Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

grumpy old man:

Buzzer:
Here’s some more, Buzzer

is the Procter & Gamble ERF one of Smith and Robinsons with the straight 8 RR petrol engine ?

Yes it is, not a great success and replaced with a turbocharged Perkins according to the fitter on Facebook who worked on it from new. The disc brakes were also replaced with conventional drums.

Pete.

Shame I didn’t take more photo’s back then.

Just a few more, Buzzer

204801265_2943821992498335_5980581134970701956_n.jpg

The Atkinson Borderer was one of the Albright & Wilson / Marchon fleet based at the Whitehaven plant now long gone . The unit was one of many supplied by Scotts of Nottingham via their Penrith dealership. The outfit will have been loading/unloading acid ( not sure which) . For about 8 years from 1974 until 1982 our McGuffle Transport Services Ltd delivered 10 or 12 loads a week of new 45 gal drums 236 per load into Marchon from the manufacturer at Aintree. The job fizzled out in '82 as the use of 45 gal packages gave way to more bulk tanker deliveries.

grumpy old man:

Buzzer:
Here’s some more, Buzzer

is the Procter & Gamble ERF one of Smith and Robinsons with the straight 8 RR petrol engine ?

This one was owned by Cawthorn Sinclairs of Birtley, They had they h ad two of them, S & R did have them as well as stated. The drivers liked them but they had several issues with them, Regards Larry.

Bewick:
The Atkinson Borderer was one of the Albright & Wilson / Marchon fleet based at the Whitehaven plant now long gone . The unit was one of many supplied by Scotts of Nottingham via their Penrith dealership. The outfit will have been loading/unloading acid ( not sure which) . For about 8 years from 1974 until 1982 our McGuffle Transport Services Ltd delivered 10 or 12 loads a week of new 45 gal drums 236 per load into Marchon from the manufacturer at Aintree. The job fizzled out in '82 as the use of 45 gal packages gave way to more bulk tanker deliveries.

Hi dennis.
I remember those A and W Borderers well running in and out of Marchon.Another company called WCBP - West ■■■■■■■■■■ By Products ran in and out of Marchon with Borderers,all ■■■■■■■ powered I think.I did many a load of Xylene and Toluene into that plant int 70s,you could tip 24/7 (which were very handy sometimes). :laughing:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis.
I remember those A and W Borderers well running in and out of Marchon.Another company called WCBP - West ■■■■■■■■■■ By Products ran in and out of Marchon with Borderers,all ■■■■■■■ powered I think.I did many a load of Xylene and Toluene into that plant int 70s,you could tip 24/7 (which were very handy sometimes). :laughing:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis.

Hiya Chris how’s it going , OK I trust ! I reckon you are a bit of a Chemist like being ably to remember those fancy chemical words ! :wink: We used to reload some of our trailers out of Marchon or the Steel Works at W’ukinton quite a bit. When West ■■■■■■■■ By Products pact in I bought 5 of their Scania R 112’s from a Dealer Pal the late Malc Woodhouse snr. and they were excellent units less than 3 years old IIRC. Cheers Dennis.

Thanks to Buzzer and Birdie4x4 for the pics :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
A bit o moonlighting, better be in the Teamsters Union :laughing:

Trump White House Archived in PD 33573171853_7ef164448f_o.jpg

A few more oldies, Buzzer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wonder if that is Mrs Walker in the Leyland Octopus?

Pete.

windrush:

Pete.[/quote

Would that be Ma Walker as I think when I lifted that shot it did say that but I would not know, Buzzer.

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis.

Hiya Chris how’s it going , OK I trust ! I reckon you are a bit of a Chemist like being ably to remember those fancy chemical words ! :wink: We used to reload some of our trailers out of Marchon or the Steel Works at W’ukinton quite a bit. When West ■■■■■■■■ By Products pact in I bought 5 of their Scania R 112’s from a Dealer Pal the late Malc Woodhouse snr. and they were excellent units less than 3 years old IIRC. Cheers Dennis.

Eyup Dennis,we are both fine ovver here in North Yorks thanks,hope you are the same. You will remember that hill out of Whitehaven town centre up to Marchon I’m sure.With a multi - potter like mine carrying pet spirit it were no problem but those drivers with one potters and no baffles struggled to get up there cos the product went to back of tank and unit lost traction.I’ve actually seen a driver backing up that hill as he couldn’t get traction,but police soon put a stop to that.IIRC WCBP carried sulphur products,not certain.I got to offloading point from Sheffield one sunday morning,an 0600 delivery was requested,so it were an 0200 start.A Marchon Atki Borderer were parked up blocking my access,so I got int wagon,primed her up,built air up,but couldna sort park brake out.Never been in a unit with spring brakes before.Anyroad got it sorted int end.Them were days when quickest way Sheffield - Whitehaven were Woodhead/Manchester/M61/M6 and through Lakes on A 591.I think there’s a weight limit on that now? Happy days/nights. :laughing:

marchon4.jpg

Buzzer:

windrush:

Pete.
[/quote

Would that be Ma Walker as I think when I lifted that shot it did say that but I would not know, Buzzer.

Yes, that’s who I meant but obviously I didn’t know the lady personally! If it is then folk spoke well of her.

Pete.

windrush:

Buzzer:

windrush:

Pete.
[/quote

Yes, that’s who I meant but obviously I didn’t know the lady personally! If it is then folk spoke well of her.

Pete.

Neither did I Pete, but for a long time I wondered if the term Ma Walker was because the firm was M. A. Walker, rather than an actual lady running it.

One thing does interest me though, I am an old driver rather than an ancient driver :unamused: , and I have seen roping jobs like that before, there was one the other day on a Morris Commercial 4 wheeler, and have my doubts as to effectiveness of the load security. I am not talking about the rather scrappy bunched up sheet on the front, I can see that is an attempt to protect the ropes from damage due to sharp edges underneath. No names, no pack drill, but I know there are older members than me here :wink: :laughing: who may be able to help me out on this. :smiley:

Lastly, I am trying to read the name on the door, it seems to say Pinders Garage, not sure. Is that the original name of M. A. Walker or another enterprise altogether? And if it isn’t, then maybe that is not the fabled Ma Walker after all, just a rather formally dressed lady who happened to be passing by. :laughing:

I do have some tenuous connection to the firm I think. When I was converting Toray’s fleet of rigids and artics to drawbar outfits, I sold a Leyland Roadtrain tractor to them via the good offices of my old friend Tony Tyler of A and H Transport of Long Eaton, who acted as middle man. :smiley:

Spardo:

windrush:

Buzzer:

windrush:

Pete.
[/quote

Pete.

Neither did I Pete, but for a long time I wondered if the term Ma Walker was because the firm was M. A. Walker, rather than an actual lady running it.

One thing does interest me though, I am an old driver rather than an ancient driver :unamused: , and I have seen roping jobs like that before, there was one the other day on a Morris Commercial 4 wheeler, and have my doubts as to effectiveness of the load security. I am not talking about the rather scrappy bunched up sheet on the front, I can see that is an attempt to protect the ropes from damage due to sharp edges underneath. No names, no pack drill, but I know there are older members than me here :wink: :laughing: who may be able to help me out on this. :smiley:

Lastly, I am trying to read the name on the door, it seems to say Pinders Garage, not sure. Is that the original name of M. A. Walker or another enterprise altogether? And if it isn’t, then maybe that is not the fabled Ma Walker after all, just a rather formally dressed lady who happened to be passing by. :laughing:

I do have some tenuous connection to the firm I think. When I was converting Toray’s fleet of rigids and artics to drawbar outfits, I sold a Leyland Roadtrain tractor to them via the good offices of my old friend Tony Tyler of A and H Transport of Long Eaton, who acted as middle man. :smiley:

Not a Dolly in sight either,and the thickness of those ropes wouldnt allow much rope tautness to be applied in any case.

David

The name on the door is Kinders Garage and Haulage,not sure if Ma Walker’s was the same company or if it’s her in saddle though.Apparantly she was a fair person but not to be tangled with. :smiley:

Three rigid bulkers and a couple old banger cars, Buzzer

204308128_2190847721056146_2488831724782880627_n.jpg

Chris Webb:
The name on the door is Kinders Garage and Haulage,not sure if Ma Walker’s was the same company or if it’s her in saddle though.Apparantly she was a fair person but not to be tangled with. :smiley:

Reading this article I think that is the Lady Chris?

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … -am-walker

Pete.

windrush:

Chris Webb:

Reading this article I think that is the Lady Chris?

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … -am-walker

Pete.

Thanks Pete. I’ve seen another photo of that Octopus,think it were loaded with cement mixers.