Overspeed on Digi

My truck, like others, runs on quite a bit when heavy and very often I get the dash saying I’m speeding, then in a short while the Tacho start on at me too.

What do VOSA say about all these speeding infringements? 99% I keep it to 60/61 mph max by using the exhaust brake.

i too was wandering that so hopefully the man with the brains (coffee ) will be along soon.

On a motorway , not a problem …Forget about it .

I get the same, i wouldnt worry about too much as long as like you say keep it to 60, highway code says 60…

I think i read on here about same thing somewhere and cases got thrown out because of the (national) law on HGV speed limits :slight_smile:

I try not to get too many, as id end up running out of till roll :laughing:

Overspeed comes on all the time on mine, its a bloody pain in the arse… :imp: :imp:

what if I were to roll it to about 66 then got it straight back down again?

my truck is limited to 52mph. the overspeed limit exceeded will come on once i have exceeded 52mph for 1 minute.
when my digi data is analysed though it does not come up as an infrigement ,but even though i am not breaking the speed limit i thought exceeding the limited speed was an offence :question:

If you go over 60 mph for more than 1 minute, it will be recorded on you’re driver card as an over-speed, less than 1 minute and it just records 0 as the amount of over-speed time.

If for instance you go up to 66 but imediately reduce the speed to 60 or less it should record on the card as an over-speed of 0 minutes.

More than 1 minute and technically you’re commiting a speeding ofence, can’t really see anyong being prosecuted for a minute though.

There was a case posted on here recently where a driver reckoned he could prove he wasn’t speeding by the use of a tacho chart, aparently the court refused to accept the evindence, saying that a tachograph chart isn’t a legal document, would a court accept a driver card as a legal documant, who knows :unamused: but I think I would be arguing the case if at all possible.

Exceeding the limited speed is not an offence. In this country, the speed limit for HGVs on a motorway is 60MPH and that’s all that counts.

Steve-o:
My truck, like others, runs on quite a bit when heavy and very often I get the dash saying I’m speeding, then in a short while the Tacho start on at me too.

The warning doesn’t say you are speeding, it says Overspeed which isn’t the same thing.

Steve-o:
What do VOSA say about all these speeding infringements? 99% I keep it to 60/61 mph max by using the exhaust brake.

If you are only going up to 60 on the motorway then they won’t say anything about speeding infringements as none have occurred.

I make it my mission to get at least two of these warnings a day, note they are warnings not infringements, just so I have the potential for an argument if I am ever pulled up for this non existent offence by the firm or the analysis people. In my vehicle the warning comes up if I exceed 90km/ph for a minute but as long as I keep it below 96km/ph (60mph) and I am on the motorway in the UK no offence has been committed. So far these twice daily events have not been flagged by the analysis people.

But I was told, that tachograph data cannot be used to prosecute you for speeding until you was caught on the spot. Isn’t it true?

That’s is even one of questions in Manpower driver assesment test…

orys:
But I was told, that tachograph data cannot be used to prosecute you for speeding until you was caught on the spot. Isn’t it true?

Technically true. Because offences of speeding require ‘corroboration’. Corroboration essentially entails, in simple terms, someone (which in legal terms is deemed to be a Police Officer) forming an opinion that an offence is being committed, and then corroborating that opinion by other means, whether by the use of a speedometer (calibrated or otherwise), in the case of a following check, or a Vascar device, a hand held detection device, or the opinion of another Police Officer observing the vehicle travelling along the same stretch of road.

If two Police Officers are standing in the same vicinity, and both, independently, form the opinion that a vehicle was exceeding the speed limit for the road, then the driver can be, and, on a number of occasions, has been, successfully prosecuted.

When we get into the realms of cameras, then the rules change slightly. The primary evidence is, obviously the camera, but there is also corroborating evidence concerning road marking/calibration testing/H.O. certification, etc.

Whilst a tachograph chart might accurately indicate your speed, it doesn’t actually prove that you were a ‘road’. You could have been on an airfield or other private complex. Unlikely, but possible. Hence the need for ‘corroboration’.

One of the companies I drive for at the moment are OK with overspeed, so long as you don’t exceed 100Kph. If you do it becomes an infringement.

T_Trev:
One of the companies I drive for at the moment are OK with overspeed, so long as you don’t exceed 100Kph. If you do it becomes an infringement.

That makes sense, at 100Kph you are 2.5 miles over the national speed limit for a truck anyway.

Not really interested in ‘short periods’ of upto 100 km/h. However, would be interested in say 20 minutes of above 90 km/h. Although, below the maximum speed limit for an HGV on a Motorway, that period of time suggests that either the speed limiter is defective or has been interfered with. Still, with congestion on the road network as it is, I guess 20 minutes above 90 is pretty unlikely :smiley:
Please don’t use the excuse that you were going downhill for 20 minutes :open_mouth: , we’ve all heard the excuse before and didn’t believe it first time round.

Thanks, Krankee :wink:

Assuming you have a T reg 7t truck that is NOT limited and has an analogue tacho. Are you as the driver allowed to do 70mph or should one travel at 56 by law? :unamused: :unamused: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

Guess what I’m driving for the next 3 months :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Saratoga:
Assuming you have a T reg 7t truck that is NOT limited and has an analogue tacho. Are you as the driver allowed to do 70mph or should one travel at 56 by law?

There is no law which says you have to travel at 56 mph on any road in this country. Unless of course they bungnd in a speed restriction where the signs were marked up 56 but that isn’t going to happen. :smiley:

Thank you Mr Coffeeholic Sah :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Apparently speed limits are about to be lowered to the continental equivalent anyway.

zetacontrols.com/speed_limit … ation.html

Motorway speed limits
It is likely, once all the changes to vehicles requiring road speed limiters have taken place (after 1 January 2008), the national motorway speed limit for goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes and buses will be lowered.
Restricting all vehicles in these classes to the same speed limit will reduce any competitive advantage of older vehicles (which are not required to have speed limiters).

For more information relating to regulatory impact of the Road Speed Limiter Legislation follow this link to The Department of Transport consultation document.