OWNER DRIVER?

My cpc holder visits me every week at my site goes through all the correct procedures and costs me £100 per week. I did check that this was legal before starting, so long as the cpc holder carries out the duties as set out I am ok. With regard to start and finish times I start as normal and finish when my loads are done or my hours are up. My rig is my own and my choice of work is mine as well. All of my time spent working for a company that was run by a man who could not drive a truck had no idea of what was involved is behind me. I am completely happy so I say if you can do it go for it.

allikat:
A hired in CPC holder HAS to visit the premises regularly to check on things. It’s his CPC under threat if you mess up badly enough and he doesn’t catch it.

And your O’licence!!!

cheers
STEVE.

I seem to remember last year that the Traffic Commissioners were looking into the whole business of CPC holders named on multiple operators licences with a great deal of concern.

Indeed, if I recall correctly, a number of “O” licences were revolked as it was felt insufficient time or access was given over by these “rent a cpc” transport managers.

I suspect new applications for licences with such “competence” arrangements may well be frowned upon.

btw, my info comes from the pages of Commercial Motor - not read it in 6 months though as my subs expired and it really was too dull a read to bother renewing.

-/ skulks away having offended bbs sponsors :blush:

Hello there Funnyfut (probably means something to you) its nice to see youve had the balls to have a go your self Its a hard slog in the beginning but there is no better feeling at the end of a good week when the Truck is parked up washed and ready for work on Monday.The hard work and long hours do give you a feeling of achievment and its good to be in charge of your own destiny.Has for working weekends thats not always going to be the case, has the longer youve been trading the better Truck youll be able to afford and the less time youll have to spend under it.But dont try to become a Millionaire over night Good luck.

funnyfut:
My cpc holder visits me every week at my site goes through all the correct procedures and costs me £100 per week. I did check that this was legal before starting, so long as the cpc holder carries out the duties as set out I am ok. With regard to start and finish times I start as normal and finish when my loads are done or my hours are up. My rig is my own and my choice of work is mine as well. All of my time spent working for a company that was run by a man who could not drive a truck had no idea of what was involved is behind me. I am completely happy so I say if you can do it go for it.

tell you what funnyfut…

I will do a tony blair/labour/conservative/lying robbing git service… I am an operator and obviously a cpc holder… I will visit you once a MONTH for £800! ha ha

Seriously though… that sounds expensive… if you dont mind me asking what do you get for £100 P/W? how long does it take? I want £100 P/W per truck for my duties as opo (the manager/accountant/driver/fitter/cleaning services are all in my spare time)!!!

Regards

Taz

PS… Am looking for return loads to POLAND right now… 13.6M tilts any area… anyone know owt??

Why not go for the cpc yourself? Wouldn’t that be cheaper long term?

Now I’ll admit to being a hypocrite — I’m lucky that my Dad had grandfather rights! But I will do it myself soon — I’ve read a couple of books, but I do find I pay far more attention to the bits relevant to me, and that’s not the way to pass the test!

good luck to you tony i started in jan of last year and was doing ok until a run of bad luck.i was earning more money than i had ever earned as an employed driver but was puttimg it all back into the company by not drawing a wage (except to cover my domestic requirements).

that was until i was forced off the road for 5 weeks due to a lowloader hitting me as i overtook him on the A14 so i had 5 weeks with no income at all the insurance sent me a letter this week saying they agree that i bear no responsibility for the accident but it will take months if not years to sort out the loss of earnings claim.

the reason i tell you this is not to put you off but to make you aware that it may not be all rosy and you need to keep a contingency fund (other than the financial requirment for o licence)in case of emergancies because if i had not i would have had to fold the company.

having said that it has not put me off i’m just a bit more aware when it comes to spending than i was when i was employed and getting a “regular” wage so i tend not to buy anything until i have the money there now

You could always do like many owner drivers - claim you don’t have the time to study - get your wife to earn her CPC and then use her as a dedicated TM. Then you can pay her as well and use up her tax allowance as well as putting all her expenses through the books.

I know, I speak from experience - I hold the CPC for my husband’s company. However as I already work full time he can’t get many benefits of using my tax allowance - so therefore doesn’t pay me anything - which also means the accountant also wuestions any of my expenses going through the books!!!

Is it possible to really go out there buy a tractor unit and get traction only work,How do you go about it,opp licence, cpc ect,insurance costs,maintainence,ect,ect,■■?Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thank/you Tony…

Hi Tony well after being stuffed by my last employer who still owes me over a months salary I decided to look at the same thing, doing it myself.
You can pick up a unit from many sources at a good price, insurance is there from many places at a monthly rate, operaters licence can be obtained via many cpc holders from £100 per month. It all comes down to going out and doing it, I am glad I have within the last month I have picked up a good contract with spot on payments and have actually made a living. It is hard I work maximum hours but I am now working for myself. Try it all you have to lose is the cost of the unit but at least you have tried.

funnyfut:
Hi Tony well after being stuffed by my last employer who still owes me over a months salary I decided to look at the same thing, doing it myself.
You can pick up a unit from many sources at a good price, insurance is there from many places at a monthly rate, operaters licence can be obtained via many cpc holders from £100 per month. It all comes down to going out and doing it, I am glad I have within the last month I have picked up a good contract with spot on payments and have actually made a living. It is hard I work maximum hours but I am now working for myself. Try it all you have to lose is the cost of the unit but at least you have tried.

funnyfut,
As regards your operators licence, are you sure what you are doing is legal?
Is it not cheaper to take a couple of weeks off and do a course or even do a correspondence course? There are plenty around

:exclamation: There seems to be a common misconception that you HAVE to have a CPC in order to get an “O” license. This is NOT the case. You can employ the services of a license holder as your “Consultant Transport Manager” (part time). Some CPC holders advertise this service & will also help with license applications.
This IS legal, running your vehicle on someone elses license IS NOT.

Tony, this “start up requirements” topic has been discussed many times before. You will find a lot of helpful info if you do a search for, say, “owner driver” both here & in the old forum.

Also, this is relevent:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1007

Glad to see you are doing OK, funnyfut :laughing:

how you doing austin

Have a look on my site for more details and also details of who is taking on owner drivers

Driveroneuk:
:!: There seems to be a common misconception that you HAVE to have a CPC in order to get an “O” license. This is NOT the case. You can employ the services of a license holder as your “Consultant Transport Manager” (part time). Some CPC holders advertise this service & will also help with license applications.
This IS legal, running your vehicle on someone elses license IS NOT.

Tony, this “start up requirements” topic has been discussed many times before. You will find a lot of helpful info if you do a search for, say, “owner driver” both here & in the old forum.

Also, this is relevent:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1007

Spot on Johnathan :slight_smile:

cheers
STEVE.

I have sat my national and international cpc just before Christmas waiting for results. It is legal to employ the services of a cpc holder to provide you with an O licence I did check this before starting. What I will say is the trffic com people are very helpful and do ask them for advice and they are really keen to provide all the info so ask.

Hey Bear doing well keep in touch

And don’t forget things like the financial requirement, advertising your operating centre in the local press etc etc.

And my understanding is that a part time TM has to have a certain amount of access to the records, trucks, OC etc etc. I thought it was something like 15 hrs per week?

I wouldn’t discourage ANYONE form going the OD route if they have a sound business plan and PLAY BY THE RULES!!! Having a few quid to buy the truck is the easy bit.

Owner/Driver seems to be a popular thing here but for the life of me i cannot understand why? I know several guys who own or lease a truck, they work hard all week, get home and service the truck or do repairs during time off the road or pay vast bills when they get someone else to do it, they have no time for a social life, they can’t even afford to go away or be sick because the truck stands still and looses money.

I drive a top of the range truck, I work Monday to Friday, I earn well above the average wage for this area and when I get back to the yard I just get out of the cab and go home, it’s someone elses job to service it, repair it and wash it. Nothing could persuade me to own or lease.

funnyfut:
I have sat my national and international cpc just before Christmas waiting for results. It is legal to employ the services of a cpc holder

Agreed.

funnyfut:
It is legal to employ the services of a cpc holder to provide you with an O licence

Hmmmm. :question: