Overnighting in Swindon

does anyone have any recommendations where to park overnight in Swindon? I know most of the industrial estates clamp now, I would prefer not a layby.

I thought clamping was illegal.

redboxer850:

Apart from DVLA

You can spend one of the last nights at Swindon Truckstop which closes I believe on the 11th. There are a few laybys on the A420 and the A419, not sure if they’re popular with diesel fairies though. Large layby on the A361 next to B and Q DC (used to be the one with the old bus cafe in it).

Truckstop shut at weekends with EE drivers for company but the Sainsbury shop is a one minute walk to buy food and drink.
There is a large family pub that has good food over the foot bridge on the big roundabout.
Failing that, get a bus or taxi to town for a good Indian or Chinese restaurant then Grab a Granny night at Weatherspoons.
It is walkable to town, about two miles or more, free parking at truck stop, if nobody there.

Thanks wardaddy. I’ve seen the enforcement vans around the industrial estates at night, I don’t know if there would be a problem parking there overnight, I suppose as long as there is no paint you are within your rights to park there, but I probably wouldn’t risk it, don’t need the fine :frowning:

jbaz73:
does anyone have any recommendations where to park overnight in Swindon? I know most of the industrial estates clamp now, I would prefer not a layby.

Can’t you use the force Yoda?

Seriously though, I thought there bits round Dorcan that weren’t private roads?

About 2 miles up the A420 you’ll see bridge height signs, just before the bridge on the left there’s a chunk of waste ground, I’ve parked there recently with no hassle. You can get a wee bit off the road so don’t get rocked about too bad.

Depending on how far you can go, you can get peace and quiet in White Horse Business Park at Stanford in the Vale. Big bit of waste ground in it.14 miles from the turn off to the A420, so a wee bit out the way. Short walk to the pub and a Co-Op.

A.

There are a couple of places,depends on what you are looking for.
Just off the A419,Swindon north/Blunsdon.Near the dog track/speedway stadium.
Turnpike lane,part of the old main rd near the Cold Harbour pub.
Gateway North,park near the old Motorola building.
Harvester pub,Aldi nearby.
Dont tell anybody though :wink: :slight_smile:

Suedehead:

What about the Orbital retail park mate, ASDA car park? McRubbish are in there and a good Toby Carvery 5 minutes from there.

Wardaddy:

Suedehead:

What about the Orbital retail park mate, ASDA car park? McRubbish are in there and a good Toby Carvery 5 minutes from there.

Probably get away with it if you drive one of them lickle sprinters with a sleeper pod.
Toby Carvery . . . i would rather eat at Swindon truckstop.
Have seen a couple of lorries parking at the footie ground recently,plenty of chippys and pubs nearby.
Take no notice of the 30cwt weight limit sign. :slight_smile:

chelworth ind est just outside cricklade,if you get there before the European drivers,same as the layby outside B&Q,this is not a dig at euro drivers as they need to park up as well,they just seem to beat others to the spaces,luck of the draw I suppose,dont affect me though as I am a day man,home every night

bobbya:

redboxer850:

Apart from DVLA

DVLA clamping? I’ve never heard of this before, we all know the real reason but what is the official one, and what actual harm are you doing parking on an ind est ffs :unamused:

Faraday road just of the A419 go past royal mail n there is a side road dead quiet often stop there dead quiet n never any deisel faries

pompeymark:
Faraday road just of the A419 go past royal mail n there is a side road dead quiet often stop there dead quiet n never any deisel faries

Only problem with putting out your own quiet parking places, especially to the public domain, is they become quiet no longer…just saying. :bulb:
I’m always reluctant to give out my ‘secret’ type parking places, but have PMd one or two on here, but only to a select few in the past.

Yeah but y hide ur safe places we all need help every once in a while if we all lived like that what a horrid place it wud be.

robroy:

bobbya:

redboxer850:

Apart from DVLA

DVLA clamping? I’ve never heard of this before, we all know the real reason but what is the official one, and what actual harm are you doing parking on an ind est ffs :unamused:

Yellow DVLA clamps= no road tax or whatever you want to call it.

Wardaddy:
You can spend one of the last nights at Swindon Truckstop which closes I believe on the 11th. There are a few laybys on the A420 and the A419, not sure if they’re popular with diesel fairies though. Large layby on the A361 next to B and Q DC (used to be the one with the old bus cafe in it).

wouldnt park in the layby next too b&q as one of ours got it’s fuel taken and tail lights off the trailer. reckon it was one of the ee trucks that did it

scotstrucker:

Wardaddy:

wouldnt park in the layby next too b&q as one of ours got it’s fuel taken and tail lights off the trailer. reckon it was one of the ee trucks that did it

Did you see the EE driver nick the fuel or are all foreign drivers thieves in your opinion.
How far do you go with this theory?
Hey it was maybe Truckyboy he drives a Bulgarian regd truck I believe, or is your predjudicial view line drawn when it comes to Brit drivers on foreign trucks, or maybe they also become thieves under foreign plates do they?

:unamused: :unamused:
Not having a go entirely mate, just trying to redress the balance, …having been on the receiving end of all this type of bull ■■■■ in the past. :bulb:

robroy:

scotstrucker:

Wardaddy:

Did you see the EE driver nick the fuel or are all foreign drivers thieves in your opinion.
How far do you go with this theory?
Hey it was maybe Truckyboy he drives a Bulgarian regd truck I believe, or is your predjudicial view line drawn when it comes to Brit drivers on foreign trucks, or maybe they also become thieves under foreign plates do they?

:unamused: :unamused:

nope but by luck 1 of the b&q cctv cameras did, unfortunately the scania truck (confirmed to the police to be Romanian reg by a Bulgarian driver parked in the same layby) had left by the time our Lithuanian driver discovered it. the police have told the boss that there is not allot they can do as cant see number plate but cctv shows the driver of the scania siphon the fuel out of ours into containers that the thief puts in his side lockers on the trailer, it also shows him/her go to the rear of our trailer and emerge 10 minutes later with two objects that are placed in the side locker. this was done at 02.30 till 03.15 am the truck left 10 minutes later.
So that whether the drivers from the ee or not is not known but probably will be