Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Looks a bit ott, credit to Lav Ulv for the photo
Oily

An interesting painting by G.S.Cooper. The Royal Mail Morris 30 cwt van has just entered Castle Street
in Liverpool, and the Liverpool Corporation Mk 111 AEC has come up Water Street from the Pier Head
and is on route 73 to Belle Vale via Church Street in the city centre.

Ray Smyth.

Castle Street, Liverpool. G.S.Cooper..jpg

Just had this turn up and offload a piling machine opposite my house, they’re going to build 2 detached bungalows, god knows what one of these cost to hire?

5F2ACB10-CE0F-4265-AE98-81967810EC75.jpeg

Kempston:
Just had this turn up and offload a piling machine opposite my house, they’re going to build 2 detached bungalows, god knows what one of these cost to hire?

I had to hire one of these a few years ago for the groundworks on a warehouse I was building. Surprisingly they are not as expensive as you would think. I needed to get just under 200 piles done and it took two days. IIRC the cost was around £7.5k which I thought was okay considering what was involved.

I had a new detached bungalow built in 2003 and it was built on a ring of 15 mtr deep piles for the foundations and if memory serves me correct the firm that did the piling was called Acorn and it cost £15 K at the time. Cheers Bewick.

Kempston:

Yes well i watched one of those load 3 site dumpers at our place and secured them by just throwing a strap over the skip and one over the rear deck, wasnt clever really
Tony

tonyj105:

Kempston:

Yes well i watched one of those load 3 site dumpers at our place and secured them by just throwing a strap over the skip and one over the rear deck, wasnt clever really
Tony

Have to say I know what you are saying there, the piling machine is an Hitachi EK75 weighing in at 25 tons, he had 2 chains over the tracks, I don’t doubt some would say that is sufficient but for me I would also want chains back and front at the very least. When it turned up I couldn’t believe the size of it just to build 2 bungalows but there is a small river (large brook really) very close to the back of where the bungalows will be so I suppose they need to have the footings below the water table.

Would love to know how much it’s costing if anyone has any idea? The land cost the developer £250k, + £30,000 for site clearance and drainage, there’s been 2 blokes there for the last 2 weeks with a mini digger levelling the site and ■■■■■■■ it out so I’d have thought that’s another £3k at least.

Kempston:

tonyj105:

Kempston:

Tony

Have to say I know what you are saying there, the piling machine is an Hitachi EK75 weighing in at 25 tons, he had 2 chains over the tracks, I don’t doubt some would say that is sufficient but for me I would also want chains back and front at the very least. When it turned up I couldn’t believe the size of it just to build 2 bungalows but there is a small river (large brook really) very close to the back of where the bungalows will be so I suppose they need to have the footings below the water table.//

The amount of piling or “ground stabilisation” to give it its Sunday name required by planning departments nowadays is ridiculous. My brother in law is a housebuilder and he told me that the founds that you need to put up a conservatory are the same today as you used to need for a complete house. As I stated earlier I needed to have almost 200 piles for a 500 sqm warehouse that was being built on an old railway track. If it could take a bloody steam train then it should have been fine for a warehouse but the planning dept insisted on the ground being “stabilised”. I reckon it would have been cheaper to have dug out the whole area and back filled it with stone.

Dennis Javelin:

Kempston:

tonyj105:

Kempston:

Tony

Have to say I know what you are saying there, the piling machine is an Hitachi EK75 weighing in at 25 tons, he had 2 chains over the tracks, I don’t doubt some would say that is sufficient but for me I would also want chains back and front at the very least. When it turned up I couldn’t believe the size of it just to build 2 bungalows but there is a small river (large brook really) very close to the back of where the bungalows will be so I suppose they need to have the footings below the water table.//

The amount of piling or “ground stabilisation” to give it its Sunday name required by planning departments nowadays is ridiculous. My brother in law is a housebuilder and he told me that the founds that you need to put up a conservatory are the same today as you used to need for a complete house. As I stated earlier I needed to have almost 200 piles for a 500 sqm warehouse that was being built on an old railway track. If it could take a bloody steam train then it should have been fine for a warehouse but the planning dept insisted on the ground being “stabilised”. I reckon it would have been cheaper to have dug out the whole area and back filled it with stone.

They arrived on site at 8am to start work, it’s now 9.48 and they are still setting the machine up, they have so far put three screws onto it, must be 60ft of screw there and so far haven’t dug a single hole. This is for a bungalow :laughing: you would think they’re building a multi storey car park! :laughing:

EF51E219-2290-440E-8918-D8410D19DAA9.jpeg

A Guy Otter fitted with cattle truck bodywork. Picture from History Website.
Click picture for full image.

Ray Smyth.

Guy Motors.  History Website..jpg

Friday after market at Frome, Buzzer.

NMP
Any ideas as to where the pic was taken ?

This AEC artic of J.B.Blackwell shown by Buzzer earlier today was a regular carrier of steel tubes from
Markland Scowcroft of Bromley Cross, Bolton. Markland Scowcroft became a TI ( Tube Investment )
company in the later days, along with England Tubes from Wigan.

Ray Smyth.

8307BC75-5896-41F8-A3AF-496ECBEE4319.jpeg

A Scania curtainsider delivering in Hallgate, Wigan town centre. 29.07.2021.

Ray Smyth.

Photo0470.jpg

A DAF breadvan of Roberts Bakery from Rudheath near Northwich in Cheshire
heading up Standishgate in Wigan town centre. 29.07.2021.

Ray Smyth.

Anyone noticed how many of these old photos have a motor parked outside what is probably their house? So was it because they had more time back then? I certainly used to go home and pick my case etc up and drop it off when on nights out and sometimes just for a cuppa.

8307BC75-5896-41F8-A3AF-496ECBEE4319.jpeg

Kempston:
Anyone noticed how many of these old photos have a motor parked outside what is probably their house? So was it because they had more time back then? I certainly used to go home and pick my case etc up and drop it off when on nights out and sometimes just for a cuppa.

Think I would want a much higher headboard on the trailer with that load on, Buzzer.

Suedehead:

NMP
Any ideas as to where the pic was taken ?

Always thought it was the lights at the Macclesfield Rd turn Hazel Grove. But open to correction.

Bet Swains had a good deal when they bought that lot, Buzzer