Owens Road Services

Anyone know much about these?

Possibility of a job near me…wondering what they are like?

Got an interview tomorrow…

2 days, 2 nights, 2 off…3 of us sharing a lorry. £8 ph.

Mainly foodstuffs but some steel. Never done steel before :open_mouth:

I havent done much steel but Ive always been told plenty of straps and good timbers is the key.

What sort of steel - plates, coils, slit coils, sheets, channels, flats, angles, RSJs, … :question: :question: :question:

I think they do alot of coil Rog

No idea what sort of steel…didn’t ask.

I know they work out of Corus in Wales sometimes…if that’s any help?

I will be asking tomorrow what training they would give me if they want me to work on steel…as i have never done it before!

I havent had any just go and load that was mine :unamused: :neutral_face:

DonutUK:
I will be asking tomorrow what training they would give me if they want me to work on steel…as i have never done it before!

Excellent idea - steel can be very dangerous if not secred properly and with the correct restraints.
Just to prove a point, have at look at this post from toady …
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49900&start=0

If told straps are ok then ask - why not chains? - some steel is ok with straps but most needs chains and tensioners - ratchet ones are safer than lock-over type

There is some info on straps, chain tensioners etc via the link in my signature if you want to take a look…

my mate works for them 4 on 4 off got a brand new XF105 he shares with another driver. he says it’s one of the best jobs he’s ever had.
if you’re going to be doing shifts you’ll mainly be doing supermarket stuff to RDC’s the steel is usually for the trampers.
if you want any advice on steel though ask away thats all i load out of spain for the rest of europe

welshboyinspain:
if you want any advice on steel though ask away thats all i load out of spain for the rest of europe

you can’t trust him with owt else he only breaks it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DonutUK:

Good luck with the interview mate but £8 ph for a class 1 :confused: - mind you if you are on a mileage bonus, you"ll be quids in being triple manned :laughing:

Vascoingles:

welshboyinspain:

you can’t trust him with owt else he only breaks it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

oi grandad what have i broken :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Well…it wasn’t much of an interview! Didn’t even ask to see my licence!

Apparently it will be a brand new MAN unit, not coming in till start of Sept, and will be mainly doing the cans contract out of Wrexham, and possibly some of the pot noodle pots with occasional steel.

Definitely £8 per hour, i double checked and asked him if it was paid per shift or per hour, he said you get paid for what you do…if you do 15 you get paid for it.
Only thing i was a little cautious over was that he mentioned if the truck was running late the driver would normally phone his relief and tell them not to come till later. Clearly they have a view that the shift starts when your truck arrives! Might have an issue with that.

There will be a company induction and all kit is provided, including cleaning materials for the truck.

He is going to phone me when the truck arrives.

If i’m honest, it’s not what i would really want, but having been out of the game for a while, might do to get my experience back up and confidence back up.

Doesn’t sound like too much work involved i.e. lots of handball or anything like that, probably just going to be long hours.

Is this based in South Wales?

If you do end up on the steel, the Corus rules are very strict about cargo lashing. They will only allow it to be done “their way”

Other drivers may point you in the right direction but I expect you will need to hit the road running. Don’t cut corners on the strapping or dunnage.

Wayne:
Is this based in South Wales?

Nope. They have a yard in Droitwich now.

Will be based out of there.

DonutUK:
Only thing i was a little cautious over was that he mentioned if the truck was running late the driver would normally phone his relief and tell them not to come till later. Clearly they have a view that the shift starts when your truck arrives! Might have an issue with that.

if thats the case then drag your shift out and make the money up that way.

once you get to know the other drivers get them to text you if they are having problems anywhere and at least you will have a rough idea if they are going to be late back (or even early). shouldnt be a problem then…

Suedehead:

DonutUK:

Good luck with the interview mate but £8 ph for a class 1 :confused: - mind you if you are on a mileage bonus, you"ll be quids in being triple manned :laughing:

if you’re going to get say 12 hours a shift then 48 hours at 8quid isnt that bad for 4 days work. 384 quid is better than the dole.
don’t see how 3 of you can share a truck on that shift pattern though?

welshboyinspain:

Suedehead:

DonutUK:

if you’re going to get say 12 hours a shift then 48 hours at 8quid isnt that bad for 4 days work. 384 quid is better than the dole.
don’t see how 3 of you can share a truck on that shift pattern though?

I guess one would be on days, one on nights and the other off.

I can see there being a problem when running late though…i get the impression that the expectation is that your shift starts when you get in the truck…not at a set time.

maybe after you’ve started you could apply to do what my mate does which is 4 days tramping then 4 off so once you start you know when you’ll be home and when you have to return and booking 4 days hols get you 12 days off :smiley: