Opinion on mercedes actros 2554?

i currently run 3 volvo fh 13’s @ 480hp and was looking into trying something else with a bit more power.

i know most of you may say get them chipped but i would rather not to be honest.

the two trucks i have ruled out are Iveco Stralis & scania as well put it this way …‘i just dont like them!’

we used to run 7 merc sprinter 411cdi’s and found them to be quite reliable so i thought ide give merc another go but seeing as we have never bought a merc actros before i was wondering what peoples thoughts were on them…the merc in question is a 56 plate 2554 v8

all replies greatly appreciated :wink:

Volvo_Kid:
…the merc in question is a 56 plate 2554 v8

all replies greatly appreciated :wink:

Great truck if fuel consumption not an issue on the job you use it on…we used to run three identical 54 plate V8 Actros (2550) 500hp models and they were guzzly beasts, delighted to get rid of them at end of lease, wish could have got out of sooner. Mercedes were useless and more or less admitted they could do nothing to improve the fuel economy on these trucks we had :unamused:

If you want a Merc Actros but prefer better economy you may want to consider a 460 (2546) which is a great motor, have had two in a row (05 plate and a 56 plate), neither missed a beat and both good on fuel.

V8 Merc’s are sore on fuel,otherwise a great truck apart from a poor gearbox,beware of failing ECU’s and jumpy clutche’s in more recent model’s with Powershift 1 box. They had a dualmass clutch and they usually expired before 100k. There was a recall eventually but some may have slipped by.

Great truck if fuel consumption not an issue on the job you use it on

The job it will be used for is mainly low loader work…moving diggers,tractors,combines,anything basically

my volvo 480’s are averaging 10mpg on the job at the moment…i have heard that Actros V8’s were thursty on juice but in all fairness…“isnt every V8 ?”

I admit the hp wont be used to its full potential all the time but there will be times when i will get caught out if i dont have that extra kick.

are there any other big hp trucks that you could recomend ? i would rather not go down the road of scania as i have driven them before and found the seats to be like resting on a sheet of plywood.

What about fh 16

kr79:
What about fh 16

That would be a good choice to look at for your type of work…

If not a Scania, id deffo go for an FH16, other option, (thou i dont know what the big ones are like like) would be a M.A.N??

I know of 1 Northern Ireland heavy haulage outfit that have a couple of FH16’s and won’t be having anymore due to problem’s with reliability and lack of part’s stocked with the local dealer’s. Go Merc,you’ll never drive a better truck than a V8 Actros and the way thing’s are going V8’s aint gonna be around much longer.

kindle530:
If not a Scania, id deffo go for an FH16, other option, (thou i dont know what the big ones are like like) would be a M.A.N??

looked at getting M.A.N but parts for them around my neck of the woods is for lack of a better word ‘crap’

had thought of a DAF XF with a super space cab…lovely truck but never driven one ? but again parts from our local dealer is very very poor :frowning:

the 1 thing i have found with merc …if they dont have the parts in stock they get them shipped overnight and arrive usually by 4am at at dealers…so customer support seems to be A1

ellies dad:
I know of 1 Northern Ireland heavy haulage outfit that have a couple of FH16’s and won’t be having anymore due to problem’s with reliability and lack of part’s stocked with the local dealer’s. Go Merc,you’ll never drive a better truck than a V8 Actros and the way thing’s are going V8’s aint gonna be around much longer.

Hear what you are saying and you arent far wrong …our local volvo agent has trouble sometimes with our fh13’s for parts…like i said in the previous post…merc seem to be on form with there parts department or at least they are up here…only thing that concerns me from what a few people have told me is the V8 actros’s are renouned for supping the juice …worse than other trucks with the same hp :frowning:

Camden frame’s had a yard full of 1854’s delivering window frame’s throughout Ireland and Britan they usually had 6 ton load’s on and got 6mpg. I know of another 2555 doing bulk fertiliser which does around 7mpg.
Camden’s truck’s had stack’s and they travelled around 100kph.

I am NOT a fan at all either but for the BEST choice in that HP bracket you can’t ignore SCANIA :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

Big Truck:
I am NOT a fan at all either but for the BEST choice in that HP bracket you can’t ignore SCANIA :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

i would normally agree with you as my uncle used to run 3 scania’s and low loaders back in the day but to be honest i cant stand them …they are the most uncomfortable truck i have ever been in .

Volvo_Kid:

Big Truck:

i would normally agree with you as my uncle used to run 3 scania’s and low loaders back in the day but to be honest i cant stand them …they are the most uncomfortable truck i have ever been in .

Remap(NOT chip :exclamation: :exclamation: ) the Volvos to no more than 530horse then as it will do them NO HARM and save you a packet and you won’t have to change your posting name :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:
Try the one first to convince yourself. :sunglasses:

Otherwise:
Daf XF
Merc Actros
MAN TGX
with the big donkeys. :wink:

and you won’t have to change your posting name :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:
[/quote]
love it :slight_smile:

the volvo’s main job is container work and fridge work over to europe.

Iam currently in the market for 2 more trucks …1 in particular for the low loader job hence the question on big hp trucks.
spoke to my volvo dealer about an FH16 yesterday and he basically said he has to ask volvo if i can have one as it goes on how good of a customer you are and how much you spend with them as to what sort of hp you get .My response was "ive been offered a Merc Actros and thought seeing as ive got volvo’s ide give you guys a shot ,but if you cant do it i will be switching to Merc :wink: "

Apparently they are going to see if they can pull some strings all of a sudden ■■?

The only problem i have with the FH16 and someone very rightly pointed out is the fact that the dealers dont usually stock parts for them as there isnt may of them about…especially around here.

The thing that swings Merc for me is the Service back-up i found is second to none.

theres a nice FH16 here,
euro-wheels.com/sales_detail … mage=Saxon 16.JPG
or a long wheelbase tag axle Scania
rjmcommercials.co.uk/html/r580_lhd.html

hi got ascania r560 wth the overdrive manual g/box 1100 rpm at 90k,think thatswwhat the prob is with the v8 mercs is that the rev to high. im a big fan of the big merc and am gettin a demo 2446 off my local dealer,if u want the dogs danglies have alook at merc intercounty used trucks ,they have a 2460 v8 in on a08 6x2 55k

kindle530:
theres a nice FH16 here,
euro-wheels.com/sales_detail … mage=Saxon 16.JPG
or a long wheelbase tag axle Scania
rjmcommercials.co.uk/html/r580_lhd.html

lovely looking volvo …only down side is it is a bit over kill for me as im looking for a 44ton unit…130ton is a wee bit too much but nice try :wink:

scania …erm no thanks…too many negatives for me to be honest but thanks very much for looking :slight_smile:

davev8500:
hi got ascania r560 wth the overdrive manual g/box 1100 rpm at 90k,think thatswwhat the prob is with the v8 mercs is that the rev to high. im a big fan of the big merc and am gettin a demo 2446 off my local dealer,if u want the dogs danglies have alook at merc intercounty used trucks ,they have a 2460 v8 in on a08 6x2 55k

nice looking truck but needs to be a 44 ton unit :slight_smile:

Volvo_Kid:

davev8500:

nice looking truck but needs to be a 44 ton unit :slight_smile:

The 08 Merc Actros 2460 V8 6x2 is a 44t unit is it not :question: :confused: