Part time driving position

Santa:

cracker-bar:
Hi Matt, I’ve just taken LOA, after 14 yrs in, to concentrate on driving, and I don’t think I’ll be going back. With all the [zb] going on just now for firefighters, this is actually a much less stressful career.

I am curious to know how driving a truck is less stressful than working as a firefighter. The hours are longer and the hourly rate less. I imagine that a firefighter has to deal with a load of admin crap - many truck drivers do too. Firefighters have a great pension scheme - most truck drivers will be living on benefits when they retire. In 2011 two firefighters died and 74 were seriously injured. cite. In the same period 114 people died in trucks and busses. cite

I agree with you, driving a truck is far more dangerous. Running into a burning building and putting your own life at risk trying to save another isn’t dangerous at all.

OK to cite figures but lets get them into context

What percentage of each group would give a better comparison

smokinbarrels:

Santa:

cracker-bar:
Hi Matt, I’ve just taken LOA, after 14 yrs in, to concentrate on driving, and I don’t think I’ll be going back. With all the [zb] going on just now for firefighters, this is actually a much less stressful career.

I am curious to know how driving a truck is less stressful than working as a firefighter. The hours are longer and the hourly rate less. I imagine that a firefighter has to deal with a load of admin crap - many truck drivers do too. Firefighters have a great pension scheme - most truck drivers will be living on benefits when they retire. In 2011 two firefighters died and 74 were seriously injured. cite. In the same period 114 people died in trucks and busses. cite

I agree with you, driving a truck is far more dangerous. Running into a burning building and putting your own life at risk trying to save another isn’t dangerous at all.

I have not been required to run into a burning building for several years now, mostly thanks to the amount of smoke alarm fitting we now do, although the administrative crap, and management ■■■■■■■■, I have to put up with, has increased. I did not take up the job of firefighter to be a smoke alarm technician, with too much admin. Driving is definitely less stressful, especially as I now primarily do Europe!

To be honest I don’t really want to get into the firefighter side of thing in this post. My reason for doing driving is the need to find another £150 a month to pay for my pension (bring the total to £350 a month) if your interested. For me as most will admit firefighting is brilliant however there is a darker side to it with putting up with military style lifestyle of managers and want to be managers. I would much rather prefer when I get older to be sat behind a wheel enjoying life than been driven mental in frs. For those that have passed advice in my quest for commercial driving once again thank you!!!