PAPER FOR TACHO

Guys
Should i or can i refuse to take my truck out because the boss hasnt got any tacho rolls in the yard and theres none in tacho unit or any spare in the cab… :confused:

Yes you can and yes you should! If you get stopped and you have no paper VOSA will not be happy, it is a legal requirement, and you should have one in the tacho and one spare, my current place gives us a box of three they expect to be full of spares at all times so we are safe. I also carry 2 of my own spares I acquired in my bag “just in case”. It is your wallet that will get hit when you get caught without any :wink:
Taken from VOSA regs

• carry sufficient supplies of type-approved print roll on board the vehicle so that a printout can be
    produced at an enforcement officer’s request;
    Not sure what the fine would be if any but its defo a necessity

From HERE

Failing to ensure printing can be carried out on request or insufficient paper being carried = £60 fine

OllieNotts:
…and you should have one in the tacho and one spare…

Not true. The regulations only say you should carry sufficient supplies of type-approved print roll on board the vehicle so that a printout can be produced at an enforcement officer’s request;. If you get stopped and they ask you to print out the current day and yesterday and you can do so then that was sufficient paper.

Obviously it is a good idea to carry a couple of rolls but it isn’t a legal requirement to have 2, 3 4 or however many rolls.

Thanks for the good advise, Just had conversation with my boss,(a bit P***ed now) he reckons he has some thermal print paper that we use for some other print device in the yard, will this be ok to use as it,s clearly not the correct tacho paper. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

OllieNotts:

Not true. The regulations only say you should carry sufficient supplies of type-approved print roll on board the vehicle so that a printout can be produced at an enforcement officer’s request;. If you get stopped and they ask you to print out the current day and yesterday and you can do so then that was sufficient paper.

Obviously it is a good idea to carry a couple of rolls but it isn’t a legal requirement to have 2, 3 4 or however many rolls.

The problem is how do you or VOSA interpret sufficient? Enough to print a day? 2 days? week?

Personally a spare roll in my bag just incase.

Bonsaiman:
Thanks for the good advise, Just had conversation with my boss,(a bit P***ed now) he reckons he has some thermal print paper that we use for some other print device in the yard, will this be ok to use as it,s clearly not the correct tacho paper. :wink:

Probably not.

carry sufficient supplies of type-approved print roll on board the vehicle so that a printout can be produced at an enforcement officer’s request;

B1 GGK:

Coffeeholic:

OllieNotts:

The problem is how do you or VOSA interpret sufficient? Enough to print a day? 2 days? week?

Personally a spare roll in my bag just incase.

Indeed, I’ve always got at least a couple of rolls.

I was just pointing out that the assertion so many drivers make that it is a legal requirement to have X amount of rolls is ■■■■■■■■ as the regulations do not stipulate a certain number must be carried.

Another popular load of bollo… err I mean myth, is that each roll prints out exactly 28 days. The people saying this have clearly never seen a printout. I’ve had printouts that are about 18 inches long for one day and others that are 6 inches long for a day.

Ahh, I didnt mean it is legal to carry 2 rolls just that sufficient paper will be required and obviously as we dont know how many will be needed it is good practice to carry a couple or more. I see what you mean about the 1 roll 2 roll thing but always better to be safe then sorry, I canr believe that a “boss” would try and say you dont need any though :unamused: :laughing:

OllieNotts:
Yes you can and yes you should! If you get stopped and you have no paper VOSA will not be happy, it is a legal requirement, and you should have one in the tacho and one spare, my current place gives us a box of three they expect to be full of spares at all times so we are safe. I also carry 2 of my own spares I acquired in my bag “just in case”. It is your wallet that will get hit when you get caught without any :wink:
Taken from VOSA regs

• carry sufficient supplies of type-approved print roll on board the vehicle so that a printout can be

would this be OllieNotts spouting ■■■■■■■■ again? :unamused:

anyway, i thought you said you were leaving, or was that just a load of ■■■■■■■■ too :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Explain which part is ■■■■■■■■, and mr hard man never did come and see me did you? Didn’t realise you were god on here…

Probably the reason that bosses don’t like buying rolls of paper is that drivers tealeaf most of them for their dinner bag, it is a simple process to see if there is any paper in the head unit, and if there is half a roll that is sufficient. I don’t think I have used more than about 5 feet of paper since I got a digital card, and it expires in April

OllieNotts:
Explain which part is ■■■■■■■■, and mr hard man never did come and see me did you? Didn’t realise you were god on here…

ok, i will :unamused:

shuttlespanker:

OllieNotts:
Taken from VOSA regs

would this be OllieNotts spouting ■■■■■■■■ again? :unamused:

anyway, i thought you said you were leaving, or was that just a load of ■■■■■■■■ too :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

that bit :wink:

and obviously, that bit too :unamused:

I didn’t say it was a legal requirement to carry rolls I said he should thanks for pointing that out, it is a requirement to carry sufficient paper to do a print out as also stated straight from VOSA regs so ■■■■ off with your high and mighty bully boy crap you sad little man grow the ■■■■ up.

OllieNotts:
I didn’t say it was a legal requirement to carry rolls I said he should thanks for pointing that out, it is a requirement to carry sufficient paper to do a print out as also stated straight from VOSA regs so [zb] off with your high and mighty bully boy crap you sad little man grow the [zb] up.

you also said he SHOULD have one in the tacho, it was even in the same sentence :unamused:

now, that IS a legal requierment :wink: carrying a spare roll is NOT a legal requirement, unless the roll in the tacho head unit is about to run out

OllieNotts:
I didn’t say it was a legal requirement to carry rolls I said he should thanks for pointing that out, it is a requirement to carry sufficient paper to do a print out as also stated straight from VOSA regs so [zb] off with your high and mighty bully boy crap you sad little man grow the [zb] up.

oh, and you can always tell those of low intelligence, can’t have a civilised argument without the need for swearing :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

OllieNotts:

you also said he SHOULD have one in the tacho, it was even in the same sentence :unamused:

now, that IS a legal requierment :wink: carrying a spare roll is NOT a legal requirement, unless the roll in the tacho head unit is about to run out

I am looking for the rules that say you need to carry 5 rolls and the company who think you need to carry a pack of three.

Something for the weekend Sir? :stuck_out_tongue:

shuttlespanker:

OllieNotts:

now, that IS a legal requierment

Is it?

VOSA don’t stipulate that a roll must be in the . From their guide,

When driving a vehicle that is equipped with a digital tachograph, drivers should:

ensure that the instrument is calibrated by inspecting the calibration plaque or interrogating the instrument;

ensure that their driver card is inserted into the correct slot (driver in slot 1, second driver in slot 2) from the moment they take over the vehicle, and that it is ready for use, before the vehicle is moved;

record the country in which they begin and end their daily work period. This must always be carried out at the time of the start or end of the period, even if the card is not to be withdrawn or inserted (for example if the card is left in overnight);

carry sufficient supplies of type-approved print roll on board the vehicle so that a printout can be produced at an enforcement officer’s request;

ensure that all duties conducted since the driver card was last removed from a tachograph are manually entered onto the card record, using the manual entry facility on the tachograph;

ensure that the tachograph is working properly;

Doesn’t say the roll must be in the VU, only that it must be on board the vehicle.

Stopped in a check with no roll in the head and asked to produce a print out you could put the roll in and then produce the print out. That seems to comply with the above.

thanks guys, interesting coments all round :stuck_out_tongue: , had a good chat in the office this morning, i think the pennies dropped with the boss man, in a nut shell truck stays in the yard tonight if no paper available. :imp:

Wheel Nut:

shuttlespanker:

OllieNotts:

I am looking for the rules that say you need to carry 5 rolls and the company who think you need to carry a pack of three.

Something for the weekend Sir? :stuck_out_tongue:

I never said there was a rule that you must carry 5 roles :unamused: I said I was issued a box of three by my current employer and I also had two in my bag I always carried round incase of moving motors and there being non in etc ffs