Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

grumpy old man:

Buzzer:
Another do you remember series, often used to get the fire to draw, Buzzer

There was always a real risk of a chimney fire (I know our house fell victim on more than a few occasions) Mother would be ‘drawing’ the fire, paper would catch light, she’d let go of the paper and up the chimney it went.
“The fire brigade is at Mrs Howram’s again, she will have been drawing the fire” :smiley:

GOM talk of chimney fires reminded me of me mother when that occasion arose and straight into the pantry to fetch the salt to dampen the fire below, our salt arrived in a block from a provisions merchant and bakers and was sort of calved on the table to loosen it and stored in an earthenware jar to stop it going damp, not so many open fires nowadays though, Buzzer.

vwvanman0:

Saw this fine old motor today, 1994 vintage, very clean and tidy.

Steve.

Any thing to do with you Steve?..VWM so near to your “handle”!

David

Buzzer:
Another do you remember series, often used to get the fire to draw, Buzzer

Or waiting in the garden to see the chimney sweep’s brush appear.
The later enclosed Parkray was a lot easier just leave the door closed and remove the lower ash tray panel.The grate was a lot higher in those so it could take in loads of air from underneath it.
I really miss a good coal fire and would go back to it if this house had a chimney.
Although some say that coal fired back boilers are no longer allowed. :confused:

grumpy old man:

Buzzer:
Any one remember these columb change gear shifters , I do as took me test in me old mans Morris Cowley 1/2 ton van which had that set up and later had a Ford Zepher 6 which IIRC had the same setup, Cheers Buzzer

1965 SAAB 95 Estate car, best 4 speed column change ever made…even Mrs GOM liked it.
I ran SAABs for many years (95/99/900/9000) ■■■■ good cars…until General Motors got their hands on the company

I can remember many of the cars that my Dad was involved with during the 1960’s were column shifters especially the 6 cylinder memorables from BMC, Ford and Vauxhall.It seemed to me to take a bit more skill handling them than the floor shifters and it was impressive to me at the time watching him flicking through the gears combined with the soundtrack of all those types.
But realised why ‘four on the floor’ was better than ‘3 on the tree’ in later years. :wink:

I remember the good old days when the column linkage used to jam up. In a ford you usually it jammed between first and second. Easily fixed with a couple of new bushes.

Any thing to do with you Steve?..VWM so near to your “handle”!

No David, unfortunately not, its a local truck to me but i haven’t seen it for years, the vwm is “Varey? Woodworking machines”

Chose the name on here as i own a 72 vw pickup (someone has to!)

Steve

peterm:
I remember the good old days when the column linkage used to jam up. In a ford you usually it jammed between first and second. Easily fixed with a couple of new bushes.

Or, on the rare occasions the linkage jammed up on my Thames 400E, I would slide underneath and give the linkage a quick whack to free it up!

This is an advert for Guide Dogs but whats the car ? Buzzer

131982574_23846279247100268_8232245310710275394_n.jpg

Buzzer:
This is an advert for Guide Dogs but whats the car ? Buzzer

My guess Buzzer would be a 1930s something Singer.
Oily

30 June 1985
Berry Hill Ind Est
Droitwich Spa
Worcs. Eng

Normal control Scania 4x2 recovery truck
alongside a Ford D type. CHP 499T.
Parked outside Roger Dyson Recovery Systems.

coomsey:
NMP off FB

Bedford used to make those odd half cab’s for steel transport. Heres a couple that sold in France in 1967.

bedford half cab 67 poily.PNG

Three more Volvo’s today, Buzzer

137387505_2055541001253486_7288876977095696699_n.png

With chimney fires I was told that pouring water slowly onto the fire, would send steam up the chimney, so starving the burning tar deposits of air, and extinguish the fire.
Never needed to try it so don’t know how well it would work.

DEANB:

coomsey:
NMP off FB

Bedford used to make those odd half cab’s for steel transport. Heres a couple that sold in France in 1967.

Ay up Dean! N here I was thinking they were rare. I drove one for a few miles n wasn’t fussed God only knows what an half cab would’ve been like

coomsey:
Ay up Dean! N here I was thinking they were rare. I drove one for a few miles n wasn’t fussed God only knows what an half cab would’ve been like

Not fussed Coomsey? In their day they were the bee’s knees. First one I saw was in 1960 with a visiting driver, I thought it was a sleeper cab. :laughing:

But later I drove one for a while and it was warm, comfy, and quiet. What’s not to like? :smiley: And, if you were small and skinny enough, you could sleep on that parcel shelf at a pinch. :laughing:

Dipster:

peterm:

Or, on the rare occasions the linkage jammed up on my Thames 400E, I would slide underneath and give the linkage a quick whack to free it up!

In the early eighties I had a 1973 Chevy with a 3-speed column change (and high mileage) that would stick between first and second if I wasn’t careful. Up with the bonnet, upward tug on the linkage and all would be well until next time. New bushes were the obvious fix, and I discovered that the top-hat sealing bushes for Leyland Atlantean radiator tubes were perfect for the job. Ah, the advantages of being a bus company storeman!

Spardo:

coomsey:

Not fussed Coomsey? In their day they were the bee’s knees. First one I saw was in 1960 with a visiting driver, I thought it was a sleeper cab. :laughing:

But later I drove one for a while and it was warm, comfy, and quiet. What’s not to like? :smiley: And, if you were small and skinny enough, you could sleep on that parcel shelf at a pinch. :laughing:

I was given one new and found it to gutless(330cc) with 5 cars on the trailer, moved a bit when loading(transmission handbrake) on the plus side a decent heater, decent all round vision and good brakes. I was glad when an older hand who was a rag in pocket polish wipe type fancied the new motor shine and said “do you want a swop” done no hesitation, he was a steady old chap(ex BRS general) me I was back on a well used Comet both happy :laughing:
Oily

Thanks to pyewacket947v, DEANB, Buzzer and fodenway for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The Oakbank Scania has a load of bones etc from the local abattoir on its way to the rendering plant.
Oily

Tyn

e Grain Ltd,South Shields.