Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Buzzer

That last one is indeed Australia, it shows Kurt Johannsen who built an early, some say the first, roadtrain using WW2 surplus. An extremely interesting man.

The photo shows his load to be 45 gallon oil drums. I recall he purchased loads in government auctions in Darwin (I think it was), cleaned them up and sold them on.

Dipster:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

That last one is indeed Australia, it shows Kurt Johannsen who built an early, some say the first, roadtrain using WW2 surplus. An extremely interesting man.

The photo shows his load to be 45 gallon oil drums. I recall he purchased loads in government auctions in Darwin (I think it was), cleaned them up and sold them on.

Yes I think he had a government contract to ‘clean up’ the north after the war, That shows his Diamond T and what it doesn’t show is the probably 5 or more trailers behind it.
The real first road train (other than ‘bullockies’ bullock trains) was the AEC government road train just before the war. Largely experimental I don’t think it was used privately commercially though.

Buzzer:
Buzzer

The Diamond T has the most unusual Double Sleeper compartment. I hope that the
driver and his young lad dont need to get up for a wee during the night. :wink:

Cheers, Ray.

Froggy55:
Quite alike this Dinky scale model Coles crane which is presently at hand reach. Would its chassis be a Thornycroft too?

Pywacket’s picture shows a Thornycroft radiator by the look of it, whereas your Dinky crane shows and AEC or Maudsley radiator :wink:

Ray Smyth:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Cheers, Ray.

I´m sure they would have simply peed over the side!

Spardo:

Dipster:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Yes I think he had a government contract to ‘clean up’ the north after the war, That shows his Diamond T and what it doesn’t show is the probably 5 or more trailers behind it.
The real first road train (other than ‘bullockies’ bullock trains) was the AEC government road train just before the war. Largely experimental I don’t think it was used privately commercially though.

Rear Steering trailers that he built. Interesting man.

Ray Smyth:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Cheers, Ray.

Quite a common arrangement back in the day, although a double like that I haven’t noticed before. At least if you knelt near the edge nobody gets splashed. :laughing: :laughing:

J.F.G:

John…An extremely busy scene on the Dock Road in Liverpool approx mid 1960s. I posted this
picture on the Liverpool Hauliers thread a few years ago. Have a squint on the Liverpool thread
and you will see pictures of the Mersey Tunnel entrance and exit when it served two way traffic.
The Liverpool Corporation AEC bus is on route number 1, Dingle to Seaforth, which started at
the time when The Liverpool Overhead Railway, known as the Dockers Umbrella finished in 1955.
Another interesting item in this picture is the lack of foreign vehicles, apart from the Volkswagen
that has just exited the Mersey Tunnel. Cheers, Ray.

Thanks to servo88, pyewacket947v, Froggy55, Buzzer and J.F.G for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Oily
Story here with Lindsay Johannsen interview re The Transport Hall of Fame Museum at Alice Springs.
alicespringsnews.com.au/2019/08 … take-over/

oiltreader:
Thanks to servo88, pyewacket947v, Froggy55, Buzzer and J.F.G for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Oily
Story here with Lindsay Johannsen interview re The Transport Hall of Fame Museum at Alice Springs.

That was interesting Oily. Thanks for posting it.
Thanks to everyone else that contributes pictures and stories too.

peterm:

oiltreader:
Oily

That was interesting Oily. Thanks for posting it.
Thanks to everyone else that contributes pictures and stories too.

I am glad I visited the museum when I did. Looks like others will not have the chance in the future.

Buzzer

272824527_2362562433884673_8293019076320786424_n.jpg

Few from the NE. Taken from F/B

Tyneside

Noble & Lund were a well known engineering company from Felling in Gateshead. Photo of one of there delivery vehicles and some samples of the type of stuff they manufactured.

Tyneside

Few I have taken on the building site where we are living at present

Tyneside

long1.jpg

Nice photos of Chas Long tippers Tyneside,from Richmond.I see them regularly in Thirsk area where I live.They always look smart.

Long’s have a very impressive base and workshops on the ‘new’ link road between Brompton on Swale village and Scotch Corner that is actually part of the old A1, they also bag aggregates at an other yard in Brompton which is visible from the ‘new’ A1.

Pete.

I am living on a new development and Long’s have been weekly visitors with sub base, not sure if it is quarried or recycled.

Tyneside