Parked Vehicles

Hello can somebody please clear something up…
i have been training all week and every thing is fine apart from

1. Parked Vehicles and indicating …
    can some one explain to me in lehman terms please and also

Every time i go into the right lane at a round about i have a load of greif !
i get ppl trying to get past me as im approaching and as im trying to get back
into the left before the exit on my “mock tests” keep failing !!!

but instructor not very helpful just says at the end of the drive FAIL !!!
CAN YOU HELP!!!

Yes, smack your instructor around the head and tell him to INSTRUCT you!

When approaching parked vehicles, check your mirror in plenty of time and if required flick indicator twice and move around the obstruction. If you don’t have to cross the centreline of the road and nothing is following, no need to indicate. IMHO of course, somebody will be along shortly to disagree…

Hi Westhamtrucker

Parked vehicles
In simple terms parked vehicles usually mean you need to change direction to pull out past them.

1. Check mirrors to make sure it is safe to actually move out, ie that nobody is overtaking you.
  2. If there is a vehicle / motorbike behind you let them know your intention to move out to the right with a signal.
  3. Before moving out make a final mirror check
  4. Make certain there is sufficient clearance between the parked car and the oncoming traffic. If not generally it is better to give way to the oncoming vehicles unless they make it very clear they are letting you go first.
  5. After moving out cancel the signal and do a follow through check in the nearside mirror as you pass the stationary vehicle.
  6. If there are more parked cars try to hold the command position out to the right otherwise move back to the normal position closer to the left kerb.

Turning right at roundabout
This causes some people a lot of problems with cars attempting to pass you on the nearside and preventing you from moving back to the left for your exit.
The most common fault is the candidate not looking at the left mirror pretty much for the entire journey round the island. If you are checking the left mirror you can see any problems on the left as they occur and can take action. For example if the instruction is to “take the 3rd exit at the roundabout to the right” you will approach in the right hand lane. Watch the left mirror from the time you enter the roundabout. If a vehicle attempts to pass you on the left you can slow down allowing him to get clear.

As soon as you are level with the 2nd exit change the signal to a left one. This action will usually stop vehicles from going past you allowing you to move to the left.

If all fails keep the right indicator on and go around again. In this extreme case explain to the examiner why you took that action.

Hope this helps

Regards

John
Flair Training

OOHH! So I got it right then, did I? :sunglasses:

Watch the left mirror from the time you enter the roundabout. If a vehicle attempts to pass you on the left you can slow down allowing him to get clear.

Totally agree. I also add that it’s the difference between watching a video and a snapshot. Doing it as John has described is the video. The OP is describing what happens when relying on a snapshot. The situation is moving and changing all the time so all round observation is paramount.

Thanks, John, for a very thorough and correct IMO explanation.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

THANKS GUYS UR THE BEST !

THANKS GUYS UR THE BEST !

Oh, I’m all embarrassed now! :blush: :blush:

Seems a harsh style of teaching. My instrutor taught me to be pushy in the lorry (to a point) or otherwise car drivers will just take the ■■■■ and try and get past at any cost.

Saaamon:
My instrutor taught me to be pushy in the lorry (to a point)

I am taking “Pushy” to mean forceful. You have to be very careful with that strategy. Bullying the cars about has to be done in a most subtle way. Most cars coming through gaps towards you will take as much room as they can get away with. You keeping out wide will usually gently ease them to their left, creating more space for you both.

A low gear slow speed does the trick but beware the ‘L’ plate cars who panic and stop, making you look aggresive. A serious is never far away in these cases.

Regards

John
Flair Training

LGVTrainer:

Saaamon:
My instrutor taught me to be pushy in the lorry (to a point)

I am taking “Pushy” to mean forceful. You have to be very careful with that strategy. Bullying the cars about has to be done in a most subtle way. Most cars coming through gaps towards you will take as much room as they can get away with. You keeping out wide will usually gently ease them to their left, creating more space for you both.

A low gear slow speed does the trick but beware the ‘L’ plate cars who panic and stop, making you look aggresive. A serious is never far away in these cases.

Regards

John
Flair Training

I think the way i wrote that def came across as though i was taught to bully. When i was doing rigid i was scared as such to use the vehicle to show intention as i was worried that it was going to go wrong.

Change the word bully to command. It was the same on a motorbike, command the road and it avoids you sliding off on a diesel covered manhole cover.

That’s the term I was taught with “command the road” but don’t “bully”

Wheel Nut:
Change the word bully to command. It was the same on a motorbike, command the road and it avoids you sliding off on a diesel covered manhole cover.

Thats the word i should of used, i did get a bollocking a couple of times when i start “bullying”.

That’s how I was taught “take your road position and command it”

once you have passed go and seek revenge on said cars in the truck!! lol

The Sarge:
That’s how I was taught “take your road position and command it”

x2

Trust me when you pass (Which I have no doubt you will :smiley: ) You’ll soon learn how to command the road! :laughing:

Sadly probably 90% of other road users are totally oblivious to the fact an HGV needs a huge amount more room and time to start, stop and get round even mundane things such as roundabouts!

Show your intentions as early as you can…

thank you for all your help guys i have been reading a lot on these forums
and i am loving the knowledge on here …

can someone clear up something im currenly reading Road craft Police drivers hand book
“very good i recomend highly”
anyway the issue is signalling
i have failed my first test on this and apart from signalling i had a clean test sheet !!!

anyway i know not to signal on the approach of a round about if going straight on
but what im unsure on is this point in the book Road craft it says
“signal whenever it could benefit another road user”
so if im on my hgv test and signal to go left with nobody behind me will he mark me for it ?
PLEASE HELP!

I Have failed a hgv test on signalling clean sheet apart from that anyway since that day i have read loads about
what to do etc … i am currently reading a book called Road craft Police drivers hand book
when refeering to signalling it says “signal whenever it could benefit another road user”

so does this mean in theory if the examiner says turn left at the next round about and i signal with no one around
he can mark me for it ?

can SOMEONE HELP!!! :smiley:

westhamtrucker:
I Have failed a hgv test on signalling clean sheet apart from that anyway since that day i have read loads about
what to do etc … i am currently reading a book called Road craft Police drivers hand book
when refeering to signalling it says “signal whenever it could benefit another road user”

so does this mean in theory if the examiner says turn left at the next round about and i signal with no one around
he can mark me for it ?

can SOMEONE HELP!!! :smiley:

I asked the very same question and my instrutor said “in the lorry was always signal” so thats what we did.

Your tutor doesn’t sound very good. Did you get three minors or a serious to get the fail?