Overnight & Early Mornings

Hi Folks

Now, I know it is the norm for trucks to go out here overnight or early (ie 3am) so I’d like to find out how you structure your rests and driving over this?

I am doing an increasing amount of either early starts or over night runs where I usually find out the day before at 5pm what the run is! Needless to say I end up having to stop for at least 1 20 minute kip on the way, even if it just a 3 hour run, or even a rest when I get to the site before working there… The latter option is often used in our company as it is but I’d like your inputs please :slight_smile:

Also of any methods for staying alert (that’s alert not a lert! :laughing: ) I’ve finally heard from another drive that getting your hand wet out of the window when its raining and rubbing it over your face (which stuffs me up as I wear glasses :open_mouth: ) helps…

So, er, TIA :slight_smile:

Personnaly i’m a night owl anyway… If i’m on days I still stay awake all night, just the way I am…

I can onlt suggest the usual… Heaters Down, windows open, STRONG coffee…

Bouncy wake-up music… played loud…

Just jumping out of the cab for a tea or wee is usually enuf to re-waken you (a wee further away than the back wheel… well for us girls atleast… :wink: )

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Yes, thanks for that :wink:

Radio’s is something our trucks don’t have so I’ve got a walkman for that. Seems to do the job on that side. Heaters I have off anyway or ond “cool” unless I’ve got no choice :frowning: Windows occasionally, and time to start taking coffee again.

I’ve tried ice-cold water (usually with the icecube still in it!) and that also helps…

Thanks

smeserver:
Also of any methods for staying alert (that’s alert not a lert! :laughing: ) I’ve finally heard from another drive that getting your hand wet out of the window when its raining and rubbing it over your face (which stuffs me up as I wear glasses :open_mouth: ) helps…

So, er, TIA :slight_smile:

Sorry to say it but the only cure for this is to stop and sleep! If you are needing to resort to any sort of stay awake tactics then the last thing you should be doing is driving a LGV!

Pull up have a kip then carry on, Far too many people have killed themselves (and worst others) because they were to tired to drive!

One of the other drivers at the new company I am now working for, (Recovery,) was saying he was taken off driving, for a rest day after doing a lot of unsocial hours.
The comment made to him by the boss being “I don’t want you righting off my truck by falling asleep.”
He also said take breaks as they do check, we have sat tracking fitted & also run with a tacho in the head, & they do check for safe running.

Our firm starts from midnight onwards. You get used to it after a while, but my advice is to park up and rest if you are tired. Sod the booking time your life and that of other road users is more important. Our boss tries to moan but at the end of the day you are responsible as the driver, not him.

For me the hardest part of being a tramper is in the summer when you have no choice but to park up mid afternoon and the temp is hot, all so you can do an early start.

Hope this helps, and take a rest :bulb:

Martin

Baby Wipes are very cooling when wiped over your face. Wake you up a treat. Also they are as good at cleaning hands, steering wheels and other surfaces as they are at cleaniong babys bums :open_mouth: :laughing: .

They are no good at cleaning windows and the like though, they leave a lot of streaks.

Thank you for all your comments. I have been before adopting the approach of stopping for rests on the way, and if I am doing more than 4 hours driving away from base I’ll add extra time to stop for a rest.

Our company doesn’t as such use tachographs but when I reach the job I do other work there as well (usually 8-12 hours) before heading back. And the return journey I usually take longer anyway because I will stop for a rest…