Overnighting in Europe

When I transport that rig now I move the mast forward, so that the top of the mast is directly above the ramps, and the foot by the crane.

It is another useful piece of info though, not sure if it would be a problem on the other as I think the mast is the same length.

Thanks for the info though. I am surprised that these rules are so strict over there, usually it is us who have to jump through hoops whilst everyone else in Europe seems to do their own thing.

It makes a bit of sense now when I see European Magnums, XF’s and FH’s with tiny little wheels, I had never twigged that it was to keep the height so low, just assumed it was a high cube thing.

8wheels:
Thanks for the info though. I am surprised that these rules are so strict over there, usually it is us who have to jump through hoops whilst everyone else in Europe seems to do their own thing.

If you are an UK registered truck, they are even stricter!!! All of Europes police forces see us a way of boosting their bank balances.

can’t you just fly to italy and drive the machine back :question: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have taken a look at the two tunnel sites here

http://www.tunneldefrejus.com

and they show only prices for lorries up to 4.30M ; If you are picking it up your self and you are going to use a step-side trailer,try putting your old rig onthe
step-side trailer to find out the height and if there is a over hang,
Do not forget you will need more chains and straps and also wooden chocks
to ensure that the rig is well secured,It,s better to use too much as not enough as the fines for a insecure load are not small fines,

If this will fit on the 8 wheeler and comply with height & width regs, then extra chains, ratchets, straps, rope and all that sort of stuff is no problem. I carry tons of load securing equipment and like to make sure stuff is strapped down from every which way. It only takes a minute to put an extra ■■■■■■■■ something, a lot longer if something moves and needs resecuring or worse falls off and causes an accident. Straps etc do no good in the toolbox.

If it wont fit on the 8 wheeler (which I doubt it will) that will be end of my problem, and down to the manufacturer and their agent to arrange.

I am half hoping it will fit and I can go, but the other half is thinking AGRO.

The trip down will be good,but the coming back will be stormy… :laughing:

You’ve no chance on the back of your 8 legger because of the height. If you’re gonna do it yourself you need to get hold of an artic and low loader trailer, then it’ll be low enough to bring back (and also solve any overhang problems).

:bulb:

Maybe you can ride shotgun as technician…?

if its own account you dont need international o licence

surely the top piece could be taken off to get height down

jj72:
rob c - they’re a bunch of [zb] (firm not drivers) - my personal opinion :sunglasses:

malc, erm you did many trips running nearly a metre overheight through france and although you didn’t know it you were fully responsible as 2nd man :wink: :laughing:

should have a good trip coming up in autumn - load on one of the western isles (long wide and high) ship back to mainland, run to aberdeen, ship to lerwick and from lerwick ship to bergen in norway to tip out, let me know if you fancy a break from the barrels by then? :open_mouth:

You never know, It could get me out of this heat. A cool wind blowing up the trossachs as I head for the Western Isles :stuck_out_tongue:

You will have to let me know and I might take a holiday :stuck_out_tongue:

I met a Norwegian driver on the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry. He was on his way to Barcelona with a high load. The route he had to take was Norway to ,I think Scotland on a ferry ?;down thru England & ferry to Spain…
Hate this memory thing. It could have been the Plymouth - Santander ferry…?