Parliament to Discuss HGV Driver Shortage - bollocks

They are still on this old tape, and just keep saying the magic words: ‘Driver Shortage’ - what a complete ■■■■■■■■!
For the same money as it was 15 years ago no wonder not so many people want to do this job.
See article:

Easy As HGV at Parliament to Discuss HGV Driver Shortage

Easy As HGV have added to the national debate regarding the ongoing HGV driver shortage issue in the logistics industry this week with Operations Director Kat Springle providing evidence to Transcom, the House of Commons Select Committee charged with investigating the problem.

The hearing followed on from a sitting on 18th January where Mr David Wells, Chief Executive of the Freight Transport Association (FTA) made the case for Government approval to include driving in the ‘Trailblazer’ apprenticeship scheme and to help remove perceived barriers that can hinder the recruitment of new drivers into the industry.
Misconceptions On Cost Contributes to HGV Driver Shortage

One of the major barriers for entry into a career as an HGV driver has been the idea that the start-up and training costs are prohibitively high. However, as Springle argued during the hearing, this is a perception from those outside of the industry, based upon a degree of misinformation; with actual costs much less than the generally reported figures.

There is a general idea that the costs associated with acquiring an HGV licence, be that Cat C or higher, range somewhere from £3,000 to £5,000. In fact, the reality is that the costs are often considerably lower.

During the House of Commons session, Springle made clear that a new candidate could in fact qualify as a professional Class 2 Heavy goods driver for less than £2,000.
Bridging the Gap Between Training and Employment

As regularly mentioned on these pages, the HGV driver shortage in the industry is into the tens of thousands, with figures anywhere between 40,0000 and 60,000 quoted. Springle noted in her evidence that there were opportunities for this to be eased through the untapped resource of newly qualified drivers who are unable to work because they lack the vocational experience within the profession.

She pointed out that one of the biggest obstacles faced by new drivers is the need to gain 2 years’ driving experience. It’s the classic chicken and egg situation of needing a job to gain experience but not able to get one because of the experience they lack. Springle made the case that the HGV driver shortage could be at least partially improved if these drivers were able to go into the work immediately.

Through the comprehensive and rigorous nature of the training and examination process, she added that these new but vocationally inexperienced drivers were well equipped and skilled enough to take the work on.

Of the average HGV trainee, typically 25-40 year old males from low paid or under-employed backgrounds (although by no means exclusively so) the abundance of work and the prospect of career stability and progression into other areas of logistics which exists as a pathway from HGV training is a message that seems to be attractive enough to encourage them in, in improving numbers. Indeed, as Springle pointed out to the committee, around 300 newly qualified drivers are graduating from Easy As HGV alone, each month.

If the bridge between qualification and full-time employment could be made, then the shortfall may well be appreciably eased.
A Joined Up Approach

In line with the message across the industry, from the FTA, training organisations and employers alike, Easy As HGV continue to offer assistance and support to the Government in overcoming the misunderstanding around the cost of HGV training, welcoming a more joined up approach between the HGV training industry and the Government. An approach aimed at getting the message out there that a career as an HGV driver is accessible, realistic and ultimately rewarding to the individual and the nation as a whole.

You can watch the Select Committee hearing with Easy As HGV’s Operations Director Kat Springle, here: parliament.uk/business/commi … ev2-15-16/

Source: easyashgv.co.uk/easy-as-hgv- … -shortage/

easyHGV.PNG

East as HGV are brokers not trainers as far as I am aware …

Probably no room for a different view.IE what do they expect given a transport policy,which is all about removing freight from road to rail and which imposes massive prohibitive taxation on road transport as part of that.All of which impacts driver wage potential and quality of job opportunities.On that note they seem to be running into the problem that even cheap immigrant East Euro labour pool isn’t interested in the dross that forms too much of the UK road transport industry in the form of the local building sector deliveries and/or distribution sector.As for the experience issue that’s always been a problem.But trying to fix that without fixing the issue of increasing decent job opportunities first,by reducing/removing the road fuel taxation burden on and political bias against the industry,is just putting the cart before the horse.

There is no shortage,look at any job site it’s not full of job ads from employers it full of job ads for agency trying to fill their books.
I really don’t see why they are claiming there is a shortage of HGV drivers.

xichrisxi:
There is no shortage,look at any job site it’s not full of job ads from employers it full of job ads for agency trying to fill their books.

Maybe the agency sector is mainly focused on those dross sectors of the industry so knows no different and doesn’t even realise there is a wider picture.In which case that would account for a totally distorted idea and view of the driver labour market situation.IE the reality is no shortage of drivers.There’s just a shortage of decent work that they are looking for. :bulb:

I don’t think she’s correct on a single thing if that’s what was in her submission. COMPLETE AND UTTER RUBBISH :imp:

Carryfast:

xichrisxi:

Maybe the agency sector is mainly focused on those dross sectors of the industry so knows no different and doesn’t even realise there is a wider picture.In which case that would account for a totally distorted idea and view of the driver labour market situation.IE the reality is no shortage of drivers.There’s just a shortage of decent work that they are looking for. :bulb:

Exactly,there’s a shortage of drivers willing to work for £8 a hour is what they mean.

These politicians really are crack smoking delusional’…

Yesterday they announce driverless trucks, today the shortage?

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, what a bunch of ■■■■■■

xichrisxi:
Exactly,there’s a shortage of drivers willing to work for £8 a hour is what they mean.

Or drivers looking for local multi drop or local building deliveries at £9 per hour v distance bulk deliveries for £8 per hour. :bulb: :wink:

Has that ‘‘Operations Director’’ Kat Springle left school yet.

Yes a shortage of decent paying jobs out there, this coupled with the extra taxes on those jobs (Driver CPC and medicals) Even if they removed fuel duty for haulage companies that alone wouldn’t be a magic bullet , New inexperienced drivers would still not get jobs from many employer, due to their insurance companies , then there is all the mistakes they are likely to make some will be costly to the company in general a lot of companies just cannot afford to loose customers , have vehicles off the road for accident repairs

Agencies are the best chance for new recruits to gain some experience , and make and learn from their mistakes whilst being with said agency, some may even be offered a full time job by the client, it may be trolley dolly work in most cases but it’s a starting place

tommy t:
Yes a shortage of decent paying jobs out there, this coupled with the extra taxes on those jobs (Driver CPC and medicals) Even if they removed fuel duty for haulage companies that alone wouldn’t be a magic bullet , New inexperienced drivers would still not get jobs from many employer, due to their insurance companies , then there is all the mistakes they are likely to make some will be costly to the company in general a lot of companies just cannot afford to loose customers , have vehicles off the road for accident repairs

Agencies are the best chance for new recruits to gain some experience , and make and learn from their mistakes whilst being with said agency, some may even be offered a full time job by the client, it may be trolley dolly work in most cases but it’s a starting place

A more road transport friendly trading environment would increase the demand for UK based road transport.The ability to use red diesel would obviously fit that definition.As would probably allowing LHV’s. :bulb:

While it’s no good calling for new drivers to be given more and better opportunities of a start if you’re then going to apply the same old pecking order bs on them.Of the best job opportunities being reserved and allocated on a bs experience and/or face fits and/or who you know basis.On that note no one is going to learn by their mistakes on international demount drawbar trunking work for example by being stuck on zb class C local multi drop/building deliveries etc etc. :bulb: :unamused:

xichrisxi:

Carryfast:

xichrisxi:

+1

IF there is a driver shortage, there are 2 of many good reasons that I know for it.

The dcpc got rid of a lot of experienced drivers who decided not to bother as they only had so many years left to work and/or did not want the expense of 'learning! the theory a job that they had done for years.

Not many young lads are coming into it as there used to be, simply because it aint an attractive proposition any more :bulb: with restrictions, crap pay and all the general bull ■■■■ to contend with.

I was as keen as hell to start when I did. If I was in the same situation looking at the job today, I would not bother my arse.
Maybe the Government should look at the reasons rather than the cure for the effects of their actions.

robroy:
IF there is a driver shortage, there are 2 of many good reasons that I know for it.

The dcpc got rid of a lot of experienced drivers who decided not to bother as they only had so many years left to work and/or did not want the expense of 'learning! the theory a job that they had done for years.

Not many young lads are coming into it as there used to be, simply because it aint an attractive proposition any more :bulb: with restrictions, crap pay and all the general bull [zb] to contend with.

I was as keen as hell to start when I did. If I was in the same situation looking at the job today, I would not bother my arse.
Maybe the Government should look at the reasons rather than the cure for the effects of their actions.

Spot on there rob thats the truth about todays world.

Juddian:

:smiley: I thought it was Debbie Dingle at first.

Carl Usher:

Juddian:

:smiley: I thought it was Debbie Dingle at first.

Debbie dingle does emerdale ? not seen that one

Didn’t Easy as HGV get some serious criticism on here a few years back?
Also aren’t they the ones who spam the Jobcentre website and local newspapers jobs sections?

accessible,realistic and ultimately rewarding for the individual and the nation as a whole she says,how is it rewarding,certainly not wages wise as regards the nation as a whole they still treat hgv drivers like 2nd class citizens,or have I read it wrong,she also says new passes have the skill to do the job,after one/two weeks intensive training,i don’t think so,if I owned a company I would not send a new pass out in a vehicle that could be worth thousands [inc load]he/she would start on the vans and see how they go,[accident wise]its learning to trust and I am sure that’s how a lot of drivers started out driving vans and working up to hgvs,i did

truckman020:
accessible,realistic and ultimately rewarding for the individual and the nation as a whole she says,how is it rewarding,certainly not wages wise as regards the nation as a whole they still treat hgv drivers like 2nd class citizens,or have I read it wrong,she also says new passes have the skill to do the job,after one/two weeks intensive training,i don’t think so,if I owned a company I would not send a new pass out in a vehicle that could be worth thousands [inc load]he/she would start on the vans and see how they go,[accident wise]its learning to trust and I am sure that’s how a lot of drivers started out driving vans and working up to hgvs,i did

Generally the bs pecking order issue applies regardless of even whether anyone already has their van and 7.5 tonner experience regardless.The truth is the industry has historically applied a pecking order in which ‘experienced’ drivers expect all the best work and want it reserved for them at the expense of new drivers.In addition to the equally unfair situation in which a new driver has gone through all the van and 7.5 tonner progression you’ve referred to but still gets lumbered with all the zb work.In an industry in which historically career progression and who gets to do what is just a lottery.

As for rewarding for its workers and the nation yeah right that’s why the government is doing everything possible to shift as much freight as possible from road to rail.In this case using road fuel taxation etc to do it with every pound lost in tax meaning less money available for driver wages and loss of customer demand meaning less job opportunities for new drivers.