Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Thanks to coomsey, pv83, Dennis Javelin and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
A five axle Terberg.

Terberg,_Van_Vliet_Contrans_pic2 Alf van Beem PD.jpg

Showing the steer axles.
Oily

Bit of unusual rare bit of kit offered for sale near me in Winchester an Opperman cart driven by a single cylinder 500cc JAP engine it has four forward gears & a reverse, apparently favoured by market gardeners & chose this as it was quite light over the ground and therefore made less mess

Spardo:

grumpy old man:

Franglais:
With chimney fires I was told that pouring water slowly onto the fire, would send steam up the chimney, so starving the burning tar deposits of air, and extinguish the fire.
Never needed to try it so don’t know how well it would work.

Mrs Howram would tell the fire brigade to “bugga off” (they never did), her reasoning was to let the fire burn itself out and at a stroke…she would save the cost of the chimney sweep man. :smiley:

I’ve never experienced a chimney fire, so what is the danger in leaving it alone till it runs out of fuel? Can it spread to the rest of the house somehow?

I don’t know, we never got that far, the fire brigade came (3 incidents to my knowledge) and they extinguished the fire. Soot and water everywhere. Dad ranting at mother, mother ranting at firemen, and the whole street watching free entertainment.
Got to say, chimney fires were not uncommon with open coal fires, to avoid them the secret was to have the chimney swept regularly (avoid the build up of soot), it was the soot that caught fire.

3 different views of the same stretch of road. This is Great Western Rd, Glasgow at the entrance to the old Knightswood bus garage. The first pic shows a scene from the early 60’s featuring an AEC Regent heading west in the foreground with a Leyland Atlantean heading in the opposite direction. The AEC would have been approaching the end of its working life with Glasgow Corporation at this point being around 12 years old. The second is showing an almost 18 years old First bus was taken today from approximately the same spot. The third, taken in 1950, shows the same location but from the east including what the road looked like when it was a tram route.

Gt Western Rd 1950.jpg

11 Bus Gt Western Rd.jpg

DEANB:

coomsey:
You had to try hard to get one of these stuck ! Mid 80s opencast. NMP

Terberg used Volvo running gear,cabs etc. Did you ever drive one Coomsey ?

No Dean mores the pity, nearly flattened one with 300t truck when the nit of a driver didn’t give way when he should have. We’d be parked up with the least amount of rain they never did cheers Coomsey

Dennis Javelin:

pv83:
Not sure what’s going on here… but does anyone recognise the car…? :blush:

Looks like a MGB going by the wheels

The pic is actually and MGC. 6 cylinder with torsion bar front suspension. A heavy engine that made handling a touch iffy. They should have simply gone straight to the V8…

PS Forgot to mention-you can tell a B from a C by the hump on the bonnet.

I’ve never experienced a chimney fire, so what is the danger in leaving it alone till it runs out of fuel? Can it spread to the rest of the house somehow?
Simple answer is it certainly can. Chimney fires can be slow burners or the type where flames are shooting three or four feet out of the chimney which might look spectacular but there is an awful lot of heat produced which can damage the chimney inners, create cracks and then the heat can cause fires internally. The slow burning fire in a chimney may not be so alarming as the first but there is still a considerable amount of heat built up. Different materials in a house have different combustion ranges, depending on the heat given off, materials will first start to smoke, known as Pyrolysis, this smoke is a gas and will ignite. Its the build up of this in house fires that suddenly turns a small fire in a corner into a huge ignition known as Flashover when the whole room becomes engulfed, extremely frightening to watch. In chimneys its the build up of not soot but Creosote, this is caused by the hot fire gases cooling during the upward draft of the chimney during every day use. Regular cleaning removes this but if its left and a chimney fire begins then its the Creosote that catches and depending on the amount burning to what is seen from outside. When I first started at Tyne and Wear Fire Training Centre we used 40ft containers as Fire Behaviour training exercises. They would have the bottom end of the container walled with sheets of Chipboard, set alight by using two small wigwam style fires until the boards were all burning well. Then the fire crews would go in and carry out hose techniques to quell the fire just as they would in a building. The walls of the containers were all covered in this black sticky Creosote which had to be avoided with bare skin and I was also told it contained traces of Formaldehyde, so nasty stuff. I have to say guys I done a lot of stuff with fires during my time as a Fireground Supervisor there and fire still scares the life out of me, have a look at your local Fire Service Facebook site they have lots of safety info, not only on fires but other hazards, everyone should have a fire escape plan for their home. Anyway hope that helped answer the chimney fire thing, fortunately coal fires are rare these days and burning chimney’s not so common. Franky.

We had a chimney fire when I lived at my parents house in the early 70’s, came home from work and there were fire engines outside and water everywhere. Excess soot was the cause, however with my mother’s ability to burn everything she cooked dad used to say that whenever he arrived home and no firemen were there then he assumed it was salad for dinner! :laughing:

Pete.

Takes me back, how about you ? Buzzer.

Dipster:

Dennis Javelin:

pv83:
Not sure what’s going on here… but does anyone recognise the car…? :blush:

Looks like a MGB going by the wheels

The pic is actually and MGC. 6 cylinder with torsion bar front suspension. A heavy engine that made handling a touch iffy. They should have simply gone straight to the V8…

PS Forgot to mention-you can tell a B from a C by the hump on the bonnet.

I never even noticed the engine hump :unamused:

Buzzer:

Indeed it does. But there are times when I think we really lived in a different world. We did things for ourselves, spoke less about “my rights” ( I always told my kids don’t think about your rights, just your duties to others) and rarely thought whether one could get compensation whenever something went wrong…

Frankydobo:
Simple answer is it certainly can. Chimney fires can be slow burners or the type where flames are shooting three or four feet out of the chimney which might look spectacular but there is an awful lot of heat produced which can damage the chimney inners, create cracks and then the heat can cause fires internally. The slow burning fire in a chimney may not be so alarming as the first but there is still a considerable amount of heat built up. Different materials in a house have different combustion ranges, depending on the heat given off, materials will first start to smoke, known as Pyrolysis, this smoke is a gas and will ignite. Its the build up of this in house fires that suddenly turns a small fire in a corner into a huge ignition known as Flashover when the whole room becomes engulfed, extremely frightening to watch. In chimneys its the build up of not soot but Creosote, this is caused by the hot fire gases cooling during the upward draft of the chimney during every day use. Regular cleaning removes this but if its left and a chimney fire begins then its the Creosote that catches and depending on the amount burning to what is seen from outside. When I first started at Tyne and Wear Fire Training Centre we used 40ft containers as Fire Behaviour training exercises. They would have the bottom end of the container walled with sheets of Chipboard, set alight by using two small wigwam style fires until the boards were all burning well. Then the fire crews would go in and carry out hose techniques to quell the fire just as they would in a building. The walls of the containers were all covered in this black sticky Creosote which had to be avoided with bare skin and I was also told it contained traces of Formaldehyde, so nasty stuff. I have to say guys I done a lot of stuff with fires during my time as a Fireground Supervisor there and fire still scares the life out of me, have a look at your local Fire Service Facebook site they have lots of safety info, not only on fires but other hazards, everyone should have a fire escape plan for their home. Anyway hope that helped answer the chimney fire thing, fortunately coal fires are rare these days and burning chimney’s not so common. Franky.

Thanks Franky, very interesting and informative. Here we have a wood burner with a steel insert all the way up the chimney. As I said earlier we do not use it anymore but when I did and swept it every year there was not a helluva lot of stuff in the sealed stove at the bottom. Glad I did so though as if flames come out of the top in a house surrounded on 2 sides by forest that could have been catastrophic. A couple of time I have been tempted to re-light it since, just for the nice feeling only a naked flame can engender, but I am put off by the fact that there might be a bird’s nest up there now. :open_mouth:

Buzzer:

This reminds me of the time, not so long ago, i was a tad critical of teachers not opening schools to provide somewhere safe for those kids that did make it. Even if it meant abandoning normal lessons for the day…
You would have thought i had suggested that teachers should trek to the North Pole ,and back.
One even retorted. ’ I have to get to my school by bus,’ eerr`, Further remarks that we used to get to school/work and back, whatever the weather provoked a barrage of excuses, 'elf and safety explanations plus thinly veiled insults,
When i asked if teachers got paid if they did not turn up, i was told it was immaterial and not my business…
I gave up in the end.

Spardo:

Frankydobo:

Thanks Franky, very interesting and informative. Here we have a wood burner with a steel insert all the way up the chimney. As I said earlier we do not use it anymore but when I did and swept it every year there was not a helluva lot of stuff in the sealed stove at the bottom. Glad I did so though as if flames come out of the top in a house surrounded on 2 sides by forest that could have been catastrophic. A couple of time I have been tempted to re-light it since, just for the nice feeling only a naked flame can engender, but I am put off by the fact that there might be a bird’s nest up there now. :open_mouth:

Modern stoves and fires will often have stainless steel pipes all the way up to the top. Older builds may have heavy fireclay or brick chimneys. The mortar in the actual fireplace may be proper heat resistant stuff, but the top of a traditionally built house may be normal brick and mortar. Give that a bit of intense local heat, from a tar fire, as opposed to a bit of hot air and gases and the temp difference could give a failure. maybe not an immediate fire, but a strong wind, and the chimney stack comes down through the tiles. The outside pointing could look good, but the structure would be compromised, just a stack of bricks separated by sand.

If your going to have a half cab then make sure your carrying something worthwhile

NMP

Oily these two taken at Nigg bay 2019.

oiltreader:

Froggy55:

oiltreader:
Timber haulers up north.
Oily

It looks the blue Cormack DAF CF is fitted with something which could be either a tyre pressure checking devices on driving axles, or even to adapt the pressure. That was common in France in the '50s and '60s, but do you confirm? Thanks!

Yes tyre pressure adjustment for traction gain on softer ground, a while back I chatted to a artic driver who had the system on the trailer singles as well, something about eco impact in some forest areas.
Oily

Thanks!

Buzzer:
Bit of unusual rare bit of kit offered for sale near me in Winchester an Opperman cart driven by a single cylinder 500cc JAP engine it has four forward gears & a reverse, apparently favoured by market gardeners & chose this as it was quite light over the ground and therefore made less mess

Its surprising how many small manufacturers there were about building odd little tugs/trucks like these.

Another one was Martin Bonser.

tug bonser.PNG.jpg

pyewacket947v:

Buzzer:

This reminds me of the time, not so long ago, i was a tad critical of teachers not opening schools to provide somewhere safe for those kids that did make it. Even if it meant abandoning normal lessons for the day…
You would have thought i had suggested that teachers should trek to the North Pole ,and back.
One even retorted. ’ I have to get to my school by bus,’ eerr`, Further remarks that we used to get to school/work and back, whatever the weather provoked a barrage of excuses, 'elf and safety explanations plus thinly veiled insults,
When i asked if teachers got paid if they did not turn up, i was told it was immaterial and not my business…
I gave up in the end.

Teachers have been useless for a long time now . When our son was 9 he slipped off the Climbing bars in the playground , fell 5 feet straight onto his heels . Principal took him home without checking him properly , wife got hold of me and when I got there he was comatose . I laid him in the bosses car and took him to hospital where the X-rays showed his spinal column had been banged up into his skull .doc told us that he was millimetres from death and why had the school not sent for an ambulance . Never even got a proper apology , but the climbing bars were removed post haste .In retrospect we should have sued the arse off them if only to give to charity .