Overspeed on the digi tacho thing

Not only have I just got my first job as a C+E but also I have to get to grips with the digi card, my job means that pretty much everytime I drive the trailer is close to it’s maximum weight so that everytime there is a little down hill I speed up, I try to keep the wagon to the set 90kph as I am not one for blasting down hills to over take people only to make it half way and get stuck in the middle lane when everything levels out, anyway I drifted - I am noticing that even at 91/92kph my overspeed is flashing at me.

What does this actually mean, is it recorded and can I be shouted at for this by vosa or anyone

And how do I stop this from happening where I don’t have to watch the speedo for every second when I go down a hill?

I set the limiter to a slower speed so that I have more room to play with when the speed varies, but I am thinking that I am spending to much time with my eyes on the speedo and not on whats happening in front of me.

You can get an infringement for it, depends how rigorous your TM wants to be. The trucks I drive are set at 90 and you have to be driving at that speed for one minute before the overspeed warning happens. There are also some trucks where the limit is set higher, though I think it’s illegal to have it set too high (it’s done at the calibration centre, so nothing you can do to change it). The really annoying bit is that you have to press the button to stop the flashing and I reckon it’s bl**dy dangerous having to take your eyes off the road trying to find the button, especially in the dark.

it annoys me when I get an overspeed going downhill on a motorway at 56MPH, i have not broken any laws, it usually leads to an infringement, which some clerk who has no idea what he’s talking about, insists you sign. :unamused:

Overspeeds don’t matter and you can’t be told off for them as long as you don’t go over 60 mph which is the speed limit for a hgv on a motorway. The space between 56mph and 60mph is to give you chance to start breaking. If you’re lucky like me and have a hill hold feature on a scania with a retarder, you can set it to 60mph and it will break for you when you reach 60, not let you go above this speed and kick the cruise back in at 56mph, i’m sure other manufacturers have this feature as well, might be worth mentioning to the TM next time he’s buying wagons.

Overspeeds are not a legal offence

Company policy might have a different take which could result in a driver being dismissed if the driver has signed an agreement not to overspeed as part of their contract.

ebabes:
and can I be shouted at for this by vosa or anyone

shouted at by VOSA :question: hell that’ll be the least of your worries if VOSA are holding a BBQ :open_mouth: :open_mouth: hope you got some vaseline handy is all i’ll say :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :grimacing:

I’m joking, far as i am aware the digi tacho logs the top 3 over speeds over the 356 days and who was in it at the time and for how long they were overspeeding etc, so as long as you were not hitting 100mph for like 10 mins at a time which would suggest to vosa some dodgey goings on with the tacho - you’ll be o.k.

I get at least a dozen overspeeds a shift… Do I care? Do pigs fly?

scottishcruiser:

probably not because you lot are a law to yourselves :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

and yes pigs do fly - because the price of a pack of bacon has gone up at my local tesco :grimacing: :grimacing:

Silver_Surfer:
Overspeeds don’t matter and you can’t be told off for them as long as you don’t go over 60 mph which is the speed limit for a hgv on a motorway. The space between 56mph and 60mph is to give you chance to start breaking. If you’re lucky like me and have a hill hold feature on a scania with a retarder, you can set it to 60mph and it will break for you when you reach 60, not let you go above this speed and kick the cruise back in at 56mph, i’m sure other manufacturers have this feature as well, might be worth mentioning to the TM next time he’s buying wagons.

bullocks, you will get overspeed infringments for going above the max set speed of the vehicle for more than 30 secs, so if you truck is limited to 52mph and you do 56mph for more than 30 secs,you will have an overspeed recorded on your card

205:
you will get overspeed infringments for going above the max set speed of the vehicle for more than 30 secs, so if you truck is limited to 52mph and you do 56mph for more than 30 secs,you will have an overspeed recorded on your card

Can you produce a link to where it is written that doing that will earn the driver a penalty of some sort by the authorities please?

scottishcruiser:

Cruise Control:
and yes pigs do fly -

so they do…
:wink:

205:

Silver_Surfer:

bullocks, you will get overspeed infringments for going above the max set speed of the vehicle for more than 30 secs, so if you truck is limited to 52mph and you do 56mph for more than 30 secs,you will have an overspeed recorded on your card

Overspeed infringements don’t mean anything mate… You could have 50 overspeeds a day and as long as you don’t exceed 60mph you are not breaking any laws. The speed limit for trucks on the motorway is 60mph, end of.

The dumb little machine which you feed a card to each day regards it as an infringement, but that’s just overzealous programming. In reality, you won’t be in any trouble for going a few MPH over when going downhill. If you’ve got a dodgy limiter the dumb little machine will react in the same way, but in this case you will be in a lot of trouble :slight_smile:

Company policy is a different thing. If a company decided to sack you for downhill overspeeds then it’s because you’re deviating from the companies’ ideals but not breaking the law - the company may or may or not be aware of the legalities though. Either way, they’re probably not working for anyway!

What if you don’t press ok and let it flash the whole day, the when you eject press ok. Does this stop it from going on the card or is this another RDC tale ive been told :blush:

merc0447:
What if you don’t press ok and let it flash the whole day, the when you eject press ok. Does this stop it from going on the card or is this another RDC tale ive been told :blush:

that also applies when the digi tacho flashes “break” if you dont press o.k you can carry on and it wont record you havent had a break, we must of delivered to the same RDC merc0447 :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

merc0447:

I’ve never used a digi but i’ll take a guess that pressing the OK just stops the annoying flashing and the record gets put onto the card with or without pressing it

it will keep a record of the TEN(10) highest over speeds
and believe me, the COUNTRY where the speed limit is lower
will do you if the offence was committed in their country,
and they can check this by reading the data out ,

merc0447:

Ive also heard a similiar rumour that if you get more than 1 overpeeds in 1 day and press OK after each one it will register each one, but if you press OK before every break you take and/or prior to going on rest or ejecting the card then it will only register 1 overspeed as you have only clicked OK once even though you have done more than 1■■

Ive never bothered checking it up via the head or print outs as I cant be arsed but if anyone can enlighten me wether this is true or another Steady Eddie RDC rumour then go ahead.

Do pigs rest at night as dont see them when im on the road…? :laughing:

I find the easiest way to avoid these is to actually mentally note when your speed exceeds 90kmh - then press a stop watch - as long as you are back under 90 before the minute it doesn’t trigger an over speed
cheers
Steve

What speed is recorded as an overspeed? Is it the highest speed in any given overspeed or the speed you are doing at the moment you press the OK button?