Parking brake and the Brake lights

Dan Punchard:

windrush:

GCR2ERF:
My 1982 ERF C series does; not sure if that’s by design or accident or if it’s an old regulation(!) Passes it’s MOT test like it though…

By design, most trucks of that period were the same. Cannot see a problem with it myself though perhaps the lights were not as bright then as there was only one bulb used in each lamp, no other forum ‘oldies’ are coming on to back me up though! :unamused: My ‘avatar Foden’ was the same, as were the later ones up to 1996.

Pete.

My Dennis does it Pete when the handbrake lever is raised on secondary but not in park . ,I can’t recall Erfs doing it though .

Given that the secondary/(first part throw of the parking brake before it clicks on) is supposed to be a viable emergency alternative in a foot brake failure it’s more surprising it’s not a requirement for it to light them and then go off when the park brake clicks on.

stevie dug:
I used to run a Foden 4275 rigid and it used to have brake lights on when you put the park brake on.
I was once pulled at Leyland M6/M65 by VOSA and the fella that was checking my lights was going to have a field day about it til the grease monkey that checked under the wagons told him that it was normal for Fodens and she always passed her test.

THANK YOU Stevie!! :wink: I know I am getting old but I haven’t gone completely gaga yet. Could have been just a ‘Foden thing’, I thought that my Sed Ak had it as well but probably wrong about that. I worked on and drove Fodens for 20+ years so darn well knew they had them! Never heard of anybody querying it before as I (wrongly) assumed that it was a normal thing.

Pete.

Bedford Tks used to have them with a ratchet handbrake.

daffyd:

weeto:
Renaults will put the brake lights on, on full exhaust brake, but only if the vehicle is slowing down.

i’ve always wondered about that, is that one the 2nd stage or the 3rd when it kicks it down a few gears too? the 3rd is really effective!

Possibly both manual exhaust , and will do it when its on auto exhaust brake also.

Late sixties, early seventies, plenty of lorries had this. The story going around then was that it was so the cops could see if you were slowing down on the handbrake after going past them a bit quick. :unamused:

Yeah ok I’m an old git and drove when men were men and women new what to do. :slight_smile: