Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Bet a few on here can relate to this post, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Monday morning entry, Buzzer

Did you run the Mog Buzzer?

essexpete:

Buzzer:
Monday morning entry, Buzzer

Did you run the Mog Buzzer?

No mate far to big for me and they are always very expensive, Buzzer

Buzzer:

And never got caught. :slight_smile:

Pete.

Tuesday trifles, Buzzer

245832541_542909703475336_8684273965995359853_n (2).jpg

245648990_3025546787659188_8781956571154864856_n.jpg

Buzzer:

Love to know where the author of that got his curry in 1961! :smiley:

IIRC the first Chinese appeared in Canterbury in about '65 and the first Indian in about '71.

The rest of it rings true though!

ERF-NGC-European:

Buzzer:

IIRC the first Chinese appeared in Canterbury in about '65 and the first Indian in about '71.

The only way you could have went out on a Saturday night in 1961 with only 10 bob and got all that would be if you dipped someone’s pocket when you were in the pub :laughing: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

Buzzer:

way off mate…
first indian 1809 in mayfair…

first chinese 1909/10 soho…

Leyland600:
Re the J & D Walker of Strathkinness AEC Marshal Major JAV 854F here is a photo taken at a vintage rally held at Warwick Bridge near Carlisle a few years ago when it was owned by Tillside Haulage, Chillingham Barns, North Northumberland. My guess is that it is an ex T & M Catto lorry and a frequent visitor to the Sands Lorry Park at Carlisle back then. Perhaps Oily was parked alongside some nights along with numerous other Aberdeenshire fridge vans at that time.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Hi G, on a wagon and drag we got a day to run Cowley to Carlisle, a day to tip Edinburgh, Stirling or Glasgow then load Imps at Linwood and back to Carlisle. Good digs at Mrs Robinsons Corporation Rd and the lorry park just across the main road. The firms I remember and because they used the same digs were a couple of ICI tanker drivers from Ayrshire or Grangemouth who were bound for Billingham, a James Hemphill tanker driver also an old boy with a Munro’s of Aberdeen Atki on general were regulars. Mrs Robinson’s husband Freddie was on Robsons and an odd time or two would also be parked at the lorry park with an Albion Riever.
Cheers
Oily

Dennis Javelin:

ERF-NGC-European:

Buzzer:

The only way you could have went out on a Saturday night in 1961 with only 10 bob and got all that would be if you dipped someone’s pocket when you were in the pub :laughing: :laughing:

Hard pressed to get all of that for 2 ten bob notes, yes curry restaurants in Oxford and elsewhere early '60s, pint of Mitchell and Butlers BrewXI 1/3d. Didn’t smoke but when on trade plate car delivery and hitching back, a lorry lift of distance was a 2/6 tip for the driver the approx price of packet of ■■■■ or a meal.
Oily

oiltreader:

Dennis Javelin:

ERF-NGC-European:

Buzzer:

Hard pressed to get all of that for 2 ten bob notes, yes curry restaurants in Oxford and elsewhere early '60s, pint of Mitchell and Butlers BrewXI 1/3d. Didn’t smoke but when on trade plate car delivery and hitching back, a lorry lift of distance was a 2/6 tip for the driver the approx price of packet of ■■■■ or a meal.
Oily

Your mention of 2/6 (or half a crown/dollar to us oldies) reminded me of the first time I ever had one. This was in 1966 and my Dad had taken me to a football game where he bumped into an old army comrade of his by the name of Johnny Ramensky. Johnny was a habitual criminal before and after the war and was (apparently) released from prison in 1943 to join up with the unit my Dad was in but he had a heart of gold. As we were going our separate ways he grabbed my hand and placed something in it - a half crown. I was rich beyond belief. On the following Monday he was arrested for a robbery at a post office a few days previously so I’m guessing that my treasure was part of the proceeds of crime. Still spent it though.

m.a.n rules:

ERF-NGC-European:

Buzzer:

way off mate…

I didn’t mean the one-offs: I meant the regular appearance of them. Even then, didn’t take-aways come after the ordinary sit-down affairs? The only take-aways I remember in the '60s were fish 'n chips (or jellied eels, pie & mash in more localised circs).

ERF-NGC-European:

m.a.n rules:

ERF-NGC-European:

Buzzer:

way off mate…

I didn’t mean the one-offs: I meant the regular appearance of them. Even then, didn’t take-aways come after the ordinary sit-down affairs? The only take-aways I remember in the '60s were fish 'n chips (or jellied eels, pie & mash in more localised circs).

As a 9 year old in 1965 I can remember being taken to an Indian restaurant by my older brother to collect a “take-away”. The only dish on offer was a “meat curry with rice” and you had to bring your own pots to collect it in. The meat would be whatever they had available.

Dennis Javelin mentions Johnny Ramensky a folk hero in my youth in rural Aberdeenshire with his escapes from Peterhead Prison, a cunning thief whose targets were strongboxes and safes. Later a war hero but in civilian life the day job was burglary.
Worth a read
eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new … ad-prison/
Oily

Thanks to pyewacket947v, Buzzer, Ray Smyth, mushroomman, Leyland 600 and old 67 for the pics and link :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Oily
Open and shut, credit to Richard Says for the photos.

Trailer Richard 51266947370_c0cf2320c9_5k.jpg

Askew wagon at Slaidburn in the Forest of Bowland credit to Bob Harvey for the photo.
Oily

oiltreader:
Askew wagon at Slaidburn in the Forest of Bowland credit to Bob Harvey for the photo.
Oily

You could be forgiven for thinking a sat nav has taken him there.

oiltreader:
Dennis Javelin mentions Johnny Ramensky a folk hero in my youth in rural Aberdeenshire with his escapes from Peterhead Prison, a cunning thief whose targets were strongboxes and safes. Later a war hero but in civilian life the day job was burglary.
Worth a read
eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new … ad-prison/
Oily

My Dad spent a lot of time with Johnny in Italy mostly behind enemy lines. There are a few tales regarding Johnny that might tarnish his “war hero” status though :laughing: :laughing:

23 March 1986
Redditch
Worcs
Eng

JEA 128D
A somewhat worn Albion Reiver pantech
ending its days in showland.

Wet & windy Wednesdays lot, Buzzer

246049332_10158118710470653_3065126585856343777_n.jpg