Out Of Scope Mode - When?

Hi Guys, can anyone tell me a few instances when you are advised to use Out of Scope mode on a tacho ? I had not heard of it till the other day… Cheers!

It cant be used anymore

tobytyke:
Hi Guys, can anyone tell me a few instances when you are advised to use Out of Scope mode on a tacho ? I had not heard of it till the other day… Cheers!

It doesn’t matter anymore.

One minute driving on the “Queens Highway” means that ALL driving will now
count towards your nine/ten hour daily limit.

That includes off-road driving on a building site for example
(which is called out of scope).

Dieseldoforme:

tobytyke:

It doesn’t matter anymore.

One minute driving on the “Queens Highway” means that ALL driving will now
count towards your nine/ten hour daily limit.

That includes off-road driving on a building site for example
(which is called out of scope).

Not quite correct. Unless you can show me where in the regs its been changed.

Easiest senario to explain would be if you drove to a site and then loaded there but only moved that load on site and not on the public highway, then that can be classed as out of scope, but if you touch any part of the highway then it cannot be classed as out of scope. The most common guys doing it are muck movement on new road builds ect. We sometimes do it on a job we have where we move wood from a tax free zone on a site to the processing area, its only 500 metres or so but non of the movement is on the public highway.
Your total duty time still stands for the day as you have driven to the site but the movement on site does not count towards your driving time.
To be honest I don’t know any that even bother using it anymore :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Also if you are on bin lorries, this is out of scope (Domestic) as you are only operating in a radius of X (AFAIK 50 Miles/KMs) of the base.

wildfire:
Easiest senario to explain would be if you drove to a site and then loaded there but only moved that load on site and not on the public highway, then that can be classed as out of scope, but if you touch any part of the highway then it cannot be classed as out of scope.

Am I reading this as you start work from a yard, drive on the public highway to a loading site which is not on the public highway and then carry on working off the public highway because if this is the case then it is ALL in scope.

I also think you can use out of scope when you are doing a load on domestic hours!

wildfire:
Not quite correct.

Unless you can show me where in the regs its been changed.

HERE ON PAGE 10. [/b]
"Most vehicles used for the carriage of goods by road and with a maximum permissible weight of over 3.5 tonnes are in scope of the EU rules. ‘Carriage by road’ is defined as
any journey entirely or in part made on roads open to the public of a vehicle, laden or unladen, used for the carriage of passengers or goods.
‘Off-road’ driving is in scope where it forms part of a journey that also takes place on public roads.
Journeys made that are entirely ‘off-road’ are out of scope of the EU rules.

Dieseldoforme:

wildfire:
Not quite correct.

Unless you can show me where in the regs its been changed.

HERE ON PAGE 10. [/b]
"Most vehicles used for the carriage of goods by road and with a maximum permissible weight of over 3.5 tonnes are in scope of the EU rules. ‘Carriage by road’ is defined as
any journey entirely or in part made on roads open to the public of a vehicle, laden or unladen, used for the carriage of passengers or goods.
‘Off-road’ driving is in scope where it forms part of a journey that also takes place on public roads.
Journeys made that are entirely ‘off-road’ are out of scope of the EU rules.
[/quote]
I think you should read those regs again and tell me where it states that I can not use out of scope during the day if my work is off road. I will give you a clue its in the word journey :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Truckbling:

wildfire:
Easiest senario to explain would be if you drove to a site and then loaded there but only moved that load on site and not on the public highway, then that can be classed as out of scope, but if you touch any part of the highway then it cannot be classed as out of scope.

Am I reading this as you start work from a yard, drive on the public highway to a loading site which is not on the public highway and then carry on working off the public highway because if this is the case then it is ALL in scope.

wrong sorry :laughing: :laughing:

Truckbling:

Correct

wildfire:
Not quite correct.

Easiest senario to explain would be if you drove to a site . . .

It’s reasonable for me to assume that your “drive to
the site” is on a public highway.

In that case, ALL your driving on that day is IN SCOPE, off road or on road.

If you drive half a mile from your yard to a RDC, spend your full shift shunting then drive back to your yard, officially this is all in scope. Not sure what the stipulations are to allow domestic rules as you are still within X kms of your operating base.
I’m sure it is all in scope, no doubt ROG will clarify soon

trubster:
If you drive half a mile from your yard to a RDC, spend your full shift shunting then drive back to your yard, officially this is all in scope. Not sure what the stipulations are to allow domestic rules as you are still within X kms of your operating base.

Domestic rules come into play when the job being done comes under them or is exempt EU regs = same thing
Distance has no bearing on the issue

If the half mile on the road is a job that is not exempt from the EU regs then all the driving for that shift comes under EU regs

Out of scope mode,perfect use is 3.5 tonne that’s not at the time pulling a trailer for hire or reward.

ROG:

trubster:

Domestic rules come into play when the job being done comes under them or is exempt EU regs = same thing

If the half mile on the road is a job that is not exempt from the EU regs then all the driving for that shift comes under EU regs

So when do the domestic rules come in to play? I know bin lorries and recovery trucks in a certain radius are domestic, are there any more?

Recovery driving is out of scope within 100km of base, providing the recovery vehicle is: “a vehicle whose construction, fitments and other permanent characteristics were such that it would be used mainly for removing vehicles that had recently been involved in an accident or broken down”.

In practice, the driver does not usually put in a tacho disc or card when out of scope.

trubster:
So when do the domestic rules come in to play?

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … europe.pdf = see page 13 onwards

ROG:

trubster:

sorry ROG not according to vosa it don’t :exclamation: :exclamation: it states nothing in the regs about shift it only speaks of journey’s, now you can do several journey’s in one day

rang them today and and asked this question :question:

I driver from A to B and that is driving on public highway and some off road as B site is off road. I know that I come under eu regs for that jourmey,
now I load at B and got to C which is still on the site and NO driving takes place for that journey on the public highway I do this several times between B and C can I put this as out of scope driving? and the answer for VOSA head office was YES!!!
now if that’s their answer and its wrong according to you and others, how the hell are we suppose to get it right if vosa head office get it wrong or did they :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

When you ask vosa over the phone most of them read from a book which they don’t always understand if you ask them to expand on anything they just repeat them selves,not that I know the answer/ right or wrong.