Opinions on a trailer tyre

Another question for the experts, In the pic the damage is on the side of the tread and around 35 mm so more than 25mm. I’m interested to hear opinions on legality and would you run with it.

personally no i would get it changed but then the company i work for wouldent question it i just make the call its fixed

Not a chance of running with that even if it doesn’t blow out, you get caught with that on you will be looking at a decent size fine and possibly points

Depends on the circumstances, it will last a while, so convenience would take priority for me :wink:

mazzer:
Not a chance of running with that even if it doesn’t blow out, you get caught with that on you will be looking at a decent size fine and possibly points

sometimes its a management decision (driver) if that was mine at 4 am on a Monday morning and I had 400 mile to do the bugger would be left alone…

can we have a better picture than that?

does it go through to the cords?

you say it is on the side of the tread, but, how far from the actual shoulder is it down the sidewall?

mazzer:

are you quite sure of that then?

it is a very poor picture, and you are making a very positive statement

My guess is , it will either blow-out or delaminate in the very near future, and certainly sooner than later.
Its zbd whatever and wherever that cut is and however poor the picture is.

Is it really worth the risk in terms of possible points /PG9 / personal safety & that of others when it does blow or delam`/,
Not to mention the downtime,
and the meager expense it will save just to get it changed asap. ■■?

Change it now , and you may still have a useable carcass left to get some money back on for remoulding, possibly.
Your choice :exclamation:

Looks fine to me, not in the actual tyre, just in the tread, which can be re-cut past that point. Get stuff like that all the time in scrap metal and scrap wood yards.

Roll on drive

I would have run with that.

Looks worse than it is as it’s being pulled apart with the pliers. If it had been stopped at a roadside check as long as the cords aren’t exposed I would have thought it would be ok. Especially if you had been parked on it :smiley:

Can’t really say from that photo. I’ve glued chunks that size and bigger back in and the tyre’s lasted its normal life.

It doesn’t look like tread separation it looks like a gouge to me only injuries to the actual casing part will cause or make a blowout more likely.

shuttlespanker:

you say it is on the side of the tread, but, how far from the actual shoulder is it down the sidewall?

mazzer:

Points can now be given out for brake and tyre defects, if they see something like that then they will dig deeper into your maintenance records. A couple of years back mate of mine rolled a double decker at the A50 M6 junction one of the tyres had something similar on it but could only be seen now the trailer was on it’s side yet they still gave a gv9 for the tyre, bit pointless as the trailer was well ■■■■■■ even the police said the VOSA man was being an ejit

Doesn’t look too drastic to me by that photo.

mazzer:

shuttlespanker:

mazzer:

Points can now be given out for brake and tyre defects, if they see something like that then they will dig deeper into your maintenance records. A couple of years back mate of mine rolled a double decker at the A50 M6 junction one of the tyres had something similar on it but could only be seen now the trailer was on it’s side yet they still gave a gv9 for the tyre, bit pointless as the trailer was well [zb] even the police said the VOSA man was being an ejit

as i said earlier, the picture quality is crap, it doesn’t help when the OP is opening the damage up with a pair of pliers

personally, if that has not gone down to the cords, and it is where it ‘looks’ like it is on the pic, then i doubt that it would fail an MoT for it, it is not in a dangerous place

if it had been fully on the sidewall, then yes, that would be different, but, as it appears to be on the shoulder of the tyre, then, i can’t see a problem with it

this was why i asked for a better picture of it in the very first line of my original reply :wink:

oh, and for those that say a camera never lies, try looking at trucks that are described as ‘immaculate’ and shown to be the same in the pictures, then say the camera never lies :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Like has been said a better pic is needed but put it this way, if you’re prepared to poke around at it with pliers then it’s unlikely to blow soon. The last thing I’d do with a dodgy tyre is mess around poking it with pliers or screwdrivers.

if its not down to the cords then it should be fine as its on the tread

switchlogic:
…put it this way, if you’re prepared to poke around at it with pliers then it’s unlikely to blow soon.

Careful; you could be overestimating the intelligence of the OP. This is TruckNet.

If you can’t feel the wire while having a poke at it, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Below is an extract from the Road Vehicles Construction and Use Regulations 1986.

Unsuitable tyres

All tyres must have a service description i.e. load and speed index. If the vehicle was to operate outside the service description indicated on the sidewall, for instance at a higher speed or carrying more weight than the limit then the tyres would be deemed to be unsuitable for the use, and a prosecution would follow.

Tyre Cuts

A cut in excess of 25mm or 10% of the section width of the tyre , whichever is greater, measured in any direction on the outside of the tyre and deep enough to reach the ply or cord would deem the tyre illegal.

Tyre ply or cord exposure

If there is any cut in the tyre no matter how small which exposes cords, then the tyre is illegal.

Tyre lumps, tears and bulges

If the tyre has any lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure it is good practice when assessing the damage to remove the tyre from the rim and systematically inspect it both internally and externally.

Tyre tread Depth

The legal minimum tread depth for cars and light trailers, including caravans up to 3,500kgs gross vehicle weight, and/or eight seater passenger vehicles is a minimum of 1.6mm. This 1.6mm should be in a continuous band throughout the central three-quarters of the tread width, throughout the whole of the circumference.

Any vehicle with a gross vehicle weight or gross train weight over 3,500kgs or a motorcycle above 50cc must either ensure the grooves of the tread pattern have a depth of a least 1 mm throughout a continuous band measuring at least three-quarters of the breadth of the tread and round the entire outer circumference of the tyre. Or if the grooves of the original tread pattern of the tyre do not extend beyond three-quarters of the breadth of the tread (this is common with motorcycle tyres) any groove of the original pattern must have a minimum depth of at least one millimetre.

If its not deep i’d say its ok and certainly if its a trailer tyre, think the flappy bit makes it look worse than it is.

There is no chord visible,the tear is between casing and retread. I refused to take it and had it changed by onsite fitter who complained loudly. This is for a large company with safety culture, I have pulled much worse in the past doing general haulage on building sites. Why take the chance of losing the tread. Cheers gary