Overtime

Hi what are the rules on overtime i.e can an employer make u go back out after u have done 8 hours or not ?
Reason i ask as im currently on temp to perm with sainsburys(nft) and am rostererd on at midnight so i do an 8 hour shift whitch is genrally two trips and they want to send u out again , i have never been one for long hours i will stay out if job needs too but when u have drivers starting evry hour of the day why they lumbering me with 12 hour days?

:exclamation:

Good question, Davey Boy. I once refused to go out after doing 10 hours stating my contract says I am contracted for 8 hours a day, overtime MAY be available. I got threatened with a written warning and suspension :unamused: (They didn’t seem to know their employment law, though, cos you can’t punish someone with a suspension)

I also would be interested to know where drivers stand, because surely employers can’t force you to work 15 hours a day?

My understanding is that an employer cannot force you to do overtime - however a bit of flexibility can go a long way. If it is a regular problem then the best option would be to speak to Citizens Advice.

Then again if you are having problems like this whilst on a temp to perm are you sure you will want to go on a permanent job with them ■■

G

Maybe they’re lumbering you with them because their regular drivers won’t/don’t want to do them? As you temp to perm, maybe they feel they’ve got a leaver.

Having said that, their is a culture of long hours in the industry and I’d be very suprised if you found yourself a 8 hour day somewhere earning anywhere near the money you want (someone u’ll prove me wrong now :unamused::lol:).

I’m not sure what the law is on having to do it, but if your contracted for a certain amount of o/t, then you have to do it, although if you say your not fit to do it through fatigue or whatever, then they can’t make you do it.

i earn enough because im on nights i get around 11 p/h i no the industry has long hours ive been in trucing through the stages of 7.5 to class 2 and finally class1 a month ago , i dont mind being out till say 10 in morning if the job i am on will take that long but all jobs are timed at stores so u dont get several trucks from diffrent depots turning up at same time… so i go out at about 1am and computer has me booked in for three at store i can arrive an hour either way and still be on time , bu t in morning they start shipping out the ambiant loads 4 sometimes 5 hours early so u have to either park up for a few hours and sleep or cause hell at store by turning up early…

i think u are right about some of the reguler drivers refusing loads so they givve it the agency guys will have to ask around further.

Thanks guys

As the runs come in for say sainsburys, they try and give a driver a decent days work, so if you have someone starting at lets say 02.00 and there is a job on the desk which will only take 2 hours (local store), they are going to try and kepe hold of that until someone comes in like yourself that has only done 8 hours rather than give it to the bloke that has just started, they are more likely to hold onto him until a long run comes up. (ex sainsburys driver here :wink: )

sound about right gurner i have seen that a few times , but u no as well as i do a few hours can be a lot longer with some of the muppets on the back doors these days…
What sort of days did u do when u worked there gurner just so i can compare to other depots?

:smiley:

Read your contract ( if you got one).It will tell you about overtime. :wink:

Davey Boy:
sound about right gurner i have seen that a few times , but u no as well as i do a few hours can be a lot longer with some of the muppets on the back doors these days…
What sort of days did u do when u worked there gurner just so i can compare to other depots?

I was on with Exel out of Bristol, the rota was pretty crap to be honest, but it has since changed, they only do 18 days over 4 week, with 2 whole weekends off a month, its something like 4 on 2 off, 3 on 2 off x 3 then a 5 on and 2 off and back to the start again, each of there shift is based on 11 1/4 hours, they work on the banked hours system, and for band 6 (14.00-18.00) starts, the basic is £27.3k a year.
I would have stayed, but as the depot was 45 minutes from home, i found a nice little number 5 minutes from home :smiley:

This is the important bit here…

Davey Boy:
am rostererd on at midnight so i do an 8 hour shift whitch is genrally two trips and they want to send u out again :exclamation:

Under the new WTD you can only exceed a 10 hour night if you join a workplace optout. If you do any work between midnight and 4am on a wagon, you are a nigth worker and by default under a 10 hour limit unless you have joined the opt-out. If the run would have been under 2 hours there and back, then you can’t complain, but they CANNOT require you to go over 10 hours at night. Note: Bribery with stacks of cash is another thing entirely :laughing:

yer i remember i had to opt out with the agency when i joined them,
im not anti overtime like today i finished at 10.30 after diesali up and droping trailor i dont mind that as run made me stay out that long …what i dont want is getting back around 8 and they want me to go out again then…

It is against the law to be forced into overtime.

Your contract may state that they expect you to do reasonable overtime however 10mins can be considered by yourself as reasonable overtime. To be disciplined for not doing overtime is against the law and an employment solicitor will jump on a case like that in a flash.

An average person in an average job does 38 hours per week. If they were then asked to to 60 hours the following week the answer would be “up yours”
If they where forced to do this then an employment tribunal would look badly on the employers.

So with this in mind if you do over 40hrs in a week then tell them thats enough you dont want anymore overtime. Im sure the girls in the office working out the wages dont do that many hours so why should you

Phil

Spacemonkeypg:
It is against the law to be forced into overtime.

Phil

Are you sure about that ?

I’ve always been expectd to do the hours as long as they’re legal…

“so what you’ve had 3 consecutive 9 hour breaks” :unamused:

Yes you are not required to work overtime unless your contract states overtime required. If you contract states this, and does not state how much overtime, then the amount of overtime is up to you. 5 mins or 5 hours

Overtime generaly is anything over 38hrs per week.

Also if you do not have a contract after working for a company for more than two weeks you are covered by the standard statutary contract. In other words you are covered by all parts of employment law.

Alot of contracts for transport firms say if and when management decide employee must be prepared to do other duties i.e. yard duties and or drive other vehicles within the company.

Again you only have to do this if you are going into overtime