Parking on the kerb

Could anyone tell me if you get points for parking with your wheels on the kerb or is it just a fine?

I’m not sure if its either. I parked up on the kerb a couple off years back whilst I was waiting for some cars to be moved. A copper drove past and came back. All he said to me was he’d rather me have the lorry on the road, when your on the kerb traffic coming from both directions will try and squeeze past you at the sane time which is when an accident will happen. If your fully on the road they’ll have to stop and go around you which would be safer. So I did he was happy said thanks and off he went there was no mention off a fine or anything.

It depends on if your considered to be any form of Danger to padestrians or road users. If you are they can give a MS10 I believe with 3 points:

gov.uk/penalty-points-endor … lty-points

More likely you’d be told to move on though.

No points as far as i know, in some areas notably London boroughs and other parasites even an inch of tread on the kerb will see you ticketted.

If obstruction is caused then you can be prosecuted by plod

If damage is cause you can be prosecuted by council

If seen driving onto the pavement then you can be prosecuted by plod and that is the worse one of the lot

I asked a few about this and it seems that if no damage is caused and no obstruction then its the act of actually driving on the pavement to get into or off of that position which is prosecutable but you must be seen doing that

That’s how this was explained to me by those that should know the law

Seems I may have encounted a nice copper then and was lucky :slight_smile:.

Thanks for that guys. The reason I ask is that a shop we deliver too if you are late getting there you can’t get into the yard because of parked cars and have to tip on the street, half on the kerb

I’ve parked on the kerb loads of times. Will have to bear the above in mind.

Stay on the road, pavements are for people roads are for vehicles. If you block the road- so be it.
One big Bug Bear I see, is when people park on the pavement & wheelchairs & people with pushchairs have to circumnavigate onto the road to get round the inconsiderate Numpty.
& grass verges turn into swamps after knob’ends park on them !

Parking a lorry on the kerb causes them to sink,and become dangerous to pedestrians.

Dave the Renegade:
Parking a lorry on the kerb causes them to sink,and become dangerous to pedestrians.

and it’s bad for tyres aswell

Big Roy:
Thanks for that guys. The reason I ask is that a shop we deliver too if you are late getting there you can’t get into the yard because of parked cars and have to tip on the street, half on the kerb

That’s the point - you do not have to do that because you would be legal to tip whilst blocking the road or saying to the customer that you require them to make delivery access available that does not inconvenience anyone else

I had this issue loads of times and if the customer was not forthcoming then I would call boss and let them sort it out which usually ended up with boss telling me to return the load until customer had it sorted

Big Roy:
Could anyone tell me if you get points for parking with your wheels on the kerb or is it just a fine?

It is an offence to park a HGV on the path or verge except in certain circumstances. This document outlines it nicely,

parliament.uk/Templates/Brie … id=SN02249

I believe it is now a £50 fine, no points unless it is considered to be in a dangerous position.

scotstrucker:

Dave the Renegade:

+1

scotstrucker:

Dave the Renegade:

MMTM ( :unamused: ) that you should be very careful, if you do put wheels on the kerb - say to level the bed off the road camber whilst tipping outside town centre stores, that you don’t drive over metal access panels (manholes) as they often will not take the weight.

ROG:

Big Roy:

That’s the point - you do not have to do that because you would be legal to tip whilst blocking the road or saying to the customer that you require them to make delivery access available that does not inconvenience anyone else

I had this issue loads of times and if the customer was not forthcoming then I would call boss and let them sort it out which usually ended up with boss telling me to return the load until customer had it sorted

I hear what you are saying Rog but this is a daily drop and this is the instruction from the transport office, which I will now be questioning next week

If TO is instructing you then get it in writing as well as a statement saying that they will pay for any fines - on company headed paper

Inform them of the law first

Juddian:
No points as far as i know, in some areas notably London boroughs and other parasites even an inch of tread on the kerb will see you ticketted.

This is correct parking on the kerb is a ticket, in London just don’t do it because it can’t be contested.

Left the back wheel of the truck (unit only) on a kerb in tilbury and got a 30 quid fine. No points. Whether in the car or truck I avoid going on kerbs at all costs it recks the pavement and it’s easy to miss drain covers which are easily broken. I was also told when doing my hiab ticket that if you cause a pedestrian to walk on the road because the truck is blocking the pavements and they get run over your in the ■■■■.

If I’m a pedestrian and someone’s parked on the kerb I never make too much effort to avoid walking into their wingmirrors.