1957.[/quot

CORRECT MY MAN, WELL DONE SAW THE CAPTION BUT COULD NOT REMEMBER THE NAME. Buzzer

This is one of John Lennons early groups called the Quarrymen, which was to become the Beatles around 1960, I don’t recognise Paul McCartney in the line up so the picture has to be pre October 1957.

This is likely July 1957 when the Quarrymen played at Woolton at St Peter’s Church Garden Fete and where McCartney would meet Lennon and be asked to join the band.
The Lorry they are set up on looks very much like an early Foden, the side lights on the cab being how Foden had them on cabs from the 30’s/40’s and the cab itself is also a style from that period, so this vehicle may even have been included in the Fete as it was an ‘oldy’ even back in 1957. Pity the reg no isn’t shown. Franky.