Part time driving position

Hi everyone,
Just joined the website so hi to everyone.
Just wondered what everyones opinion would be on how to approach how i want to drive commercially & if its possible. I’m a class 2 driver (no experience commercially) as I currently work in emergency services but are looking to work in the commercial sector 2 days a week and full weeks as and when I can.
my questions are:
Q1: Does anyone know any companies that I can look at in west Yorkshire area & which agencies are best to contact. spoke with poundworld and just waiting a reply)
Q2: would i be better trying to go direct or go through an agency? (i know agency drivers can get a bad rep) - dad use to be a artic driver and would always complain about agencies.

Just got to get my head around drivers hours and digital tachographs now. :slight_smile:

thanks everyone.

How many days a week do you work in your current job ?

I work 2 days and 2 nights then 4 off but i’m exempt from driving hours. but to keep within my organisations other work policy i can only work on day off 2 and 3. if that makes sense. :smiley:

Agency be your best bet. Not many companies have part time jobs (they use agencies for that).

thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Try reed boardall in Boroughbridge matt, you can do 1 or 6 days a week as a casual driver,tramp,days or nights on fridges.good luck.

The problem you’re going to have is that you’re unlikely to be able to work 2 days a week as you’re hoping to, in weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations any work done in your usual job in the same week will count as other work, even though the driving is exempt from EU regulations it and any other work you do will count as other work.

Without knowing exactly when your 4 days rest starts on ends it’s difficult to be precise, but the regulations stipulate that in any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you must have a weekly rest period, but from what you’ve said it seems very unlikely that you will be able to drive commercially on days 2 and 3 of your rest period and still get in a weekly rest period of 45 consecutive hours every week.

It looks like you would be able to legally drive 2 days of one 4 day rest period then 1 day the next and alternate like that.

As said your best bet would be agencies, it seems unlikely that you would be able to work direct for a company with the shift pattern we’re talking about, perhaps not impossible but unlikely :wink:

Rules on Drivers’ Hours and Tachographs (Goods vehicles in GB and Europe)

Thanks for your replys guys. As I said I’m new to it all especially drivers hours. Really appreciate the feedback.

The regulations can take a bit to get your head round them when you’re not used to them, but there’s always people here who will answer any questions so feel free to ask about anything you’re not sure about :wink:

As others have said agency would be the best bet, I work driving LGVs round other work/commitments which tend to be seasonal but I reckon if you can predict your availability then I don’t think you’d have a problem getting work especially at the moment. Just have to find a decent agency in your area which is where the folks on here really come into their own.

Go with the agency. A guy who works for the agency I work for is a fireman and always gets plenty of work for his days off.

I nearly for got, I’ve no idea if you’ve got one or not but you’ll need a current Driver Qualification Card (DQC) to drive commercially.

thanks again guys, just emailed vosa to see what i’m allowed to do & keep myself covered.

I’m currently going through my 35hrs cpc which has been eye opening & rather amusing really but hey ho got to learn somewhere.

By the sound of things i believe the agency route will be my best bet so will keep you updated. thanks again guys.

conor do you know if he does driving work (using tacho) or does he just work in other positions.

thanks

mattwhit:
thanks again guys, just emailed vosa to see what i’m allowed to do & keep myself covered.

I’m currently going through my 35hrs cpc which has been eye opening & rather amusing really but hey ho got to learn somewhere.

VOSA now DVSA are likely just to give you a link to the drivers hours PDF

Getting a good 7 hour dcpc tacho and regs course is likely to be more helpful

You might like to show what days/dates you will be working in your normal job so that others can figure out what driving shifts you would legally be available for :bulb:

If you drive for the fire service and passed with them on a LGV C auto and only have C auto showing on your licence then send it to DVLA for the free upgrade to C manual

When is your next D4 medical due?

If the OP goes down the agency route, hes best to dig his heels in and insist that they put him on PAYE, & IF the agency try to put him on the umbrella payroll route Id advise him to walk away, the will be other agencies who will pay him via PAYE. If the OP includes his location in his “user control panel” more accurate replies as to which agencies to phone may be posted.

iirc Milestone handle some, if not all of the DHL contract out of Whitwood & AFAIK they will take drivers via PAYE

Hi Matt, I’ve just taken LOA, after 14 yrs in, to concentrate on driving, and I don’t think I’ll be going back. With all the ■■■■ going on just now for firefighters, this is actually a much less stressful career. However, to answer your original question, every hour spent at work with your FRS will count towards your tacho hours, regardless of what you actually do, therefore it can be awkward maintaining the 48hr average, you also have to be careful to make sure you do whatever driving you do to enable the 45hr rest period between any period of work.

It can be done, however after your night shift finish, let’s say Saturday 8 am you’ll have your 2 days/45 hour off…you can then start Monday morning 6-8 am work Tuesday.
You’ll be back on your 4 day shift I presume Wednesday lets say 8. You’ll do 2 days and 2 nights finishing again Sunday at 8 am. Then you’ll start again your 45 hour weekly rest, which is after 6 24hr consecutive days after your previous weekly rest.
The problem with working your middle two days are your not having 45 hr consecutive break, but two reduced weekly breaks which I think becomes confusing somewhat further down the 4 week period.
I reserve the right to be talking absolute crap though… :unamused:

Ps, you can also look into opting out of the working time directive.

Thanks for all these. Looking into what I can actually do now but fingers crossed I’ll be on the commercial road soon. Thanks all again .

cracker-bar:
Hi Matt, I’ve just taken LOA, after 14 yrs in, to concentrate on driving, and I don’t think I’ll be going back. With all the [zb] going on just now for firefighters, this is actually a much less stressful career.

I am curious to know how driving a truck is less stressful than working as a firefighter. The hours are longer and the hourly rate less. I imagine that a firefighter has to deal with a load of admin crap - many truck drivers do too. Firefighters have a great pension scheme - most truck drivers will be living on benefits when they retire. In 2011 two firefighters died and 74 were seriously injured. cite. In the same period 114 people died in trucks and busses. cite