Overtaking

What’s people’s views on hgv’s overtaking hgv’s on a single carriageway?
This morning I was overtaken by another Hgv on a single carriageway. Was doing the speed limit 40mph and after about 5 miles of truck behind trying to push me to break the limit he overtook having to cross no overtaking markings on the road. To be fair the road was clear and the manoeuvre didn’t really cause any danger to anyone. I did take reg and company name but unsure if to bother reporting or not.
Is it actually legal to overtake as I thought not but not 100% sure to be fair. I just know I wouldn’t.

Illegal if he’s crossed solid white line but you need to chill out, why think about reporting him you said it was all done safely.

Jesus wept man, he overtook you, apparently with no danger at all to anyone else, what’s the problem.

So what he crossed a bit of white paint.

Faz, as a professional driver you should know what the road markings are for. As for reporting another driver who didn’t make a dangerous manoeuvre,it would be a bit mean to get another driver into trouble. Also you would have to prove it.

As far as I know you can use a speed over the limit to overtake provided not excessive and you return to the speed limit as soon as manoeuvre over and you’ve returned to your carriageway.

Now what’s excessive is a subjective matter but to me it’s what it takes to get passed quickly and safely to minimise the overtake time.

Edit : forget above unless no cameras, police cars, witness’s or do-gooders about. It is illegal to overtake if doing so will cause you to exceed the speed limit for carriageway your on!

Don’t feed the troll :unamused:

Faz5837:
This morning I was overtaken by another Hgv on a single carriageway. Was doing the speed limit 40mph and after about 5 miles of truck behind trying to push me to break the limit he overtook having to cross no overtaking markings on the road. To be fair the road was clear and the manoeuvre didn’t really cause any danger to anyone. I did take reg and company name but unsure if to bother reporting or not.
Is it actually legal to overtake as I thought not but not 100% sure to be fair. I just know I wouldn’t.

You are in the wrong job mate, traffic warden would be more up your street, just think all day reporting people.

FFS simple…

Faz5837:
To be fair the road was clear and the manoeuvre didn’t really cause any danger to anyone. I did take reg and company name but unsure if to bother reporting or not.

Judging by your post, you haven’t had ■■■ for a long time have you? #tnukcsi

How long? A year? Two? Ever? :open_mouth:

:unamused:

Faz5837:

Who died and made you a traffic cop?

■■■-----------------!

If it wasn’t busy & you wasn’t in a hurry? Why didn’t you slow down & let him pass ?
Would have cost you 10 seconds at the most & you wouldn’t be stressing on here about it.
& everybody knows-Saturday Mornings=Flat to the Mat, Pubs open at 11.

This isn’t going too well for the OP is it, can’t think why not !!

Concentrate on your own driving and let others get on with it.

Would never dream of grassing up another motorist unless they were drink or drug driving.

Although the OP didn’t say,I think that subconsciously,he was worried that there may have been some children crossing the road :exclamation:

Baggie:
Although the OP didn’t say,I think that subconsciously,he was worried that there may have been some children crossing the road :exclamation:

Yes, think of the children!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Are we at page 2 yet?

Reef:
Are we at page 2 yet?

Nowhere near it’s still early doors mate :wink: :wink:

leave him too it grass, just put him on the hitlist and hope you see him in a services,

It’s all good fun tonight what with this and the tractor and trailer carry on !