Overgrown Roadside Vegetation

There is a lot of the roadside vegetation, even trees that need cutting back at least a foot from the edge of the road, even in some towns, let along rural roads. There are many places where you have to go over the middle of the road to avoid taking your nearside mirrors off, unncessarily.
Isn’t it the duty of the land owner to do as such ? keep the vegetation from growing into the public highway ?
I will try and get a photo ( next time I go that way) of one place I know where there is a 30 speed limit sign buried approx six feet in the over growing roadside vegetation

I have seen reports in the paper about residents complaining to their council for cutting too much and the wild life gets affected, what with the financial cut backs, i have noticed less hedge and foliage cutting, as for farmers being responsible for hedges on a public road, i am not sure how they stand legaly.

As far as I know it’s down to the (cash strapped) council to cut the trees back.

Its the responsibility of the agency responsible for that road, Council, Amey…there’s also restrictions on when you cut the growth so as not to disturb nesting birds FFS :unamused:

dont know if this is gospel but i was told this by a old council roadworker that all vegitation should be no closer than 17 inches to the edge of the road. now i say again i dont know how true that is because the guy that told me is 76 years old

this is getting ridiculous.
drivers nowadays know nowt.
in my day, every driver worth his salt would carry a spare goat. :laughing:

:slight_smile:

I am a local councillor…And we are currently trying to trace the owner of a row of trees on a bit of road in our district, as they are ultimately responsible for trimming them back. Until the owner has been traced, there is little anyone can do. If the owner is traced, they can be given a notice to prune the trees, if they do not do this and it is considered a danger, the council will then prune them and pass the bill to the landowner. Tracing a legal owner to the land is not always easy though.

att:
I am a local councillor…And we are currently trying to trace the owner of a row of trees on a bit of road in our district, as they are ultimately responsible for trimming them back. Until the owner has been traced, there is little anyone can do. If the owner is traced, they can be given a notice to prune the trees, if they do not do this and it is considered a danger, the council will then prune them and pass the bill to the landowner. Tracing a legal owner to the land is not always easy though.

i’d try the land registry.

Apart from damage to nearside mirrors, when you clip a branch of substantial size, your instinct is to swerve out slightly. This is extremely dangerous when dealing with an oncoming vehicle. I’ve been in the situation where I’ve had to come to a stop when I’ve met a car on a narrow overgrown road only to be greeted my mr or mrs car driver looking up at me wondering why I’m so far over on their side even though my mirrors are in the bushes. A farmer recently trimmed his hedges on a regular run we do and it’s amazing how much extra room it adds to the width of the road.

You cant beat a nicely trimmed bush.

Due to the wet summer there has been a lot more growth on hedges and trees.Its the landowners responsibility to cut them back.If you break something,take a photo of it at the scene and claim of the owner of the offending hedge etc.

att:

Good luck with that :wink: I have been a parish councillor and it’s easy enough to get letters written to tree owners, but it’s not as easy to get the county council to actually cut the trees back because they have very little chance of actually getting paid by the tree owner!

Wet summer spending cuts, some of the greenery has started to obscure road signs (legal issue) and some roundabouts are so overgrown it’s impossible to see traffic coming.

all you need is to tour the lanes with this
turn the sound up :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=I3D4FN5c … ure=relmfu

d4c24a:
all you need is to tour the lanes with this
turn the sound up :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=I3D4FN5c … ure=relmfu

Kin ell, I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near that :open_mouth:

I all ways thought that the council own the 1st 3ft of verge from the kerb, as that is the amount they grass cut, also if you place a poster near the highway in certain places they rip it down as they claim its thier land, around here some signs are grown over, including speed limits, so what happens if you get a ticket if you can’t see the sign, blame the council?. When I worked on a farm we where told to remove any dangerous over hanging branches or get billed for the privilage of them doing it.

Denis F:

att:

Good luck with that :wink: I have been a parish councillor and it’s easy enough to get letters written to tree owners, but it’s not as easy to get the county council to actually cut the trees back because they have very little chance of actually getting paid by the tree owner!

:laughing: Tell me about it!
I cannot believe the amount of red tape involved for the most petty of things :open_mouth: But then, I suppose when you are dealing with people, it has to be that way, as people are the most petty of things in the whole universe :laughing:
I don`t think I will last long in this role…

don’t fprget you need a license to drop a tree over a certain size, how the ■■■■ anything gets done in this bloody country I have no idea :imp:

limeyphil:

att:

i’d try the land registry.

You make it sound like they were fly tipped - appeared overnight! :smiley: