Opinions please as I know a few of you have them :)

So im currently doing container work with 2 nights out a week average. This is my 2nd job since getting my licence a year n half ago. Now I’ve been given the opportunity to do plant and mod work which I’ve always fancied. The problem I face (which I need your thoughts on ) is this new job is away all week now I don’t mind that but persuading the girlfriend is hard. Out of your experience what would you do??
Would you just go for it and if she’s up to the task she’ll support me or do I forget it and cut and run??

Bearing in mind that I won’t do it forever and when we do decide to have kids ill move jobs?
Opinions will be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

you have opened up a can of worms here there are 2 options and many people will be in the yes do it and an equal number will be in the don’t do it corners. i would think carefully about how you would feel if your girlfriend was to do the same or how you would feel if she leaves as you are not going to take her opinions and feelings into account. My own ( and please remember this is my own views) opinion would be stay where you are for now, i should have left my old job 30 years ago as that led to my first wife and i splitting with kids involved was difficult.Having said that i have married an absolute diamond second time around. i would rateher have a warm woman in one hand and a cold beer in the other at night ( bit of a sod when the woman is cold and the beer is warm though) than sleep in a tin box . There may be a job on plant come up later that only hads one or two nights away :smiley:

the old timer:
you have opened up a can of worms here there are 2 options and many people will be in the yes do it and an equal number will be in the don’t do it corners. i would think carefully about how you would feel if your girlfriend was to do the same or how you would feel if she leaves as you are not going to take her opinions and feelings into account. My own ( and please remember this is my own views) opinion would be stay where you are for now, i should have left my old job 30 years ago as that led to my first wife and i splitting with kids involved was difficult.Having said that i have married an absolute diamond second time around. i would rateher have a warm woman in one hand and a cold beer in the other at night ( bit of a sod when the woman is cold and the beer is warm though) than sleep in a tin box . There may be a job on plant come up later that only hads one or two nights away :smiley:

+1 couldn’t have put it better myself

Remember blood is thicker than water. You may be fine in words but it may be a different story with the emotions get involved?

dreamlands2001:

the old timer:

+2 what does the other half think as said . it can be such a solitary life tramping and the driver community is not like it used to be (park up pop down the pub with a few drivers for a meal and a pint) …

• plant aint all its cracked up to be up to your axels in mud or an hour in torrential rain followed by snow and ice chaining strapping down then getting off up the road whilst soaking wet trying to get dry … and warm …
    or sitting waiting for a box then waiting for said box to be tipped whilst your in the dry I know where i’d be been there and done it mind i’m in the 10yr slowdown mode :wink:

for me i wouldnt move sod sleeping in a tin box when you have a partner and comfy home bed calling :open_mouth:

Home and a warm bed every time for me

nick2008:

dreamlands2001:

the old timer:

+2

+3

Depends.

Is the money much different? It IS after-all what we all go to work for.

Containers IS the easiest job in haulage, there’s no disputing that, it’s warm, dry, clean and easy - mostly for all of those.

Plant is dirty, cold in winter, boiling in summer, hard work, will result in injuries you don’t even think of.

Being away all week has never bothered me. Also, if you’ve got your heart set on something, and your missus says no, you might end up resenting her for it which will take the relationship down quicker than being away all week.
When I got with my missus - nearly 17 years ago :open_mouth: - I couldn’t even drive a car, I worked in a suit and tie doing networks, started around 8am and was on my way home at 5pm Mon - Fri, but I didn’t like it, so I changed and changed and changed until I’m where I am now.
She’s stuck beside me through the absolute worst ■■■■ you could possibly imagine, we’ve been so broke that we didn’t know how or where to get food for ourselves or our animals (no we didn’t eat the animals), and it’s took this long to be back on an earning level to what I was 17yrs ago, but doing more hours, nights out etc to earn that which also means more expense.

What I’m trying to say, if it’s what you want, then go do it, she’ll either support you or she’s the wrong girl, but make damned sure it is what you want before you do

Value her . life is short. The grass is not greener. .

Opportunity will come later .

Home.Bed. Girlfriend. Life.
Or
Laybyes. Work. No life. Work. Mud. Cold. Work.?

Just tell them that you’re life’s not for sale and don’t be daft.

I think the best thing to do is look at your current relationship, is she Mrs right or just Mrs right now.
Tramping will invariably put stress on your relationship especially if kids come along but if your young will you end up resenting your partner for not giving you the freedom to choose jobs.

I have done plant / cabins for 10 years circa 1990, s, and the crack was good back then but as mentioned it can be a filthy job. Now im tramping on containers and its great.

Luckily my kids have grown up and my relationship with er in doors has improved, parting makes the heart grow fonder etc. Especially as I have been under her feet for the last 10 years or should I say thumb.

Anyway this isn, t about me so the best advice I could give is talk to your partner a lot about this and if you want a future together learning to compromise is a good start.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers guys…For all the advice and for now it may not be the right time we’ve only been living together 6 months together for 12 so I think it’s best to wait a while and as said other opportunities will come my way

Thanks for helping me decide!

Contraflow:

nick2008:

dreamlands2001:

the old timer:
you have opened up a can of worms here there are 2 options and many people will be in the yes do it and an equal number will be in the don’t do it corners. i would think carefully about how you would feel if your girlfriend was to do the same or how you would feel if she leaves as you are not going to take her opinions and feelings into account. My own ( and please remember this is my own views) opinion would be stay where you are for now, i should have left my old job 30 years ago as that led to my first wife and i splitting with kids involved was difficult.Having said that i have married an absolute diamond second time around. i would rather have a warm woman in both hand and a cold beer ready in the fridge at night ( bit of a sod when the woman is cold and the beer is warm though) than sleep in a tin box . There may be a job on plant come up later that only hads one or two nights away :smiley:

+2

+3

• 4 .
    Only you can make the decision, but i would think long and hard and weighing up both your options.
    You are about to find out how strong and committed your relationship is with your GF .
    Not sure I would be moving on for a 3rd time in 18mths, ( been there - got the t`shirt and the grass isnt always greener just for chasing an extra 10/bob an hour ). One or two extra nights where you are would gain that smidgeon of an hourly rate ( and could test the water so to speak). :wink: Most folks get itchy feet around the 6-7 yr mark anyhows.

Nothing personal to you or any others here , but If your after higher wages - get out of driving transport.
Drivers are ten a penny, always have been , always will be. If the wheels aren`t turning the motor (substitute with boss) is not earning/

ps, you mention a current average 2 nights out , and already the gf is not keen perhaps ? :unamused: hhhmmmmm. :unamused:

And remember, you wont be getting the cream work if you do move - thats for the olde handes , you`ll be the new pup again -
Brace yourself and take it with a smile :grimacing:

Contraflow:

nick2008:

dreamlands2001:

the old timer:

+2

+3

• whatever for me as well…truckies life…= no wife…either you commit to her,or be selfish and do the job for your own satisfaction and see if she stays…or stop with her now,and if you split up,go for the job straight away as shes not exactly backing you to the hilt sofar.,at that point you will have no time for a wife as youl be either working away,or will be so wrecked once you come home,your only chance of a girlfriend will be one of the telephone trollops on late night tv… :slight_smile:

Probably for another topic, but I wonder what on earth makes a fella want to do tramping these days. I did it when I was single from the age of 21 until about 27. But as mentioned it was fun back then.
We had REAL nights out where next morning there was usually a couple of motors still in the lorry park way after their supposed start time and the drivers would be nursing sore heads! We went ten pin bowling in Bristol, Night clubbing in most cities, ALWAYS started the evening off with a good meal and I remember going to see The Undertones one night in Birmingham…parked up in the Bull Ring and always tight to get in and out.
Sightseeing in London after parking up south side of Tower Bridge or Tooley Street. Happy days!

Nobody longed for someone to invent an in-cab microwave and if you had a portable telly in your cab you were in the minority.
Over-nighting in a laybye was a sad last resort not the norm. What`s the great attraction now? Oh yes, you can do the maximum hours. Great.

To the OP. Don`t even consider it. Theres plenty of daft lads out there, let them do it.

^^^^ what makes you think some of us don’t still do that? :wink:

No matter how many stories you tell about noisy labys and filthy showers, WAGs always assume that your nights away are somewhere cosy, with your arm round a blond and a beer in your hand.

As someone said above; imagine if the situation was reversed - how would you feel about being stuck in front of the TV on your own every night while she gallivanted all over the country.

My advice - don’t do it.

the maoster:

Just generalising Moaster, but you must admit its not the norm these days.

the maoster:

Yep I agree, get a few lads together, add a bit of alcohol and the worlds your lobster…maybe not a nightly occurence but the odd ■■■■■■ still happens.
Funny how a 9 hour rest can turn into a accidental alarm didnt go off 12 quite easily :wink:

Especially on a Friday night when it doesn’t matter on a Saturday as its all OT anyway.

i.e “just one more as I have to be up at 4 oh alright 5, 6 -8 oh bollox to it wheres the nearest ■■■■■■■■■■”…