Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

I followed a 73 Chevy like that, same colour too near to where I live. There was a vintage car rally near by which probably explains why I’ve never seen it before or since.

Spardo:

coomsey:
Ay up Dean! N here I was thinking they were rare. I drove one for a few miles n wasn’t fussed God only knows what an half cab would’ve been like

Not fussed Coomsey? In their day they were the bee’s knees. First one I saw was in 1960 with a visiting driver, I thought it was a sleeper cab. :laughing:

But later I drove one for a while and it was warm, comfy, and quiet. What’s not to like? :smiley: And, if you were small and skinny enough, you could sleep on that parcel shelf at a pinch. :laughing:

I was driving an Akky Defender at the time n nothing in the TK was tempting me S, even the sleeping accommodation. Cheers Coomsey

coomsey:

Spardo:

coomsey:
Ay up Dean! N here I was thinking they were rare. I drove one for a few miles n wasn’t fussed God only knows what an half cab would’ve been like

Not fussed Coomsey? In their day they were the bee’s knees. First one I saw was in 1960 with a visiting driver, I thought it was a sleeper cab. :laughing:

But later I drove one for a while and it was warm, comfy, and quiet. What’s not to like? :smiley: And, if you were small and skinny enough, you could sleep on that parcel shelf at a pinch. :laughing:

I was driving an Akky Defender at the time n nothing in the TK was tempting me S, even the sleeping accommodation. Cheers Coomsey

:laughing: :laughing: I didn’t say I would swap, just that it was a pleasant change for a brief period. :wink: :laughing:

But I had forgotten about that lethal transmission brake, Had one in my Foden and when a half shaft broke had to sit there holding it on the footbrake till someone passed by and shoved a block under the wheels. :smiling_imp:

Franglais:
With chimney fires I was told that pouring water slowly onto the fire, would send steam up the chimney, so starving the burning tar deposits of air, and extinguish the fire.
Never needed to try it so don’t know how well it would work.

Mrs Howram would tell the fire brigade to “bugga off” (they never did), her reasoning was to let the fire burn itself out and at a stroke…she would save the cost of the chimney sweep man. :smiley:

grumpy old man:

Franglais:
With chimney fires I was told that pouring water slowly onto the fire, would send steam up the chimney, so starving the burning tar deposits of air, and extinguish the fire.

Mrs Howram would tell the fire brigade to “bugga off” (they never did), her reasoning was to let the fire burn itself out and at a stroke…she would save the cost of the chimney sweep man. :smiley:

I’ve never experienced a chimney fire, so what is the danger in leaving it alone till it runs out of fuel? Can it spread to the rest of the house somehow?

Spardo:

grumpy old man:

Franglais:

I’ve never experienced a chimney fire, so what is the danger in leaving it alone till it runs out of fuel? Can it spread to the rest of the house somehow?

I did exactly that David,the log burner(supposedly annually swept) had the SS flue pipe discharging out of an existing 135 year old chimney,flue caught alight on a 45degree elbow,wife said call the Bombeiros,not on your life said I,left it to burn itself out in around 5 minutes,the Bombeiros would have flooded the house out!..I now clean/sweep the flue pipe out myself and have done so for the last 3 years,with out further problems I might add!

Stay safe,

David

5thwheel:

Spardo:

grumpy old man:

Franglais:

I did exactly that David,the log burner(supposedly annually swept) had the SS flue pipe discharging out of an existing 135 year old chimney,flue caught alight on a 45degree elbow,wife said call the Bombeiros,not on your life said I,left it to burn itself out in around 5 minutes,the Bombeiros would have flooded the house out!..I now clean/sweep the flue pipe out myself and have done so for the last 3 years,with out further problems I might add!

Stay safe,

David

Until we went over to air to air heating (which reverts to air conditioning in summer) 3 years ago that was my regular August job. One corner of the roof is only a step ladder away from the ground and the pitch gentle enough for me to walk up to the chimney. A swift push down with the brush and job done. As long as the fire doors were closed down below no mess. The hardest part was removing and replacing the heavy cast iron baffle each time.
Nice view from up there too, took the camera up one day. :laughing:

grumpy old man:

Franglais:

We used to shove a couple of sheets of the news of the world up , burst of flames , shower of sparks and job done . Only after dark though . Tried sweeping it once and half a brick shot down and threw soot everywhere .

rigsby:

grumpy old man:

Franglais:

We used to shove a couple of sheets of the news of the world up , burst of flames , shower of sparks and job done . Only after dark though . Tried sweeping it once and half a brick shot down and threw soot everywhere .

Same job for my dad rigsby a plug of newspapers a match and whoosh then outside to see a chimney pot with flame cap followed by billowing black smoke which would shame any factory stack :laughing: for us peasants coal was a precious commodity and only used when mother needed a glow fire for baking on but mostly firewood and father would not burn birch because of the sugary sap content that formed a hard soot cake.
Oily

Suedehead:

Hi Suedehead is that the same firm that did Bradstone block and slab.
Oily

Thanks to Suedehead and Lawrence Dunbar for the pics. :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
Dutch x 10 axles all credit to Paul Smith for the photo.

Dutch Paul Smith cc by nc sa 2.0 5754322006_8036ef254b_b.jpg

Timber haulers up north.
Oily

You had to try hard to get one of these stuck ! Mid 80s opencast. NMP

Not sure what’s going on here… but does anyone recognise the car…? :blush:

pv83:

Looks like a MGB going by the wheels

MGB.jpg

oiltreader:
Timber haulers up north.
Oily

It looks the blue Cormack DAF CF is fitted with something which could be either a tyre pressure checking devices on driving axles, or even to adapt the pressure. That was common in France in the '50s and '60s, but do you confirm? Thanks!

coomsey:
You had to try hard to get one of these stuck ! Mid 80s opencast. NMP

Terberg used Volvo running gear,cabs etc. Did you ever drive one Coomsey ?

terberg rich.PNG

pv83:

Bit top heavy Patrick, gotta check that undercarriage is up to it :laughing: and yes agree with DJ it’s an MGB.
Oily

Froggy55:

oiltreader:
Timber haulers up north.
Oily

It looks the blue Cormack DAF CF is fitted with something which could be either a tyre pressure checking devices on driving axles, or even to adapt the pressure. That was common in France in the '50s and '60s, but do you confirm? Thanks!

Yes tyre pressure adjustment for traction gain on softer ground, a while back I chatted to a artic driver who had the system on the trailer singles as well, something about eco impact in some forest areas.
Oily

Highland 28393646661_65c4854375_k.jpg

Another with trailer tyre pressure adjustment.
Oily