Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Buzzer:
A phew more as its so hot outside, Buzzer

Great shot of the Hughes Marathon …they also had a few Scammell Crusaders …working out of Pressed Steel Fisher,they were eventually bought out by Owens …Geraint

Lomas  (2).JPG

What about trying a drop of blended stuff Mr Dunbar?
I have recently pur - chased a couple of bottles of Cutty Sark ‘Prohibition’ 50% abv. I think it’s excellent.

masterofmalt.com/whiskies/c … mom_base_1

Look at the link and read the ‘tasting notes’ . Who the hell thinks such drivel up. ? :laughing:

Hi Buzzer, a small load of empty fish boxes for the return run to Ullapool on that Albion Chieftain, it will stop the back end bouncing and provide more traction on wintery roads up there.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

A Mitsubishi G 4 S Cash van delivering to NatWest Bank on Standishgate, in Wigan town centre today, 27.07.2021.

Ray Smyth.

Photo0463.jpg

It is not very often that I have seen an 8 wheeler with curtainsided bodywork.
This DAF was delivering slabs of concrete panels to contractors doing upgrade
work to the shop on the left. The lorry is from a company called Encon, near Chorley. 27/07/2021.

Ray Smyth.

Hi Ray it’s got a Moffat Mounty as well . Ray

stargazer148:

Ray, The driver said that when he has the Moffat Mounty which weighs between 2 and 3 tons on the back
of the DAF 32 tonner, the lorry can carry just over 17 tons, so the 8 wheeler must weigh about 12 tons empty.

Cheers, Ray… :smiley: Raymond on Sundays.

Thanks for the reply Ray…likewise on Sundays :smiley: cheers Ray

2 collections yesterday

Buzzer:
Sunday second sitting, Buzzer

The BRS Bedford milk collection motor is interesting as it was always my understanding that haulage firms that were only engaged in local work i.e. 25 miles radius or thereabouts were not included in the wholesale nationalisation of the industry in 1948 and I reckon that local farm collection and delivery work fell within that exemption but judging by the shot this was not necessarily the case ! Cheers Dennis.

Ray Smyth:
It is not very often that I have seen an 8 wheeler with curtainsided bodywork.
This DAF was delivering slabs of concrete panels to contractors doing upgrade
work to the shop on the left. The lorry is from a company called Encon, near Chorley. 27/07/2021.

Ray Smyth.

Sheffield insulation run a couple out of their Bedford D.C. nmp

Also Noble’s from Bedford run a couple.

254CDC26-FEDC-410E-BF29-94EAC18CB841.jpeg

Tuesday tune up, Buzzer.

226799460_10225549197106318_5640161187281613186_n (2).jpg

224240711_346704523696345_3523679950195799679_n.jpg

Ray Smyth:

stargazer148:

Ray, The driver said that when he has the Moffat Mounty which weighs between 2 and 3 tons on the back
of the DAF 32 tonner, the lorry can carry just over 17 tons, so the 8 wheeler must weigh about 12 tons empty.

Never having had a Mounty on the my back :unamused: , I wondered, Ray and Ray, if when empty there is a certain lack of stability. Tail trying to wag the dog. I suppose it is more a question for artics than solid 8 leggers though.

Same question to Punchy Dan too, looking at that fairly heavy load on a centre axle drag. :confused: :slight_smile:

Buzzer, the Stevens lorries are parked in front of their premises and former head office on Wick Harbour before all operations were transferred to Scrabster Harbour. Here is a photo I took in May 2005 of the engraved company details on the office window.
Leyland 600.

Spardo:

Ray Smyth:

stargazer148:

Never having had a Mounty on the my back :unamused: , I wondered, Ray and Ray, if when empty there is a certain lack of stability. Tail trying to wag the dog. I suppose it is more a question for artics than solid 8 leggers though.

Same question to Punchy Dan too, looking at that fairly heavy load on a centre axle drag. :confused: :slight_smile:

Hi Spardo haven’t used one myself but mate drives an 8 wheeler and keeps back axle down when empty.Trailers have a counter balance not sure about divide though.Someone on t/n used to drive a wagon and drag with a mounty on the drag cheers Ray

stargazer148:

Spardo:

Hi Spardo haven’t used one myself but mate drives an 8 wheeler and keeps back axle down when empty.Trailers have a counter balance not sure about divide though.Someone on t/n used to drive a wagon and drag with a mounty on the drag cheers Ray

Thanks Ray, Having once had a 4 wheeler Albion, thought to have been a coach chassis, with an enormous rear overhang I could hardly steer it with a load necessarily on the tail for a short distance, I would have been nervous if offered a Mounty. Even more so with an artic or centre axle drag. Never had one of those myself all my drags were ‘traditionals’.