Overspeed on Digi

Ok this is very interesting as i have had these come back to me as infringments which they ask me to sign for.

YES the speed llimit is 60mph 100kmh(ish)

But (according to wincanton hobnobs) it is an infringment under the construction and use law.

The vehicle is restricted to 56mph and to drive beyound that speed then that is beyond its “contructed purpose”/“contrsucted speed”

While i think its a load of sh-one-tea as our speed limit is 60mph and therefore we are entitled to drive to that speed, but this new secret law is what we all have to confide by.

IBEAT COFFEE ON A TACHO RELATED SUBJECT AND I’M NOW SMUG LOL

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/closed/speedlimiterconsult/

AND

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/newsandevents/pressreleases/2006pressreleases/28-12-06speedlimiterlegislation.htm

Thank you i’m here all week

Thank you Thank you

Spacemonkeypg:
Ok this is very interesting as i have had these come back to me as infringments which they ask me to sign for.

YES the speed llimit is 60mph 100kmh(ish)

But (according to wincanton hobnobs) it is an infringment under the construction and use law.

The vehicle is restricted to 56mph and to drive beyound that speed then that is beyond its “contructed purpose”/“contrsucted speed”

While i think its a load of sh-one-tea as our speed limit is 60mph and therefore we are entitled to drive to that speed, but this new secret law is what we all have to confide by.

IBEAT COFFEE ON A TACHO RELATED SUBJECT AND I’M NOW SMUG LOL

Two things come to mind.

1. Your firm need to get a different analysis company as the ones you have are talking out their arse and don’t appear to be very good. :unamused: :unamused: :wink:

2. If you sign for these supposed ‘infringements’ then you are an idiot as you are singing to agree to an offence you haven’t committed and no one in their right mind should put pen to paper to acknowledge something they haven’t done. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: The exception to this would be if it was company policy to not exceed 56 mph under any circumstances and you are signing for infringing company policy. Your company policy does not apply nationwide to all drivers.

What you are referring to under C&U law is that the speed limiter must prevent the truck being powered, or if you prefer driven, beyond the limited speed. If the truck can be powered beyond the limited speed the limiter is defective and this would be a C&U offence, although not one for the tacho analysis people to give you an infringement for. There is no regulation that prevents the truck rolling beyond the limited speed and this would only be an offence if the truck, on the motorway, exceeded the UK national speed limit of 60 mph. I got my vehicle up to 96 km/ph today on the M25 but from 89 km/ph it was no longer being powered, although there is a little trick you can do with the automatic DAF’s which allow you to apply power for short bursts beyond the limited speed, it was simply the gradient and momentum of the vehicle that took it beyond the limited speed up to the national speed limit.

If the people who carry out the analysis of your records are getting something as basic as this wrong I would be very concerned over what else are they getting wrong. Possibly some of the other non basic stuff I have seen analysis companies get wrong in the past such as split or interrupted daily rest?

If you have a limiter that limits speed to say 56mph and run over down a hill for example this can be seen as as not in control of the vehicle read about someone being prosecuted for this a few years back.

Some one please correct me if i am wrong
but does it not show a + or - 5kmh sign on the litte
bit of paper stateing the vehicle is speed restricted■■?

In the past limiters were ‘set at 85 kph’ with a 5 kph plus or minus tolerance but the new rules are that it must be set in such a way that the powered speed cannot exceed 90 kph. As for this 60 mph debate i look at it this way. If you happen to be driving a non speed limited vehicle, observe the national speed limits. If you vehicle has a speed limiter then the eu speed limits apply, any infringements recorded by the new digital tacho’s.

The card will only record the "“10"” highest (FASTEST) speeds
which acctivate the overspeed function, is what we have been told,■■

:sunglasses: Coffeeholic… You Da Man !! :sunglasses:

daveb0789:
If you vehicle has a speed limiter then the eu speed limits apply.

Rubbish, there is no such thing as EU speed limits, different countries have different limits. Whether you are driving a limited vehicle or not makes not a bit of difference to the UK national speed limit for trucks, which is until the proposed changes go through 60 mph. Have you ever seen a national speed limit sign with an additional plate advising the limit is lower for limited vehicles? Have you seen this lower limit in the Highway Code or any other official document detailing the various UK speed limits? Thought not. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Well in all other EU countries (except the UK) they all use kph and the maximum speed limit for an HGV just happens to be 90 kph. Often it is less.

Have you ever seen a national speed limit sign with an additional plate advising the limit is lower for limited vehicles

Then there should be two limits on a single national road then 60mph for cars then 40 under that for HGV’S?

There are such things as EU speed restriction hence 90kmph

Spacemonkeypg:

Have you ever seen a national speed limit sign with an additional plate advising the limit is lower for limited vehicles

Then there should be two limits on a single national road then 60mph for cars then 40 under that for HGV’S?

No, as most people know the national speed limit sign means the national limit for that type of road for the type of vehicle you are driving, no additional plates are needed on that. If a lower limit was imposed for a particular variant of vehicle, a limited truck for instance, there would need to be an additional sign informing of this limit as the normal national speed limit would then not apply to those vehicles.

Spacemonkeypg:
There are such things as EU speed restriction hence 90kmph

Speed restrictions are set by each member state, there is no such thing as an EU speed limit. The motorway limit varies from country to country and you can legally do the limit for the country you are in and if that is more than 90 then you can do it. Whatever a limiter is set to does not become the national motorway speed limit for that country, it is simply the speed past which the truck cannot be powered.

fatles:
If you have a limiter that limits speed to say 56mph and run over down a hill for example this can be seen as as not in control of the vehicle read about someone being prosecuted for this a few years back.

If that were the case no one could ever read the road ahead, lift of the right pedal and use the vehicle momentum and gradient to maintain or increase speed, a recognised way of fuel saving and making progress, or they will be prosecuted… That’s all the limiter does in effect, lift of the pedal. The Eco-Roll feature in a Volvo i-shift, and now available from Mercedes as well I believe, takes that a step further and drops the box into neutral. If that is not being in control of the vehicle, and could lead to a prosecution, than trucks fitted with the Eco-Roll system would never have got type approval and would not be on the road.