Parking brake and the Brake lights

Hi quick question, (settle a dispute actually)

Is there any make/model of LGV out there that will show the Brake lights when the Parking brake is applied (I’m assuming engine/ignition on only because it’d be daft with keys out) I know of all the LGV’s that I drove up until 5 and a 1/2 yrs ago didn’t but was curious whether this was a “thing” now with the more modern trucks.

Reef:
Hi quick question, (settle a dispute actually)

Is there any make/model of LGV out there that will show the Brake lights when the Parking brake is applied (I’m assuming engine/ignition on only because it’d be daft with keys out) I know of all the LGV’s that I drove up until 5 and a 1/2 yrs ago didn’t but was curious whether this was a “thing” now with the more modern trucks.

I really hope not - can you image having high density lights in your face constantly when in a queue!

there are enough inconsiderate/lazy drivers doing that already

None that I’ve ever used.

Always had to ‘stick’ the brake pedal to check the lights or use the light check on certain trucks.

Not driven one for nearly a year now but the new Volvo has a trailer brake stalk enabling you to apply the trailer brake and this if I remember correctly would turn the brake lights on. Not sure if that’s any help.

ROG:
really hope not - can you image having high density lights in your face constantly when in a queue!

there are enough inconsiderate/lazy drivers doing that already

I know right.

waynedl:
None that I’ve ever used.

Always had to ‘stick’ the brake pedal to check the lights or use the light check on certain trucks.

Don’t we all :smiley:

bald bloke:
Not driven one for nearly a year now but the new Volvo has a trailer brake stalk enabling you to apply the trailer brake and this if I remember correctly would turn the brake lights on. Not sure if that’s any help.

I think for the sake of argument that we are talking strictly about the main truck parking brake, but good to know non the less, thanks :slight_smile:

They’ve had a button to do that for years (also fitted to Renault Premiums), but no it doesn’t apply the lights, it’s for something like a ‘tug’ test, can only be used at virtually stand still as far as I know, but I’ve not tested it at speed…

In this image, it’s the 1st one to the left of the temperature dial.

waynedl:
They’ve had a button to do that for years (also fitted to Renault Premiums), but no it doesn’t apply the lights, it’s for something like a ‘tug’ test, can only be used at virtually stand still as far as I know, but I’ve not tested it at speed…

Doesn’t do it at speed, think it’s under 5mph, unrestricted independent trailer brakes have been off the options list for quite a few years now.
Renaults will put the brake lights on, on full exhaust brake, but only if the vehicle is slowing down.

weeto:

waynedl:

Doesn’t do it at speed, think it’s under 5mph, unrestricted independent trailer brakes have been off the options list for quite a few years now.
Renaults will put the brake lights on, on full exhaust brake, but only if the vehicle is slowing down.

Thought so, this is what I was told, never had any reason to test otherwise.

I do think you should be able to use the trailer brake on it’s own, but it’d get abused by idiots.

I remember quite a few years ago, about 2008, I was coming back from Kiddie Fire up in Bentham near Ingleton, and coming back, had to go the top way to avoid the low bridge, and it was icy / snowy, rental trailer and unit, and going down the hill I’d get about 1/2 second of braking then it’d start jack-knifing because the unit brakes were too powerful and the trailer brakes obviously set in the way they do so they last forever. Had to keep coming off and on the brakes and bottom of the hill had a left bend that I still hit around 25mph, made it round but I seriously thought I was going to be in the ditch / farmers wall.
If I’d had control of the trailer brakes alone, think I’d have been able to take lose more speed on the hill by slowing down from the back…

waynedl:

weeto:

waynedl:

I do think you should be able to use the trailer brake on it’s own, but it’d get abused by idiots.

I remember quite a few years ago, about 2008, I was coming back from Kiddie Fire up in Bentham near Ingleton, and coming back, had to go the top way to avoid the low bridge, and it was icy / snowy, rental trailer and unit, and going down the hill I’d get about 1/2 second of braking then it’d start jack-knifing because the unit brakes were too powerful and the trailer brakes obviously set in the way they do so they last forever. Had to keep coming off and on the brakes and bottom of the hill had a left bend that I still hit around 25mph, made it round but I seriously thought I was going to be in the ditch / farmers wall.
If I’d had control of the trailer brakes alone, think I’d have been able to take lose more speed on the hill by slowing down from the back…

Things have moved on a lot in the intervening 28 years with braking systems, however any mention of independent control of trailer brakes always reminds me of the tragic results for three primary schoolchildren when a 1626 Merc jacknifed almost outside their school, at about 3pm one afternoon. This vehicle applied the trailer brakes when the exhaust brake was operated. Empty flat trailer, bend in the road, IIRC it was damp too and there was nothing that could be done for the little girls, in spite of the accident happening outside a doctor’s surgery and his immediate attendance.

cav551:

waynedl:

weeto:

waynedl:

Things have moved on a lot in the intervening 28 years with braking systems, however any mention of independent control of trailer brakes always reminds me of the tragic results for three primary schoolchildren when a 1626 Merc jacknifed almost outside their school, at about 3pm one afternoon. This vehicle applied the trailer brakes when the exhaust brake was operated. Empty flat trailer, bend in the road, IIRC it was damp too and there was nothing that could be done for the little girls, in spite of the accident happening outside a doctor’s surgery and his immediate attendance.

Would be a risk, I agree. I’ve only ever been in that situation once, and I think think it would’ve helped that day, but as I said, it’d be open to abuse by idiots…

All the rigid six and eight wheeler Fodens and Sed Aks I drove had the brake lights working with the parking brake but I dont know if the tractor units and trailers did. Made it easy to see if you had a bulb blown. :wink:

Pete.

Sure that wasn’t just an earthing fault and they were on permanently Pete :laughing:

Reef:
Sure that wasn’t just an earthing fault and they were on permanently Pete :laughing:

Haha, no it was a standard feature and to be honest I hadn’t realised that ‘modern’ trucks no longer had that! Even some of the old trucks with pull on handbrakes had the brake lights working when you applied the brake but they went off when the brake was fully on. After all, it is a secondary braking system in the event of the primary system failing so you still needed to warn folk that you were slowing down. Suddenly I feel very old… :cry:

Pete.

windrush:

Reef:

Haha, no it was a standard feature and to be honest I hadn’t realised that ‘modern’ trucks no longer had that! Even some of the old trucks with pull on handbrakes had the brake lights working when you applied the brake but they went off when the brake was fully on. After all, it is a secondary braking system in the event of the primary system failing so you still needed to warn folk that you were slowing down. Suddenly I feel very old… :cry:

Pete.

But, even if the primary brake had failed, and you were using the handbrake to slow down, you could still use the footbrake to activate the lights - and, if I’m honest, I think my foot would still be wedged on the footbrake anyway in pure panic :slight_smile:

My 1982 ERF C series does; not sure if that’s by design or accident or if it’s an old regulation(!) Passes it’s MOT test like it though…

GCR2ERF:
My 1982 ERF C series does; not sure if that’s by design or accident or if it’s an old regulation(!) Passes it’s MOT test like it though…

By design, most trucks of that period were the same. Cannot see a problem with it myself though perhaps the lights were not as bright then as there was only one bulb used in each lamp, no other forum ‘oldies’ are coming on to back me up though! :unamused: My ‘avatar Foden’ was the same, as were the later ones up to 1996.

Pete.

weeto:

i’ve always wondered about that, is that one the 2nd stage or the 3rd when it kicks it down a few gears too? the 3rd is really effective!

windrush:

GCR2ERF:

By design, most trucks of that period were the same. Cannot see a problem with it myself though perhaps the lights were not as bright then as there was only one bulb used in each lamp, no other forum ‘oldies’ are coming on to back me up though! :unamused: My ‘avatar Foden’ was the same, as were the later ones up to 1996.

Pete.

My Dennis does it Pete when the handbrake lever is raised on secondary but not in park . ,I can’t recall Erfs doing it though .

Dan Punchard:
My Dennis does it Pete when the handbrake lever is raised on secondary but not in park . ,I can’t recall Erfs doing it though .

Might have been just Fodens that they operated with the park brake (spring brake) on then Dan? Some folk put larger bulbs in the stop lamp but then the lenses used to melt! At a rally recently a chap had a full set of those flip up rear lamps on his stall for a tenner each, not a bad price as they broke easily if paving machines caught them.

Pete.

I used to run a Foden 4275 rigid and it used to have brake lights on when you put the park brake on.
I was once pulled at Leyland M6/M65 by VOSA and the fella that was checking my lights was going to have a field day about it til the grease monkey that checked under the wagons told him that it was normal for Fodens and she always passed her test.