Passport check

After working for them for 7 years they now need to see my passport to see if I’m entitled to work in this country,the one I was born in 40 yrs ago
And then we’ve got some idiots wondering why we moan about the JOB, and the idiots who run it :unamused: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

That’s quite strange indeed, passport checks at the start of employment are the norm but never heard of it 7 years into employment :open_mouth:

I once had an agency reject me because my passport was six months out of date. Even though I had a photo driving license with me and they agreed yes that was me in both the pictures, they would only register me if I provided them with an up to date passport. Needless to say I didn’t waste my time trying to prove I was English and entitled to work here. Makes you wonder what this country has come to sometimes eh?

Its not just businesses, when I was serving in Cyprus and tried to register my newborn son who was born in a British military hospital I was told I had to provide further evidence that he was entitled to a British passport as I wasn’t British enough? This was despite being British born, a British passport holder and only in Cyprus because I was a British serviceman sent by the British government, all of which fell on deaf ears and I then had to get copies of my parents and in-laws birth certificates to prove they were also British. My son was two years old before we received his passport, the mind boggles!

They need to see your passport now as the law has changed in the last 7 years, every employee must show he has the right to work in the UK, even UK citizens and born Brits. In the case of a UK passport it is allowed to be expired. If an employee has “limit rights” instead of ongoing rights then the right to work must at least be valid for 12 months and needs to be rechecked every 12 months.

LIBERTY_GUY:
Needless to say I didn’t waste my time trying to prove I was English and entitled to work here.

You have to, they won’t take your word for it.

so even though all my family are all British, right back through the generations. I’m now going to be ripped of £80 quid for a passport to prove I can work in this country. what a joke.

m_attt:
so even though all my family are all British, right back through the generations.

Irrelevant.

m_attt:
I’m now going to be ripped of £80 quid for a passport to prove I can work in this country. what a joke.

Correct. No passport/residency card, no job.

If your employer after May 2014 does not check your passport he is liable for a minimum £5,000.00 going up to £20,000.00 fine per employee if they turn out not to have the right to work, if they can also prove that the employer did it deliberately, they face 2 years in prison.

gov.uk/check-job-applicant-right-to-work
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … orking.pdf
gov.uk/penalties-for-employ … al-workers

Then everyone should walk out of the gate, first of all no one has the right to ask for someones passport except Immigration, office bods are not, next is asking to prove who you are and that you are British/English ( should have brought in that I.D. card, but anyway we have driving licences, bank cards and other forms of ID, a passport does not prove your nationality, it may say on the back page that you are, but you would have had to show other documents as well to prove who you are ( there are some good forgeries out there ) Foreign police forces often used to ask for a passport, which is against our rules and advice from the passport office, and i would only show it where necessary. What is this country coming to where its own citizens have to prove who they are, tell them to FRO.

truckyboy:
Then everyone should walk out of the gate.

Don’t let the gate hit you in the arse on the way out. The law is simple, if you can’t or won’t show your passport to your employer, he can’t and won’t employ you.

Sorry for being ignorant, but when did it become law to have to show a passport to keep your job, today is the first time i`ve heard about it. I can understand if your on International work, but run of the mill uk work is bang out of order.

truckyboy:
Sorry for being ignorant, but when did it become law to have to show a passport to keep your job, today is the first time i`ve heard about it. I can understand if your on International work, but run of the mill uk work is bang out of order.

Came into effect May this year. The employer has to keep copies of your documents for 2 years after you stop working for them.

Well I think it’s a good idea.

Bout time they tightened up on the small print, you’s would be the first to moan of an illegal was taking your work.

Silver_Surfer:

Bout time they tightened up on the small print, you’s would be the first to moan of an illegal was taking your work.

The principle is a good idea. The method is typical UK government. Which is: make it very awkward for the law abiding citizen, while the ‘crooks’ carry on as normal.

It will just cause a huge amount of hassle and achieve (in real terms) very little.

Thanks wheelnutt.
So if some Asian looking guy wants to work for a fertilizer company, and his mate with the fuzzy beard wants to work delivering Peroxide, so long as they show a passport that they live in Britain, thats ok.
Just who thinks up these great ideas…Teresa May to show what shes doing to aid the safety of the country.

Silver_Surfer:

It has always been in the original asylum and immigration act 1996, they just made it a serious fine as lots of employers were not deterred from employing illegal immigrants. They did change the way that immigrants with less than 12 months remaining are employed, and they will need permission from the home office in each and every case now.

They also changed how new employees are registered with the HMRC so that you will have to have a passport or immigration documents to be added to the payroll.

UKBA clearly states that all current employees need checks too for their eligibility to be employed in the UK, that is why employers will now ask for passports even though you may have been working there for donkeys years.

then why has the passport got to be so expensive. as for most people it will now be £80 to show to an employer once just to get a job.

It’s all very well checking the right to work here, but, given the almighty foul up at the Passport Office, what happens to your job while waiting for them to issue your new passport.
Incidentally, Spike Milligan was refused a British passport even though his dad was in the British army in India & he served in the second world war.

Fat Controller:
It’s all very well checking the right to work here, but, given the almighty foul up at the Passport Office, what happens to your job while waiting for them to issue your new passport.
Incidentally, Spike Milligan was refused a British passport even though his dad was in the British army in India & he served in the second world war.

A UK passport may be expired, no need to have a valid one, so any delay at the Passport Office will not prevent you from starting a job in the UK.

If on the other hand you never had a passport, you are right, you can’t start a new job until you get one issued.

m_attt:
so even though all my family are all British, right back through the generations. I’m now going to be ripped of £80 quid for a passport to prove I can work in this country. what a joke.

you can use your birth certificate and national insurance number instead of a passport for right to work id