Overspeed on the digi tacho thing

Cruise Control:
I’m joking, far as i am aware the digi tacho logs the top 3 over speeds over the 356 days and who was in it at the time and for how long they were overspeeding etc, so as long as you were not hitting 100mph for like 10 mins at a time which would suggest to vosa some dodgey goings on with the tacho - you’ll be o.k.

Glad Im not at ND anymore then, once got an overspeed of 80mph… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My motors alright but one of the other drivers was constantly going off at 56 which was a bit of a James Hunt when we decided the 54 miles an hour experiment was a nonsense and we went back to 56.

His went off about twenty times a day and as someone posted it distracts you from driving and could be dangerous.

Seemingly our main depot phoned a lot at first about them but our depot manager told them where to go (according to him) and we have never heard another thing.

Sure I read on here a Driver got done but a Judge laughed it out of court, how true that thread was is another matter or how true my dream was maybe. :laughing:

205:
bullocks, you will get overspeed infringments for going above the max set speed of the vehicle for more than 30 secs,

When you exceed the set limit for a specific duration you get an over speed WARNING not an infringement. A warning and an infringement are not the same thing.

It just depends on whether the TM/clerk wants to be a smarta** and just wants to get in a dig about any overspeed warnings. As mentioned, they are set when the limiter is calibrated and are purely an extra bit of cr*p that they can throw at the driver, without any legal standing behind it. If the TM has enough sense then when the trucks are recalibrated he’ll get the overspeed set a small margin above the limiter just to allow for instances like the OP’s. In the meantime I shouldn’t worry about it - if enough drivers get continual overspeeds then management might eventually get it through their skulls that something must be wrong in the system, rather than with the drivers.

Coffeeholic:

205:
bullocks, you will get overspeed infringments for going above the max set speed of the vehicle for more than 30 secs,

When you exceed the set limit for a specific duration you get an over speed WARNING not an infringement. A warning and an infringement are not the same thing.

true

but when your card is downloaded and analysed, then you will get the infringements like i have, from 3 different companies
i argued with all 3 that the limit was 60mph but they werent interested, told me not to exceed the max set speed of the vehicle or i would be getting more

ROG:

205:
you will get overspeed infringments for going above the max set speed of the vehicle for more than 30 secs, so if you truck is limited to 52mph and you do 56mph for more than 30 secs,you will have an overspeed recorded on your card

Can you produce a link to where it is written that doing that will earn the driver a penalty of some sort by the authorities please?

why

205:

Coffeeholic:

205:

true

but when your card is downloaded and analysed, then you will get the infringements like i have, from 3 different companies
i argued with all 3 that the limit was 60mph but they werent interested, told me not to exceed the max set speed of the vehicle or i would be getting more

Just because these companies are trumpets still doesn’t make it an infringement, it is still just a warning, unless it is company policy rather than a legal thing. I get loads of over speed warnings and have never received an infringement to sign for them from our analysis company and unless it was a company policy I would never sign one.

205:

ROG:

205:
you will get overspeed infringments for going above the max set speed of the vehicle for more than 30 secs, so if you truck is limited to 52mph and you do 56mph for more than 30 secs,you will have an overspeed recorded on your card

Can you produce a link to where it is written that doing that will earn the driver a penalty of some sort by the authorities please?

why

Because you stated an infringement would be given to the driver for doing so therefore it must be written somewhere

I got stopped by VOSA on the M6 (south) by Preston and they took a reading of my digi and all the other usual stuff licences etc went over the wagon trl for half an hour. New unit and trailer so no problems there. I was ZB myself due to the amount of overspeeds I’d had in that week and was wondering if I was going to receive any points or fines so I phoned VOSA directly. Bloke said as long as you dont exceed the max legal speed(regularly i.e your not from the emerald isle) there will be no enforcement from them, the rest of these infringments are in-house things and for your TM to deal with, so sign it, bin it!! :smiley:

Bit off topic but when I first started out I once put the card in ans set off before it had done its thing, straight away it came up with “driving without card!” :confused: took card out, no obvious damage or anything so I tried again “driving without card!” again!

:smiling_imp: cool, card’s gone ■■■■ - I can do what I want! Anyway, wherever I was going was a fair way away and my plan was to get there, tipped, have a breather and head home. Happily trundling along on my way home and all of a sudden the damned thing starts flashing! “driver 1 break 5h 38!” :open_mouth: :blush: Oops!

If you don’t know; next to the break/rest/poa symbol, when you first insert the card, is a solid black square - when your card’s been accepted or whatever it does, it gets an empty square on top of it and vaugly resembles a card :blush: Don’t set off until it’s done that, they dont seem too keen on it.

ROG:

205:

ROG:

205:

why

Because you stated an infringement would be given to the driver for doing so therefore it must be written somewhere

next time i get one to sign, i’ll take a copy an post it to ya

If the limiter on the unit is set at 50mph for example and you exceed it for over 30 sec you get an over speed and in which case an infringment. You are still within the legal speed limit though as long as you dont exceed 60mph, its a nonesense!

205:

ROG:

205:

ROG:

205:

why

next time i get one to sign, i’ll take a copy an post it to ya

Not some company thing - a legal one please
Thanks

Company policy may be one thing,but I have been led to believe that an offence has been committed if the vehicle will DRIVE over 90 kph,which is different to coasting which we all fall foul of several times a day at least.
When I did my digi course a couple of years ago,we asked the instructor the same question,and he said it was an offence to overspeed,but he said it with not much conviction as even he wasn’t really sure.
I try to keep my rig within limits,but we all know it’s bloody dificult,but I’ve never had an infringement notification yet.

Over speeds are set at one minute not 30 seconds
cheers
Steve

bestbooties:
Company policy may be one thing,but I have been led to believe that an offence has been committed if the vehicle will DRIVE over 90 kph,

Exactly. The limiter must prevent the vehicle being powered beyond the set limit, going over due to momentum is fine as long as you don’t go over 60 on a UK motorway.

It is all in the detail, infringements, offences, etc.

If you go into a transport yard or warehouse and do not walk properly between the yellow hatched lines or footprints on a walkway, you haven’t committed any offence, or any infringements. You may have breached a companies H&S policy or some other such nonsense.

Phrases like “got done” and having to sign an infringement for a non offence is also nonsense and is dreamt up by people without proper jobs :wink:

When I hear “VOSA said” I know it is going to be a new MMTM thread :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

VOSA said you have to take 45 mins break after 4.5 hours of accumulated driving and it has to be a 15 and a 30 min break :question: :confused: :confused: is this MMTM tell me this isnt true. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Cruise Control:

Wheel Nut:

VOSA said you have to take 45 mins break after 4.5 hours of accumulated driving and it has to be a 15 and a 30 min break :question: :confused: :confused: is this MMTM tell me this isnt true. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

VOSA didn’t say that originally, The EU did and as VOSA and the EU seem to be mates then I guess it is MMTM. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Getting an infringement from your company is one thing i have had these from sainsbury DHL etc, but dose anyone know if vosa or the coppers can do you for speeding if they check your digi card? has anyone ever been done for it resulting in points on licence?