Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Kempston:

oiltreader:
Load transfer at Dingwall June 2020.
Oily

Might be a stupid question but could they have not just swapped trailers?

Crane not needed, or needed, at the delivery point? :wink: :sunglasses:

Other reason, many hauliers prefer drivers to keep, and look after, their own trailers. At Gauthier’s here for some reason a mate and I had each others’ trailers for a short time and my mate loaded mine with apples in Northern France for England. We had to rdv to swap trailers which we were both pleased about, but it did cause me a heart stopping moment. Many drivers, not me, never, combatted the lack of room between the back of the cab and the frigo unit by pulling the pin and moving forward a few inches before disconnecting the suzies. Giles did just that and I saw with horror my trailer slowly rolling backwards off the 5th wheel. I manged to reach in and stamp my hand on the footbrake before disaster struck, until he cut the connections. :open_mouth:

Kempston:

oiltreader:
Oily

With today’s requirement of certificates for haulage handling equipment etc I guess the chap on the crane had the ticket. The delivery was for Travis Perkins and a reverse shunt into the yard with space for one wagon.
This snap April 2021.
Oily

robthedog:

How time flies, only seems a few weeks ago i’d be loading return/sale cars out of one of the Heathrow rental sites and one of Comical Collections would turn up.
Known as Comical affectionately, not is a disparaging way.

oiltreader:

Kempston:

oiltreader:
Oily

With today’s requirement of certificates for haulage handling equipment etc I guess the chap on the crane had the ticket. The delivery was for Travis Perkins and a reverse shunt into the yard with space for one wagon.
This snap April 2021.
Oily

Good point Oily.

The crane for offloading at the building site is in the trailer so swapping trailers wouldn’t work.

Smart ! Any takers? NMP

Hi coomsey, ta for the pic :smiley: , a suitable caption would be grafter
Oily

Tebay 2014.
Oily

Livestock TKN 14956437691_be6966be6a_k.jpg

Couple more.
Oily

Morrison Bedford from 1976.

coomsey:
Smart ! Any takers? NMP

…or driver with bad right leg?

David

Thanks to DEANB for the pic :smiley:
A cute Willeme credit to Dave Fawcett for the photo.
Oily

These old photo’s bring back some memories. Not just that nice looking Dodge, but the white Heart pub in the background with the Toby Ales sign. I haven’t got a clue where it is though. Thanks for posting Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Larry, another gem from the past! Transways, I seem to remember them at Portobello Birtley around about the time the A1.M was opened. I think the colours were blue and silver then? Had they originally been from South Shields? the Dodge is registered there.Regards Kev.

peterm:
These old photo’s bring back some memories. Not just that nice looking Dodge, but the white Heart pub in the background with the Toby Ales sign. I haven’t got a clue where it is though. Thanks for posting Larry.

Don’t they just, that model Dodge was my first artic. I had been driving a similarly LAD cabbed Albion 4 wheeler for Shaw’s, when one of the 3 Dodges became available. I had never driven an artic before but it was already loaded (28 foot 4 in line) with a ‘wide load’, Raleigh bikes (typical 9" overhang each side subbed from Midland Storage) and the new boss, Kerry Spencer, said take it home with you and practice on that bit of waste land where you normally park over the weekend. I did and struggled to get the hang of it, but on Monday, in the company of an old and experienced artic driver, I set off for Liverpool docks (sorry about the bad language :blush: ).

After our customary half day leisure break on the dock road, he drove in through the gates and I watched with horror as he didn’t allow for the overhang and ripped the side out of the sheets, destroying several bikes, on the dock gate post.

I managed to avoid that and furthermore when told to reverse into the dark warehouse on the blind side, and then round a corner inside, was preening myself at, after so much ‘disaster’ over the weekend, having got to my spot without mishap. :smiley:

Then I came down to earth with a bump. I unloaded the whole lot completely alone. Removed the giant sheets, folded them, then climbed up on the precarious stack to kick them off to bounce all over the floor. Then climb down to stack them on the pallet provided before back up again for the next stack while the lone Scouse checker yawned and ticked his boxes.

Yes, what memories a simple picture of a lurry (as my Grandad used to pronounce it) engenders. :wink: :slight_smile: