Parking Tickets

I was recently parked in Carlisle and recieved a parking ticket for not having lights on.
I was in a 7.5t vehicle in a well lit street not close to a junction.
Can anybody tell me what the law is regarding this.

223: All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph.
Law RVLR reg 24

224: Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525kg unladen, invalid carriages and motorcycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph or less if they are

at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
in a recognised parking place or lay-by. Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.
Law RVLR reg 24

so in other words if you were in a car you would have been ok, but a 7.5 you’re not

Melchett:
223: All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph.
Law RVLR reg 24

So if im parked up for the night in a lay-by, i gotta leave me lights on■■? :unamused: :unamused:

Technically yes.

Technically i’m not sure you can actually overnight in a layby, legally either though.

Got done £30 for parking on layby on A38 north of Derby when I run out of hours without lights. Woke up next morning to find ticket attached to windscreen wiper, time of 00.05 :unamused: . After setting off I saw about 15 other hgv’s with the same type of ticket on their windscreens. That copper certainly earned some brownie points that night for the revenue he generated :imp:

Worst are the laybys on the A20 between Folkestone and Dover, they get filled up at night, no one with lights on.
Trouble is when the layby fills up they park with the arse end of the trailer in lane 1.
Then you get them parked half on the verge and half in the lane.

penfold:
Got done £30 for parking on layby on A38 north of Derby when I run out of hours without lights. Woke up next morning to find ticket attached to windscreen wiper, time of 00.05 :unamused: . After setting off I saw about 15 other hgv’s with the same type of ticket on their windscreens. That copper certainly earned some brownie points that night for the revenue he generated :imp:

I thought it was well know that Derby plod were targeting trucks in layby’s without lights, they have been for some time, I’m sure it was discussed on here a while back.

and around Bedworth town
not sure if Bayton Road is still private

The lay-by’s just off M1 J30 are another plod hot spot. :bulb: