Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Punchy Dan:
ERF off for cab repair

I saw 1 just like that coming out of Bradford this morning :wink:

Scenes during World War 2 in Liverpool, Royal Air Force lorries and trailers hauling P-21 Mustang fighter aircraft
from the docks at Birkenhead and Liverpool, which have arrived from United States of America. They are being
carried to United States Army Air Force base ( USAAF ) at Burtonwood, approx 17 miles away, where nowadays,
is the M62 Motorway and Burtonwood Services. My Dad was a lorry driver with the Royal Air Force throughout
World War 2, so I imagine he would have carried many aircraft. I know that the lorries in the first picture are
Bedfords, but I am struggling to identify the lorries in the 2nd picture, I think they may be Fords, not sure.

Ray Smyth.

LAC Robert Smyth.jpg

Mersey Tunnel 1943.jpg

Photo0738.jpg

Ray Smyth:
Scenes during World War 2 in Liverpool, Royal Air Force lorries and trailers hauling P-21 Mustang fighter aircraft
from the docks at Birkenhead and Liverpool, which have arrived from United States of America. They are being
carried to United States Army Air Force base ( USAAF ) at Burtonwood, approx 17 miles away, where nowadays,
is the M62 Motorway and Burtonwood Services. My Dad was a lorry driver with the Royal Air Force throughout
World War 2, so I imagine he would have carried many aircraft. I know that the lorries in the first picture are
Bedfords, but I am struggling to identify the lorries in the 2nd picture, I think they may be Fords, not sure.

Ray Smyth.

My Dad drove a Queen Mary during the war, based near Glasgow, he had to regularly cross over to the Irish Republic to pick up a crashed fighter aircraft usually from a beach somewhere and bring it back over for repair.
He spent the last two years of the war in the Azores working with the Americans on the construction of a new runway to be used as a refuelling stop by the Yanks on their way to Europe.

Tyneside

Dont think this is the red Moss looks like Old Garage on the Crawford By Pass correct me if wrong Ben

Environmental work today

ramone:

Punchy Dan:
ERF off for cab repair

I saw 1 just like that coming out of Bradford this morning :wink:

I saw an old Merc ,and driver … :laughing: :wink:

Ray Smyth wrote: I am struggling to identify the lorries in the 2nd picture, I think they may be Fords, not sure.
Yes they are Fords Ray or Fordson to be precise. Ford UK truck manufacturing went under the name Fordson from 1933 to 1939, then Fordson Thames from 1939 to 1957 and then Ford Thames from 1957 to 1965. Ford moved to a new site in 1931 at Dagenham on the River Thames from Manchester, so the Thames name was eventually used to give a more British identity. The front wings of the Fordson are quite distinctive for identification. Here’s a restored RAF Fire Tender and a lovely job it is. Franky.

Ay up ! NMP off FB

Frankydobo:
Ray Smyth wrote: I am struggling to identify the lorries in the 2nd picture, I think they may be Fords, not sure.
Yes they are Fords Ray or Fordson to be precise. Ford UK truck manufacturing went under the name Fordson from 1933 to 1939, then Fordson Thames from 1939 to 1957 and then Ford Thames from 1957 to 1965. Ford moved to a new site in 1931 at Dagenham on the River Thames from Manchester, so the Thames name was eventually used to give a more British identity. The front wings of the Fordson are quite distinctive for identification. Here’s a restored RAF Fire Tender and a lovely job it is. Franky.

Franky, Thank you for your info, it brings back some memories. Cheers, Ray.

coomsey:
Ay up ! NMP off FB

Handy having the machine to rebuild the bridge already on site Paul, now that’s what I call foward planning. :wink:

Pete.

Buzzer

Thanks to pv83, Buzzer, Ray Smyth, Punchy Dan, Frankydobo and coomsey for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: the craic’s going well :smiley: and the Davie’s Scania looking good.
Oily
A year or two ago running fish Northeast of Scotland to Spain.

Volvo FB Abn Volvo FreePhotos4U cc by 2.0 24167247681_781ec68baa_o.jpg

A load of Celcon blocks, where’s the flyash coming from when the coal fired powerstations are all shut down?. Credit to bilbobagweed for the photo.
Oily

IMG_2888.JPG

ben walker:
Dont think this is the red Moss looks like Old Garage on the Crawford By Pass correct me if wrong Ben

Yes you are right Ben, Its Westons Garage at Crawford, as seen heading South.
Redmoss is on the North bound side further North.
Its my mistake from searching Google Earth for the location.
It was a long time ago, and the only time i passed that way.
I have given myself a severe rollocking. !!

25 June 1986
A74
Crawford
South Lanarkshire
Sco.
Westons Garage… on the Southside of the building.
A hefty looking Coles crane mounted on a 6x4 chassis and cab,
My guess is a Thorneycroft. But then again, i have been known to make mistakes. !!!

Quite alike this Dinky scale model Coles crane which is presently at hand reach. Would its chassis be a Thornycroft too?

Buzzer

272300397_3096483483898851_5120543769868349196_n.jpg

272733931_3097337003813499_7807929325725917674_n.jpg