Over 45s medical

I have a query Im hoping that one of you gurus can help me with please.
My LGV expires on the 11/07/2012 (45 on the 12th) but I will not be in the UK when
Im required to have a medical.

I have checked online and form D4 is valid for 4 months from the date of the medical but
you can only apply for renewal 3 months before the expiry date (11/07/2012).

I will be leaving the UK to go back to Asia and then onto New Zealand in the next few weeks
and hope to leave the completed form for my Mummy to post to the DVLA.

My query is do I only need the completed D4 to get the renewal?

My photo is valid till 2015 so that does not need updating yet.
Also I have 3 points that have expired will they be removed or do I need a separate form
for that?
I have calculated the dates and I can take the medical before I leave and then submit the forms to satisfy the 3 month application limit but I would just like to be sure that because
Im submitting the forms before I receive them from the DVLA,that Im sending all the
info they require.

If anyone can help me avoid any potential pitfalls in this plan that would be great.
I will also make sure to have front and back photocopies of both parts of my licence.

Cheers Paul

@ oatcake1967

When you get a reminder from the DVLA as well as form D4 it will contain form D47P (LGV entitlement renewal form), as you won’t be in the country when the reminder arrives you can use form D2 to apply for renewal of the LGV entitlement.

I can’t find an on-line form D2 but you can apply for one here

If the points on your license are eligible for removal they should be automatically removed so no need to complete any other forms.

If you wish to contact the DVLA the contact details are here.

Thanks Tacograph I have requested a D2 from the link.
Cheers

oatcake1967:
Thanks Tacograph I have requested a D2 from the link.
Cheers

You’re welcome :wink:

Interesting, I thought I had my medical at 50 and then again at 55 which was just before Xmas.

miketdt:
Interesting, I thought I had my medical at 50 and then again at 55 which was just before Xmas.

To keep your LGV entitlement you need to have a medical the next time your license expires after your 45th birthday then every 5 years.

Medical information (PDF file)

DT@Leightonhaul:
Guys many many thanx for all your replys & advice,ROG, WTF? how after 19,000 + posts can u rmbr the post i sent after passing me cat c. As it happens me entitlement doesn’t expire till sept 2013

Tis Magic Maestro :laughing:

Does your wife still go Clubbin?

I am 45 today and ,as i understand required to take a medical if i want to carry on driving(feel free to correct me if i’m not 100% accurate.At the moment i am working in cyprus but will be returning to work late oct/early nov,where do i stand with regard to the medical requirements■■? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Firstly I’d check on your photocard that your entitlement has actually expired as, depending on your last medical, it may not have.

Look on the back of your licence, next to your HGV entitlements, it will tell you when they expire. Can be anytime within the year, usually the month you passed your test. I passed my class 2 in Feb 04 & class 1 in Sept 05, turned 45 last Nov & had medical this Feb.

As said you will need to have a medical when you renew your LGV entitlement after your 45th birthday, check your license to see when your LGV entitlement expires and that’s when you will need to have the medical.

Oh and … Have a good birthday :wink:

DT@Leightonhaul:
I am 45 today and ,as i understand required to take a medical if i want to carry on driving(feel free to correct me if i’m not 100% accurate.At the moment i am working in cyprus but will be returning to work late oct/early nov,where do i stand with regard to the medical requirements■■? Any advice greatly appreciated.

You can download the medical forms here and do not use your own GP, do a search for cheap medicals, you can save yourself £100

DT@Leightonhaul:

I believe you passed your cat C on 16th August 2008

Assuming you were aged 42 at that time then your next 5 year medical will be August 2013
then 2018 then 2023 etc

I turned 45 last Sept and I thought you had to have a medical and pass it ready to renew your licence when you turned 45 otherwise you would not be eligible to drive heavy goods. I remember sending it all off mid August and it wasn’t back in time for my fortnight holiday in France which could have been awkward.

I let my HGV entitlement laps for a while and wasn’t driving lorries when I turned 45 so don’t know from my own experience.

According to this information your LGV entitlement will last until your 45th birthday, which is consistent with what bald bloke is saying.

Your entitlement to drive lorries, minibuses or buses is valid until your 45th birthday. After that, you’ll need to renew your entitlement every five years until you are 65. After the age of 65 you have to renew your licence every year.

Basically, if you can stand up, pump blood and pay in cash then you are a shoo-in for an HGV medical.

When you reach 45 the medical is valid for 5 years, so if you had a medical during the 5 years before your 45th birthday your licence expires 5 years after that medical. Mine licence never expired on my birthday, it was always the anniversary of my medical.

Martin:
When you reach 45 the medical is valid for 5 years, so if you had a medical during the 5 years before your 45th birthday your licence expires 5 years after that medical. Mine licence never expired on my birthday, it was always the anniversary of my medical.

I was 47 before I had my medical, it is overdue again now. It depends when the licence was renewed or issued. Mine was due to a DR10 :blush:

Harry Monk:
Basically, if you can stand up, pump blood and pay in cash then you are a shoo-in for an HGV medical.

and try not to bump into anything on your way in … you really shoud’ve gone to Specsavers as well…

and make sure your wallet is full.

And reaching the foot pedals helps too,dwarves are not allowed to apply.Ronnie Corbit is not funny.