Oops 3 Points & £100 Fine - Ouch!

My own stupid fault!!!

Bringing a double decked trailer back from Erith heading for the Darford Tunnel, I knew I had to travel through the East tunnel because I googled it before setting off, didn’t know I had to head in the opposite direction to junction 1B to double back on myself in order to get into the correct lane for the East tunnel. Approaching junction 1A I did see the height restriction signs but thought I would be able to filter across before entering the restriction!

Well,…
Happy New Year to You

and if english was not your first language…?

Were you perchance pulling a John Lewiss dd?,thought this was a bit strange as i was 4 behind you at the time if so?

manalishi:
Were you perchance pulling a John Lewiss dd?,thought this was a bit strange as i was 4 behind you at the time if so?

No that wasn’t me - There must of been two idiots out that night :blush:

MickyB666:
My own stupid fault!!!

Bringing a double decked trailer back from Erith heading for the Darford Tunnel, I knew I had to travel through the East tunnel because I googled it before setting off, didn’t know I had to head in the opposite direction to junction 1B to double back on myself in order to get into the correct lane for the East tunnel. Approaching junction 1A I did see the height restriction signs but thought I would be able to filter across before entering the restriction!

That’s a pleasant change, someone holding their hands up and saying “I’m just an ordinary human being, making occasional human errors”, and not trying to make out that someone else is to blame.
Out of interest, are you in a Union, such as URTU, as they would help out with cost of the fine through the Benevolent fund, wont help with the points, but would sweeten an otherwise bitter pill :smiley:

■■■■ those double deckers and their liabilities… No extra pay either.

Seems pretty harsh being done for effectively not being familiar with the new dartford crossing layout…

Winseer:

Would you accept less pay for a smaller trailer :question:

Don’t worry get it paid and time will heal the :blush:
I got caught out at the black wall tunnel when I was still green £60 + 3 points for that mishap :blush: :imp:

eddie snax:
…Out of interest, are you in a Union, such as URTU, as they would help out with cost of the fine through the Benevolent fund, wont help with the points, but would sweeten an otherwise bitter pill :smiley:

I am not in a union but I wouldn’t expect anyone else to pay for my mistake, I am sure that the money from the fund could be better spent elsewhere.

Cheers for the thought though :smiley:

Not being familiar with the new layout, what does it mean if you’re in the wrong lane? Do you have to get the police to reverse you out or something? I don’t understand why you got a fine and points.

From 1a, upon joining the m25, you used to be able to pull right over to lane 3 to get under the higher tunnel.
Now there’s a concrete barrier there, preventing people joining the m25 at 1a from doing exactly that, so higher trailers need to go down the m25 to turn around and get in the correct lane prior to the barrier.
If you’ve used 1a before, you’ll see the signs telling you that but probably don’t realise why (that the barrier is there), till you get there.
Edit to add, Police will probably be on scene to hold the traffic, theres a gated slip road that probably helps remove the wayward vehicle. Vosa are usually local too.

So if you intend to use the Darford tunnel and you are pulling a double deck trailer or any load over 4.8m high please be aware that…

The East tunnel has a height restriction of 5m, the West tunnel has a height restriction of 4.8m - you cannot access the higher East tunnel from Junction 1A, if you are joining at junction 1A and need to use the higher East tunnel you have to go back to junction 1B in order to filter over to the right onto the East tunnel access lanes.

If you are over height on the approach to the West tunnel you will trigger an automatic alarm system, once the alarm is activated the traffic lights on the approach road change to red and a barrier drops down on the road in front of you, once you are stationary the traffic lights change to display a green left pointing arrow, the barriers to the left and in front open and a DVSA vehicle directs you to follow them to the holding area where you are issued with your ‘fixed penalty’ fine of £100 and 3 points.

• Please be aware that this is an automated system and once the ‘over height’ alarm has been activated there is no discretion your fate is sealed and you will NOT be left off with a warning!!!

** Obey the height restriction notices at junction 1A, you cannot access the East tunnel from junction 1A…if you try you will be fined and given points!!!

MickyB666:

eddie snax:
…Out of interest, are you in a Union, such as URTU, as they would help out with cost of the fine through the Benevolent fund, wont help with the points, but would sweeten an otherwise bitter pill :smiley:

I am not in a union but I wouldn’t expect anyone else to pay for my mistake, I am sure that the money from the fund could be better spent elsewhere.

Cheers for the thought though :smiley:

That’s Ok Chap :smiley:

Just to clarify, the benevolent fund is part of what your subs go to, for this very type of situation. I’ve not ever paid a speeding fine, whilst driving a truck, as I’ve always been reimbursed through the benevolent fund, I will just add that my last speeding fine was in March 2009. so not such a regular offender as I once was :wink:

dri-diddly-iver:

Winseer:

Would you accept less pay for a smaller trailer :question:

Who’s talking about that?

Never heard of it anywhere…

The way it normally works is

(1) Firm gets some DD trailers in
(2) Some bright sparks thing they’ll look pretty cool towing them - so up they volunteer…
(3) Later, when they’ve been turned back at Dartford Crossing to go the long way around the M25 once too often - they realize that they’ve been had.

At no stage was “less pay for small” or “more pay for big” mentioned. Loading the buggers with a pump truck isn’t a barrel of laughs when on job & knock either. :unamused:

MickyB666:
So if you intend to use the Darford tunnel and you are pulling a double deck trailer or any load over 4.8m high please be aware that…

The East tunnel has a height restriction of 5m, the West tunnel has a height restriction of 4.8m - you cannot access the higher East tunnel from Junction 1A, if you are joining at junction 1A and need to use the higher East tunnel you have to go back to junction 1B in order to filter over to the right onto the East tunnel access lanes.

If you are over height on the approach to the West tunnel you will trigger an automatic alarm system, once the alarm is activated the traffic lights on the approach road change to red and a barrier drops down on the road in front of you, once you are stationary the traffic lights change to display a green left pointing arrow, the barriers to the left and in front open and a DVSA vehicle directs you to follow them to the holding area where you are issued with your ‘fixed penalty’ fine of £100 and 3 points.

• Please be aware that this is an automated system and once the ‘over height’ alarm has been activated there is no discretion your fate is sealed and you will NOT be left off with a warning!!!

** Obey the height restriction notices at junction 1A, you cannot access the East tunnel from junction 1A…if you try you will be fined and given points!!!

There should be a “Warning 15’9” sign on the entrance slip J1a… Without it, taking the sliproad here is an easy mistake to make - attempting to use an innocent-looking sliproad J1a which then boxes you into the west tunnel - too low @ 15’9" for the fedex, Yodel 16 footers etc from Erith direction… I’m glad to see the back of 'em now I’m back on full time again.

eddie snax:

MickyB666:
My own stupid fault!!!

That’s a pleasant change, someone holding their hands up and saying “I’m just an ordinary human being, making occasional human errors”, and not trying to make out that someone else is to blame.

+1

Winseer:
[quote=“MickyB666”
There should be a “Warning 15’9” sign on the entrance slip J1a… Without it, taking the sliproad here is an easy mistake to make - attempting to use an innocent-looking sliproad J1a which then boxes you into the west tunnel - too low @ 15’9" for the fedex, Yodel 16 footers etc from Erith direction… I’m glad to see the back of 'em now I’m back on full time again.

Trouble is that if there was a warning sign, the poor buggers would miss out on a bit of revenue, not have the joy of some poor sod getting points on their licence and on top of all that they’d have to fork out for these extra signs. Talk about getting shafted !

eddie snax:

If I’ve read it right it’s an un marked exit from a junction into a slip road leading into an un avoidable height restriction with no way out after that junction.At which point they’ll then hit the unfortunate driver with 3 points and a £100 fine.That isn’t a driver error and the Highways Authority certainly are to blame. :unamused:

Winseer:
There should be a “Warning 15’9” sign on the entrance slip J1a…

There are, but you won’t find them on Google Streetview photos from 2014.

For example, this is one of the new ones, with what it replaced.