Overnighting in Europe

One of the department heads at my company is currently considering purchasing a new drill rig from a company in Italy, he has had the bright idea about sending our transport (me) to collect it rather than have it brought over.

The thing is my vehicle is not equipped with a sleeper cab, this poses the problem of overnight stops. Whilst on one hand I am thinking it is a daft idea, probable non starter and too complex. On the other hand it is just the sort of daft idea that actually happens, and to be honest would be a good experience and a break from the norm.

Is this a viable proposition, are there Travelodge type motels attached to rest areas where the vehicle could be securely parked. Or if it does go any further should I just tell them not to be so daft.

8wheels, this is not a problem,depending which way u r going to Italy. If ur going through France look out for Formule1, these are normally cheap and basic but adequate about 29euro (i think) you will see these advertised on side of motorway. Next up from these is Etap 40.00euro both have no problem with truck parking. If u r going Germany/Austria look out for Autohofs these are signposted off motorway and most of these have motels. Swiss and Austria a bit pricey but if u r not paying it dont matter. Of course if you run down national roads you can find some bargain b+b’s. In germany you can find some good accomodation for 10euros if you look. Hope this has been of some help to you. Have a good trip and try and get th boss to give u money up front…

Thanks for the info Ben9

I can’t believe that they will really send me, as it will take my vehicle out of circulation for quite a while, bearing in mind that this vehicle is responsible for distribution of materials and some machinery to our sites on its own.

However once I got sent from Essex down to Newhaven to collect 12t sand for Hastings and then back empty, because Travis has screwed up. Surely a local haulier could have done it cheaper, or even got Jewsons or anoher merchant to take it direct, it’d probably have cost a few quid more for the sand but less than the £180 fuel + my wages for the day. So now you understand my concern.

I would never take a job doing regular nights out or tramping as I would hate to be away from my children for any length of time, however this would probably be a once only opportunity and would be good to have done it once.

How would I pay for my fuel, is Allstar accepted in Europe or would I have to fill up on Visa and claim it back?

Not sure how big the drilling rig you are collecting, but if you are running Convoi Exceptional than your pilot car will be able to find the motels and stops. If you are running with pilot cars you will not be allowed on motorways and cannot drive in France at night, Belgium and Germany during the day. There are a lot of Motels on the service areas if you can run on the motorways at reasonable prices.

You might find that if you are collecting a new machine from the supplier they will treat you like royalty anyway and put you in a hotel at least for one night

Check the dimensions of the machine and someone will be able to help with routes

I dont think Allstar is accepted in Europe on a wide basis. A Visa Card will pay for peages and fuel but you would be probably better with a thick wad of cash too.

Has your company got a international o licence??

Not sure how big the drilling rig you are collecting

It would be something similar in size to this one, which is about 15t and fits nicely on my 8 wheeler. Not sure how high it’d be though the Klemm in the picture stands 15’ high when loaded, would this be a problem?

Has your company got a international o licence??

Well… we often go to the Isle of Wight, is that International? :laughing:

It is a point that I have highlighted, they might upgrade it as they have talked about going for contracts in France.

At 15’ I reckon you could be in the realms of Convoi Exceptional. Normal Height in Europe is 4.0 metre. 13’1 although France are more relaxed. A good pilot would take you around all the bridges and tunnels, That is why they are paid so well.

Or you could take your boss out with his car and let him guide you home and pay for your hotel and fuel :smiley:

It would cause you problems coming through Swiss though.

If you are carrying your own machine you shouldn’t need an International O licence as it is not for hire or reward.

Someone clever will be along soon :stuck_out_tongue:

IF your firm thinks about it the best way would be to have it delivered
as all problems of the journey will be solved by the persons bringing your new equipment into this country, If they are still set on picking it up themselves .Then the best method of transport would be a step-side open trailer which with the low wheels should bring it under the 4.00 mark hopefully,the other problem is that from July–September is the holiday season in Europe and you will be haveing restrictions,also if you come through SWISS as WheelNut said you can not usethe tunnels when you are over4.00 ,Take the easy route let them deliver the rig to your firm,

Wheel Nut:
Someone clever will be along soon :stuck_out_tongue:

No but doesn’t the TM need an International CPC?

Or is that just me believing my own sales pitch when I went for the TM job at Courtauld’s back in '85? :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

although you’d get away in france at 4.57m WITH a route and a pilot, italy you definitely would not - max overall height ANY route (Frejus, Blanc, Brenner, the Vent) out of italy is 4.35m never mind the actual roads inside the country :unamused:

Looks like a job for Richard Long or Hoggsped then :stuck_out_tongue:

You are right , as then they can deal with any problems ,that crop up better
due to the firms experience:

EM Rogers, Richard Long BV and RTH Lubbers UK Ltd can deal with this. They are usually running to Italy

oi Betz and Wheelnut - no swearing on here please - you should know better Malc, Richard hchtpouf (spit) Long? :wink: :laughing:

jj72:
oi Betz and Wheelnut - no swearing on here please - you should know better Malc, Richard hchtpouf (spit) Long? :wink: :laughing:

Whats the problem there :question: I take it you’ve had a bad experience with him :question:

jj72:

I did edit my post before I sent it. Originally I had written HC Wilson and Brit European :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to do a trip like that, I thrive on problems, but 1/2 metre overheight is more than I can cope with.

This is looking like a non starter, to be honest the height issue had never really been considered. Although it is fairly tall at 15’ we have relatively few problems lugging it around the UK. Its going from Sevenoaks to Oxford in the morning, don’t even need to think twice about it. I was surprised that it might fall under Convoi Exceptionale but understand re the tunnels etc. The machine in question is slightly different to the Klemm, it is more like one of the larger CFA rigs that we have only in smaller scale, perhaps it would sit lower. I would have to find out more about it if this became an issue. Whatever happens I will be the one to shift it around over here.

Maybe I should keep quiet just for the amusement of being able to ring up and explain it is too big for the tunnel and I’ll have to come back empty. :laughing:

If we do buy this and do not bring it back, the haulage will be dealt with by the UK agents for the manufacturer. I was at their yard a couple of weeks ago and an Italian Scania with a lowloader trailer turned up with 40t CFA rig.

Many thanks for all the info, if this does get past the starting blocks I shall probably have stack of questions. Might get some good pics though.

rob c - they’re a bunch of tossers (firm not drivers) - my personal opinion :sunglasses:

malc, erm you did many trips running nearly a metre overheight through france and although you didn’t know it you were fully responsible as 2nd man :wink: :laughing:

should have a good trip coming up in autumn - load on one of the western isles (long wide and high) ship back to mainland, run to aberdeen, ship to lerwick and from lerwick ship to bergen in norway to tip out, let me know if you fancy a break from the barrels by then? :open_mouth:

ANOTHER fly in the ointment…

In your photo 8wheels, it looks like the machine you have loaded sticks out of the back quite a bit. In Italy you are allowed exactly 0 rear overhang. I know you have said that the one you might be collecting isn’t exactly he same machine.

You will have to find out not only how high that new machine will be when loaded on your truck, but also how long it is, and figure out if it will overhang at all. If it isn’t possible to fit it into the outside dimensions of your wagon you will need Convoi Exceptionel for the overhang too.

It definitely looks your firms best bet is an outside contractor.