Overtime counts for holiday pay calculations

Given that most drivers have to work an inordinate amount of overtime to generate a living wage this may be of interest:

bbc.co.uk/news/business-29896810

:slight_smile:

Businesses will dig their heels in and this will drag on for years.

Now they need to rule on other “Allowances”, maybe ban them and combine a wage.

It is crazy how companies such as stobrats get away with paying holidays at “Basic £7.20”, leaving you well out of pocket when you look at a normal wage

trubster:

It is crazy how companies such as stobrats get away with paying holidays at “Basic £7.20”, leaving you well out of pocket when you look at a normal wage
[/quote ]

Sometimes being salaried has benefits.

Very true, as long as you get paid overtime or get “Time in lieu”

Salary (With none of the above) doesn’t really work well in this industry where you are at the mercy of others when it comes to your hours

To save a load of lawyers getting fat and rich from a court of appeal process, I for one would be happy if backdated payments where not allowed.

But then I, m biased as I haven, t booked me jollies yet.

trubster:
Very true, as long as you get paid overtime or get “Time in lieu”

Salary (With none of the above) doesn’t really work well in this industry where you are at the mercy of others when it comes to your hours

Weekends are overtime, but rare.
I rarely work more than 60 hours a week.

No, not telling… :sunglasses:

In this profession, they’ve already got a cop-out of:

“But your salaried working week is 55 hours… That means you don’t GET overtime, because there are not enough spare hours left for hours beyond 55 to be worked legally! - It would thus be against the law for us to pay you decently, or cut your hours, or do any deals whatsoever that cost us, your employer money, and leave you, the indentured servant erm… I mean loyal workforce ‘better off’. Sorry bud, times will forever be 'ard, and then you’ll die. C’est la Vie!”

fdm:

trubster:

[/quote ]

Sometimes being salaried has benefits.

Providing it’s for 35-40 hours in line with “other, normal” workers. :exclamation:

It said on the news an appeal is expected so as stated above, this could drag on for years. A few company’s could go to the wall through the decision if it all stands up after the appeal gets heard. Mind you it’ll serve em right for not paying their workers what they’re owed.

Trying to work out if it will affect me as i work a 48 hr week but am paid for 42 with 6 hrs guaranteed 0/T so total 48 hrs

trubster:

I agree it’s criminal. The ‘meal allowance’ at Stobarts as well is nothing but a fiddle, anybody can see that a firm paying £15 a day or £75 a week (correct me if I am wrong) in meal allowances to a day worker is excessive.

Holidays should be paid at your average rate of actual pay.

I usually earn a bit more on my weeks off because I get a Sunday shift in the week before (double rate) to nudge the average up a bit :sunglasses:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
It said on the news an appeal is expected so as stated above, this could drag on for years. A few company’s could go to the wall through the decision if it all stands up after the appeal gets heard. Mind you it’ll serve em right for not paying their workers what they’re owed.

They deserve to go to the wall then! Who cares about them? They’ve not give a toss about me during my working life and gotten fat from the fruits of my labour.

You need a maths/science degree these days just to understand your wage slip (if you get one) or Arthur Daley to explain the latest scam that’s in use to stop you earning above the absolute minimum!

Shysters the lot of em - let em go!

Ooooo I going to be a billioneer, my flat week is 37.5 hours everythingafter is oovertime :sunglasses: … Like I have ever done 37.5 hours :laughing:

Try this,

foxandpartners.co.uk

log on for a free check to see if you have a Holiday Pay claim.

There’ll be company’s crawling out of the woodwork like these PPI claim firms wanting to get their hands on a slice of the pie. Phones will be ringing non stop.

think this is aimed at the wrong companies i.e stobrats and others who pay flat rate etc or use benefits to increase take home knowing it will reduce holiday pay. not companies who pay overtime at decents rates etc.

Hi Fox are the company that took the fight to the council,s and health boards, for the under paid workers, throughout the uk.

How is this going to affect agency drivers?

thetastytrucker:
Trying to work out if it will affect me as i work a 48 hr week but am paid for 42 with 6 hrs guaranteed 0/T so total 48 hrs

You should gain in that your holiday pay will reflect that your normal working week is 48 rather than 42 hours.

Holiday pay for RM drivers with Scheduled Attendance (contract overtime) written into their duties already benefit from such “improved holiday pay”.

If you’re already getting this way of calculating your holiday pay, you won’t gain - because you’re already getting it.