Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

albion1938:

Buzzer:
Older selection today, Buzzer

Covent Garden market, wartime or soon after, the lorries have white paint round the edges for the blackout. Always have a good look at pictures and films of the Garden looking for my Albion, but never spotted it yet, it worked in the flower market and the photos always seem to be out in the square.
Bernard

And helpful white paint on the cab roof too. :open_mouth: :laughing:

I delivered a load of Apples from France to the Garden when working for Gauthier’s. Arrived in the evening so had plenty of time, parked outside the gate and asked the man in the booth how much it was to get in and did he take euros. He said pounds only and told me the cost and I went back to the cab to see if I could afford it from my precious hoard. I could but was sad to be letting them go, never know when you might need them. Then drove up to the gate clambered across the cab and proffered the right money, only to be told ‘Oh, no need mate, foreigners don’t have to pay’. :astonished: :laughing:

I love the English, when I am not English of course. :wink: Had a similar experience at Sainsbury’s, Waltham Cross or Forest I think. They directed me against the one way system so I didn’t have to back in on my blind side, and then when I thought I would have to wait till the morning, said ‘the no tipping ban in the afternoons does not apply to foreigners’. :laughing:

Here’s three more of varying breeds, never seen a JELCZ before anyone know out about the make ? Buzzer

Couple from this morning

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG
Ade

Buzzer:
Here’s three more of varying breeds, never seen a JELCZ before anyone know out about the make ? Buzzer

Jelcz (pronounced like Yelch after a town by the same name) is a Polish brand of trucks also military, buses and trolley buses produced by Zakłady Samochodowe Jelcz, Jelczańskie Zakłady Samochodowe - both names roughly translating as Automotive Works of [town] Jelcz. Currently company operates as Jelcz with focus on offroad military trucks manufacturing. In 1952, a decision was made to use a former German armaments factory in Jelcz-Laskowice near Wrocław for production in new western Poland. A company called “Zakłady Budowy Nadwozi Samochodowych” (“Automobile Chassis Works”) was established. After reconstruction of the factory the company started to develop and build car-bodies for Lublin and Star trucks. The company built buses like the Jelcz PR110D.

Buzzer:

The Jelcz is Polish, also makers of PSVs and military trucks,
The one in the pic looks fairly decent, if somewhat dated.

JELCZ, NOT SEEN ONE BEFORE WHAT NATIONALITY ARE THEY ?

Jelcz are from Warsaw, Poland Dean. The Jelcz name was used from 1968 previously known as Zubr from 1960. They used Wola-Leyland Power Plus engines built on license from around 1972 and Steyr engines and even in the 80’s used Leyland based engines. To date they produce 16 to 42 tonne models over a range of 27 trucks using MB, Steyr, Iveco, Star and Mielec power plants. Franky.

Spardo:

albion1938:

Buzzer:
Older selection today, Buzzer

Covent Garden market, wartime or soon after, the lorries have white paint round the edges for the blackout. Always have a good look at pictures and films of the Garden looking for my Albion, but never spotted it yet, it worked in the flower market and the photos always seem to be out in the square.
Bernard

And helpful white paint on the cab roof too. :open_mouth: :laughing:

I delivered a load of Apples from France to the Garden when working for Gauthier’s. Arrived in the evening so had plenty of time, parked outside the gate and asked the man in the booth how much it was to get in and did he take euros. He said pounds only and told me the cost and I went back to the cab to see if I could afford it from my precious hoard. I could but was sad to be letting them go, never know when you might need them. Then drove up to the gate clambered across the cab and proffered the right money, only to be told ‘Oh, no need mate, foreigners don’t have to pay’. :astonished: :laughing:

I love the English, when I am not English of course. :wink: Had a similar experience at Sainsbury’s, Waltham Cross or Forest I think. They directed me against the one way system so I didn’t have to back in on my blind side, and then when I thought I would have to wait till the morning, said ‘the no tipping ban in the afternoons does not apply to foreigners’. :laughing:

:laughing: David.
SOL- South London Storage used to backload out of Wincanton at Maltby,usually Snodland or Dartford.A lot were subbies traction only and had various fridge trailers.One came in with a Turkish 26 palleter,complete with Crescent,driver from “Landan”,so I told him when he booked in at transport office to pretend not to speak English which he did.Office staff were looking out of window seeing me having a conversation with him cab to cab and were amazed that I could speak Turkish.However,one of the more savvy office staff noticed the UK reg plate on his wagon… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:
SOL- South London Storage used to backload out of Wincanton at Maltby,usually Snodland or Dartford.A lot were subbies traction only and had various fridge trailers.One came in with a Turkish 26 palleter,complete with Crescent,driver from “Landan”,so I told him when he booked in at transport office to pretend not to speak English which he did.Office staff were looking out of window seeing me having a conversation with him cab to cab and were amazed that I could speak Turkish.However,one of the more savvy office staff noticed the UK reg plate on his wagon… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, it is the plate that matters I suppose, I made no secret of the fact that I was English because I realised that it was the wagon that mattered, not the driver.

One other where I got ‘special’ treatment was at Halewood, think that was Sainsbury’s too. I was pulled right from the back of a queue to be tipped before all the UK drivers. They were not pleased and I was embarrassed as I wasn’t booked in to a rdv time. That is one occasion when I became ‘French’ in order not to get into an argument with the drivers, not the dock staff. :wink:

On the other hand, no special treatment at McGregor Cory, London area I think, I had to reverse 100 metres in a narrowing yard to the last bay on my blindside. No problem of course, I am a professional after all. :unamused: :laughing: Mind you I had to do that with a wagon and drag in Gauthier’s own yard here once, it was a Saturday morning and I had only called in for my expenses but they needed to load the drag and there were no French drivers on hand who could handle a ‘traditionnel’. :laughing:

Spardo:

Chris Webb:

Yes, it is the plate that matters I suppose, I made no secret of the fact that I was English because I realised that it was the wagon that mattered, not the driver.

One other where I got ‘special’ treatment was at Halewood, think that was Sainsbury’s too. I was pulled right from the back of a queue to be tipped before all the UK drivers. They were not pleased and I was embarrassed as I wasn’t booked in to a rdv time. That is one occasion when I became ‘French’ in order not to get into an argument with the drivers, not the dock staff. :wink:

On the other hand, no special treatment at McGregor Cory, London area I think, I had to reverse 100 metres in a narrowing yard to the last bay on my blindside. No problem of course, I am a professional after all. :unamused: :laughing: Mind you I had to do that with a wagon and drag in Gauthier’s own yard here once, it was a Saturday morning and I had only called in for my expenses but they needed to load the drag and there were no French drivers on hand who could handle a ‘traditionnel’. :laughing:

Bit of a “dying” talent it seems David, as they used to have quite a lot of wag and drags (A-frame) in French fleets…

rigsby:

pv83:

oiltreader:
A82 Glasgow Fort William at Tyndrum Stirlingshire.
Oily
Tyndrum Gold Mine
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- … s-54886709

Would they be more recognisable if they had the Union Jack back on the grill again?

You’re a little rascal Patrick , don’t go upsetting those snp loonies any more than they already are .

:laughing: :laughing:

robthedog:
What have they done to the roof of that ?

Wasn’t that part of a French racing/stunt team?

Spotted this tidy looking outfit at Nobis truckstop in Holland, does anyone recognise it?

Going back a bit today, Buzzer

pv83:

Spardo:

Bit of a “dying” talent it seems David, as they used to have quite a lot of wag and drags (A-frame) in French fleets…

Yes it is. When I was there he had mostly artics, but about half a dozen traditional drags and 3 of those 6 wheeler extendibles with that great big fat telescopic towing ram. It was one of the latter that they had me move, no trouble at all, but took me ages to work out how to disconnect it. :unamused: :laughing:

Now it is just artics and ‘caravans’. No finesse needed with those. :wink: :laughing:

Oily one for you, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Oily one for you, Buzzer

Johnson’s from Ancroft near Berwick on Tweed. Did a lot of livestock as well general.

Tyneside

Picked up a drawbar trailer from the sand blasters yesterday near Raunds, ERF still earning its keep by shunting trailers in & out of the workshop.

dave docwra:
Picked up a drawbar trailer from the sand blasters yesterday near Raunds, ERF still earning its keep by shunting trailers in & out of the workshop.

Looks like a Boughton trailer Dave?

pete smith:

dave docwra:

Hi Pete, Its actually a Couldwell trailer, very similar to a Boughton & almost a copy I would hasten to add.I have to start painting it on Monday & I really can not wait :slight_smile:

dave docwra:

pete smith:

dave docwra:

Hi Pete, Its actually a Couldwell trailer, very similar to a Boughton & almost a copy I would hasten to add.I have to start painting it on Monday & I really can not wait :slight_smile:

Hi Dave,
I have not seen a Couldwell trailer for a few years, I seem to remember H W Martin having a few,