Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

windrush:

Chris Webb:
The name on the door is Kinders Garage and Haulage,not sure if Ma Walker’s was the same company or if it’s her in saddle though.Apparantly she was a fair person but not to be tangled with. :smiley:

Reading this article I think that is the Lady Chris?

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … -am-walker

Pete.

That is fascinating Pete, if only for the fact that for most of a century I have reversed her initials without noticing it. :blush: :laughing:

Blimey Chris, did you know that about Kinders, or do you have double glazed specs, blowed if I could read that first letter. :unamused:

And fancy all of us calling a real ‘Lady’, Ma. :laughing: :laughing:

5thwheel:
Not a Dolly in sight either,and the thickness of those ropes wouldnt allow much rope tautness to be applied in any case.

David

My thoughts exactly David. No way they could be tight enough for such a load, even at 20 mph, one pothole and you would be waiting for a forklift to straighten it up.

I loaded timber out of Tilbury once, every hook double dollied, first stop just out of town to a transport cafe with a traditional moonscape park and the load started to shift. More rope, more dollies, and I proceeded with caution but, by the time I was halfway round the N. Circular, it was looking extremely dodgy.

I pulled over and fortunately found that I was within 200 yards of a Pickfords depot, so I walked in there and explained my plight and they immediately sent a forkie down the road to put me straight. They certainly never asked me for any money and I don’t recall it being mentioned back at base later, so full marks to the brotherhood of the road. :smiley:

Just a few more, Buzzer

205496894_3047153298901808_2742429844798999152_n.jpg

205351584_2870984859881544_595230724295988031_n.jpg

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:
The Atkinson Borderer was one of the Albright & Wilson / Marchon fleet based at the Whitehaven plant now long gone . The unit was one of many supplied by Scotts of Nottingham via their Penrith dealership. The outfit will have been loading/unloading acid ( not sure which) . For about 8 years from 1974 until 1982 our McGuffle Transport Services Ltd delivered 10 or 12 loads a week of new 45 gal drums 236 per load into Marchon from the manufacturer at Aintree. The job fizzled out in '82 as the use of 45 gal packages gave way to more bulk tanker deliveries.

Hi Dennis.
I remember those A and W Borderers well running in and out of Marchon.Another company called WCBP - West ■■■■■■■■■■ By Products ran in and out of Marchon with Borderers,all ■■■■■■■ powered I think.I did many a load of Xylene and Toluene into that plant int 70s,you could tip 24/7 (which were very handy sometimes). :laughing:

Hiya Chris how’s it going , OK I trust ! I reckon you are a bit of a Chemist like being ably to remember those fancy chemical words ! :wink: We used to reload some of our trailers out of Marchon or the Steel Works at W’ukinton quite a bit. When West ■■■■■■■■ By Products pact in I bought 5 of their Scania R 112’s from a Dealer Pal the late Malc Woodhouse snr. and they were excellent units less than 3 years old IIRC. Cheers Dennis.

Eyup Dennis,we are both fine ovver here in North Yorks thanks,hope you are the same. You will remember that hill out of Whitehaven town centre up to Marchon I’m sure.With a multi - potter like mine carrying pet spirit it were no problem but those drivers with one potters and no baffles struggled to get up there cos the product went to back of tank and unit lost traction.I’ve actually seen a driver backing up that hill as he couldn’t get traction,but police soon put a stop to that.IIRC WCBP carried sulphur products,not certain.I got to offloading point from Sheffield one sunday morning,an 0600 delivery was requested,so it were an 0200 start.A Marchon Atki Borderer were parked up blocking my access,so I got int wagon,primed her up,built air up,but couldna sort park brake out.Never been in a unit with spring brakes before.Anyroad got it sorted int end.Them were days when quickest way Sheffield - Whitehaven were Woodhead/Manchester/M61/M6 and through Lakes on A 591.I think there’s a weight limit on that now? Happy days/nights. :laughing:

The Phosphate rock came into Whitehaven from Morocco and it was transhipped by lighter from Ship to harbour then it was run up from the dock 24/7 first using AEC 8 wheelers then later specially low geared Sed Atks because of the steep hill up from the town to Kells where the plant was located.

Philip Judge machinery and forage merchant and haulier, Buzzer

A fare day yesterday 20 tonnes of asphalt to Leicester and 24 pallets to Crail in Fife .

The Phosphate rock came into Whitehaven from Morocco and it was transhipped by lighter from Ship to harbour then it was run up from the dock 24/7 first using AEC 8 wheelers then later specially low geared Sed Atks because of the steep hill up from the town to Kells where the plant was located.
Bewick

Yes Dennis,there’s a book about Marchon,very interesting too.The AEC MK5 Mammoth Majors took 16 tons at a time.Loading was controlled by driver.

marchon.jpg

Punchy Dan:
A fare day yesterday 20 tonnes of asphalt to Leicester and 24 pallets to Crail in Fife .

I wonder if Dan’l was parked up outside the glass replacement shop enquiring about a new windscreen for the “Steamer” as they stopped making them in 1935 ! :blush: :blush: :unamused: :unamused: :confused: :confused: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Here is the Sunday collection, Buzzer

208389901_4383620038315706_2735423320490738828_n.png

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

I wonder if Dan’l was parked up outside the glass replacement shop enquiring about a new windscreen for the “Steamer” as they stopped making them in 1935 ! :blush: :blush: :unamused: :unamused: :confused: :confused: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Denzil I could still wipe the floor with you if I had a horse n cart :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Here’s one for Dennis, nmp- lifted from Farsebook.

Cheers all,

Keith

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Denzil I could still wipe the floor with you if I had a horse n cart :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Not a lot of difference between a Foden and a horse and cart ! :frowning: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

kmills:

Here’s one for Dennis, nmp- lifted from Farsebook.

Cheers all,

Keith

I’ve seen this shot before but I have no idea where it would have been taken or who the Geezer is either ! Cheers Dennis.

Buzzer:

Not a lot ground clearance Buzzer,do they hydraulically raise themselves perhaps?

David

5thwheel:

Buzzer:

Not a lot ground clearance Buzzer,do they hydraulically raise themselves perhaps?

David

Personally I dont like it so close to the tarmac as always a risk of grounding out but it may be on air all round to lift if neccesary, Buzzer

NMP

A tadge more, Buzzer

That’s a strange way of stacking flour bags on the Holgate’s Guy. To help the driver distinguish different customers perhaps?

18 September 1985
Dolgellau
Gwynedd
Cym

WCH 997
a 1961 Leyland Comet 4x2
Serving with Simons and Sons
Untaxed since 1986

The Star Atkinson looks like it could have done with a couple of bearers spread along the middle of the platform :slight_smile: