Only a dream at the mo

Rob K:
“Finding out for themselves” is a bit too late after shelling out £100k in credit on a unit and a trailer and all the associated start-up costs based on a few BS posts from certain members that reckon that £2k a week on boxes is easily achievable. The muppets that give out that sort of “advice” should be held responsible for the debts when it inevitably goes ■■■■ up 6 months down the line.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob, have you tried ■■■■■■■■■■■■ as a substitute for blatant ■■■■ stirring :question: :unamused:
I highly recomend it. :wink:

I was starting to think you posessed a modicum of common dog ■■■■ until you chimed in with the 100k bit. Once again I pose the question, what is your experience and position within the industry that gives you such accute insight into the “murky” underworld that is the “Owner Driver”?

I wait with baited breath as you expertly dodge the question in a “Blair-like” fashion.
A straight answer would lend much credibility to your constant, negative posts on this topic, all imho, of course. :wink:

You are onto something though with £2k being BS, I consistantly pay my “Subbie” £2.1 to 2.2k p/wk, (2 to 3 jobs a day x-fxt !) :grimacing:

Rob K:

Semtex:
At least the OP has the forethought to look into things early and ask the questions. How many times have we seen posts on here along the lines of

“I’ve just bought a unit and got an O licence…where do I find work?”

That itself has to be applauded. Also the way I am reading it is that the OP is not looking to start (If at all) for at least 4 or 5 years, by which time the reccession should just be about over :grimacing:

He may also decide, after all his research, not to bother.

RobK, I’ve seen all your posts when someone asks about starting up. Can you please just let them find out for themselves instead of jumping straight in, or if you feel that strongly about it just hold back until money is about to change hands.

Just give some people a chance is all I am saying

“Finding out for themselves” is a bit too late after shelling out £100k in credit on a unit and a trailer and all the associated start-up costs based on a few BS posts from certain members that reckon that £2k a week on boxes is easily achievable. The muppets that give out that sort of “advice” should be held responsible for the debts when it inevitably goes ■■■■ up 6 months down the line.

Thats just it though, he’s not shelling out “£100k on a unit and trailer” he’s asking questions, doing his research early (besides, he was thinking about £10k for a useable unit and trailer)

If he likes the answers, he might go for it, if he doesn’t then he might not.

comments like “here we go again” or “not another one” or even the infamous faceplant picture don’t help at all. Infact if it was me (don’t worry I’m not but for personal reasons) I’m that stubborn that your comments would make me more determined to go out and do it.

What I am saying is more “constructive” critisim is better than your “destructive” critisim.

give him his due though, he might be a complete ■■■■ but he does know how to wind us up :laughing:

O.k. just to play devil’s advocate.

I’ve seen a Daf cf 2005 reg’d for sale for around 6k and a skeletal trailer for less than 2k so 8k for the hardware, I know it’s nothing special but surely it’d be enough to make a start!?

Lets say I’ve got enough experience to see me through and somehow found someone who can give me a full week’s work most weeks.

What other expenses are there? o license, fuel, insurance, depreciation/savings for next truck and maintenence, with rough costs please?

Goaty:

Rob K:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob, have you tried ■■■■■■■■■■■■ as a substitute for blatant [zb] stirring :question: :unamused:
I highly recomend it. :wink:

I was starting to think you posessed a modicum of common dog [zb] until you chimed in with the 100k bit. Once again I pose the question, what is your experience and position within the industry that gives you such accute insight into the “murky” underworld that is the “Owner Driver”?

I wait with baited breath as you expertly dodge the question in a “Blair-like” fashion.
A straight answer would lend much credibility to your constant, negative posts on this topic, all imho, of course. :wink:

You are onto something though with £2k being BS, I consistantly pay my “Subbie” £2.1 to 2.2k p/wk, (2 to 3 jobs a day x-fxt !) :grimacing:

The £100k is a random pulled-out-of-the-air figure. It can be anything you want it to be depending on whether you buy an old shed and/or go down the trailer rental route. From reading old posts on here the vast majority go down their dealer and buy the biggest bells and whistles motor and trailer they can afford the repayments on and then come on here 6 months down the line either moaning about the company they were pulling for having gone belly up or looking for MUCH better paying work because they discovered the £2k per week box figures posted on here were nothing like reality.

If you’re all so sure that £2k per week on boxes is easily achievable then provide the company details. I will bet my house that you will not find ANY box company/haulier in the UK offering £2k per week earnings for ODs/subbies. Don’t bother replying saying “yes it can be done, blah blah blah” because it’s all sound bites unless you can back it up with evidence. And the fact is that none of you can because you’re all pulling for 2-bit companies like Bornholm getting 3rd hand work paying peanuts. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ETA - frankly I do not care what you claim your earnings are, but it does ■■■■ me off that you all make it out to be a walk in the park to potential OD noobs when it is far from. If you all reckon it’s so easy to make money at ODing then YOU should be offering to put up the money needed for the noobs to start up. Of course you’ll never do this because you all know that the figures you are quoting are the exception rather than the norm and there’s no hope in hell of a noob making any money pulling boxes. Just admit it and stop all the BS.

darkseeker:
O.k. just to play devil’s advocate.

I’ve seen a Daf cf 2005 reg’d for sale for around 6k and a skeletal trailer for less than 2k so 8k for the hardware, I know it’s nothing special but surely it’d be enough to make a start!?

Lets say I’ve got enough experience to see me through and somehow found someone who can give me a full week’s work most weeks.

What other expenses are there? o license, fuel, insurance, depreciation/savings for next truck and maintenence, with rough costs please?

roadtransport.com/CostTable/Default.aspx

Have a play on that fella, might give youa few idea’s. I would suggest about 800 litres per week as a minimum for diesel

Just an added thought, there was an article in commercial motor recently that rekoned a new start would need about £32k to get going before the first payments start coming in.

Its the one with our very own Repton on the cover

Thankyou, I’ll have a play with that soon, got other things to worry about at the moment though. I’ve seen the article in question in passing and will have a better look given half a chance.

Given that though, where does the 32k usually come from? I very much doubt it’s saved so can only guess at a business loan of some kind?

I’ve had this little to and fro with you several times before, however for your benefit…

Rob K:
The £100k is a random pulled-out-of-the-air figure. It can be anything you want it to be depending on whether you buy an old shed and/or go down the trailer rental route. From reading old posts on here the vast majority go down their dealer and buy the biggest bells and whistles motor and trailer they can afford the repayments on and then come on here 6 months down the line either moaning about the company they were pulling for having gone belly up or looking for MUCH better paying work because they discovered the £2k per week box figures posted on here were nothing like reality.

:open_mouth: Agreed. :open_mouth: If you can’t be ■■■■■■ to crunch the numbers, do some serious research and then go out and by the £100k unit, you are, imho, a ■■■■ and deserve to fail :exclamation:
Harsh, but there you have it.

Rob K:
If you’re all so sure that £2k per week on boxes is easily achievable then provide the company details. I will bet my house that you will not find ANY box company/haulier in the UK offering £2k per week earnings for ODs/subbies. Don’t bother replying saying “yes it can be done, blah blah blah” because it’s all sound bites unless you can back it up with evidence. And the fact is that none of you can because you’re all pulling for 2-bit companies like Bornholm getting 3rd hand work paying peanuts. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Be very careful putting “Special Towers” on the table in such a foolhardy fashion Sir K, as it could well see you in cardboard city !
What evidence will you accept, oh question dodging one ?

Rob K:
ETA - frankly I do not care what you claim your earnings are, but it does ■■■■ me off that you all make it out to be a walk in the park to potential OD noobs when it is far from.

I personaly don’t recall doing so. It is pretty far from easy, at least to start with (in my own humble experience) What ■■■■■■ me off is your constant barrage of anti o/d vitriol.
It’s not an easy path BUT it ain’t impossible. Most importantly though it’s very ■■■■■■■ satisfying, well to me anyway. :sunglasses:

Rob K:
If you all reckon it’s so easy to make money at ODing then YOU should be offering to put up the money needed for the noobs to start up. Of course you’ll never do this because you all know that the figures you are quoting are the exception rather than the norm and there’s no hope in hell of a noob making any money pulling boxes. Just admit it and stop all the BS.

There’s ■■■■ all profit in being a dedicated subby to 90% of the firms out there, that I agree with.
I don’t remember seeing any legislation that says o/d’s may not pursue their own customers. Think out of the box. Your choice, not theirs… :bulb: :exclamation: :wink: :sunglasses:

Goaty:
I’ve had this little to and fro with you several times before, however for your benefit…

Rob K:

:open_mouth: Agreed. :open_mouth: If you can’t be [zb] to crunch the numbers, do some serious research and then go out and by the £100k unit, you are, imho, a [zb] and deserve to fail :exclamation:
Harsh, but there you have it.

Crikey. :open_mouth: Some common sense at least. There is hope yet. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Rob K:

Be very careful putting “Special Towers” on the table in such a foolhardy fashion Sir K, as it could well see you in cardboard city !
What evidence will you accept, oh question dodging one ?

The name of the company you are pulling for and their ‘subby enquiries’ number, not some bloke who you’ve paid a tenner to tell me what you want me to hear. :laughing:

Rob K:
ETA - frankly I do not care what you claim your earnings are, but it does ■■■■ me off that you all make it out to be a walk in the park to potential OD noobs when it is far from.

I personaly don’t recall doing so. It is pretty far from easy, at least to start with (in my own humble experience) What ■■■■■■ me off is your constant barrage of anti o/d vitriol.
It’s not an easy path BUT it ain’t impossible. Most importantly though it’s very [zb] satisfying, well to me anyway. :sunglasses:

My “constant barrage” is because it’s the same story every time. Some rose-tinted-glasses wearing kid (not directing this comment at anyone in particular) comes on here with delusions of grandeur about having his own truck and being able to tart it up how he wants and then worries about finding work for it. Priorities wrong way round right from the start, BUT it’s not just the finding work that’s the challenge, it’s the working GOOD paying work and from what I’ve seen of the posts here there isn’t anywhere near emphasis on that from the enquiree nor you guys still doing the job.

There’s so much hypocritcal BS from you guys as well, that shuttle guy in particular. He berates me in this thread for apparently talking BS about the box earning figures I’ve quoted, but yet it was only 6 months ago where he posted not dissimilar figures in his thread about Maritime earnings. WTF? Hyprocrital much? :unamused:

Ah, enough of this BS anyway. Sick of [zb] arguing with a load of ■■■■■■. Listen darkseeker, go out and buy your [zb] truck and get your O-licence. You’ll make millions at it. Listen to these superstars on here that know it all doing their £2k a week box jobs. You’ll be able to retire at 35 and live off the interest just from all the cash you’ve made. :unamused: No, seriously, it really is a great investment and you’ll makes loads of money at it. :slight_smile: :unamused: That’s my last post on the topic. I just pity the poor [zb]s that come to this site looking for advice and gets you lot of ■■■■■■ advising him. It’d be simpler if you just give them the address to the local bankruptcy court.

In fact it shouldn’t be ROG on pre-mod, it should be you bunch of numpties on pre-mod for giving out factually incorrect and misleading information.

Rob K:
That’s my last post on the topic.

:smiley:

Rob K:
In fact it shouldn’t be ROG on pre-mod, it should be you bunch of numpties on pre-mod for giving out factually incorrect and misleading information.

:confused:

i think theres something i need to clear up here, 95% of container work pays crap money end of, i only left my general haulage job to do the boxes i do now as the pay was much better, i work directly with the shipping line and the end customer, no middle men,nothing third hand,just me and them, so if you read back rob what i actually said at the start was i earn 2k a week on boxes doing the job i,m on at the moment, i didnt say everyone on boxes everywhere earns that cos i know what they do get, god knows i,ve been offered it enough times over the years but turned it down, as for flash motors and trailers, i started with a J reg scania that i paid 3 grand for and was given the use of a flat trailer for free, now i,m an experienced old hand “flash” owner driver i,ve just pushed the boat out and paid 16k for a truck, and the skelly i bought last year cost me all of 1800 pounds! flash , me, i dont think so

chaversdad:
i think theres something i need to clear up here, 95% of container work pays crap money end of, i only left my general haulage job to do the boxes i do now as the pay was much better, i work directly with the shipping line and the end customer, no middle men,nothing third hand,just me and them, so if you read back rob what i actually said at the start was i earn 2k a week on boxes doing the job i,m on at the moment, i didnt say everyone on boxes everywhere earns that cos i know what they do get, god knows i,ve been offered it enough times over the years but turned it down, as for flash motors and trailers, i started with a J reg scania that i paid 3 grand for and was given the use of a flat trailer for free, now i,m an experienced old hand “flash” owner driver i,ve just pushed the boat out and paid 16k for a truck, and the skelly i bought last year cost me all of 1800 pounds! flash , me, i dont think so

That’ll be the nail being hit firmly on the head then !

That’s pretty much the same situation as myself CD.

Popemobile £6k cash ! The new one £18k with paint. Trailer(s), traction or rentals.

■■■■ that means I’ve got £76k sat in the bank then ! :open_mouth:

Why not start small - with a van - and see how it goes? Might not be the dream at first, but the best things come to those that wait…

Goaty:
[zb] that means I’ve got £76k sat in the bank then ! :open_mouth:

giv us a sub then :laughing: i,m thinking of getting one of them ride on mowers to keep on top of my back field ermm sorry garden :laughing: :smiley:

as usuall rob you know not what your talking about. would you give your advice to anybody thinking about starting any kind of business or is it just us
hard working self employed haulage companies that are priviledged to your professional business acumen.please dont ever consider a career in business growth cos we will all be doomed for sure.

i will agree on one general point, anybody that dives in without doing thier homework first deserves to fail. however as ive said in almost every debate with you it will only succeed if the individual makes it succeed, sometimes its easy most days its hard, so dont be so quick to write off anybody
with “ONLY A DREAM AT THE MOMENT” ideas. i know because 12/15 years ago i was that person.

once again i ask you what do you do for a living ? maybe i could help YOU suceed with some REAL BUSINESS ADVICE about running a business and you never know you might make a few bob.

weewulliewinkie:
as usuall rob you know not what your talking about. would you give your advice to anybody thinking about starting any kind of business or is it just us
hard working self employed haulage companies that are priviledged to your professional business acumen.please dont ever consider a career in business growth cos we will all be doomed for sure.

i will agree on one general point, anybody that dives in without doing thier homework first deserves to fail. however as ive said in almost every debate with you it will only succeed if the individual makes it succeed, sometimes its easy most days its hard, so dont be so quick to write off anybody
with “ONLY A DREAM AT THE MOMENT” ideas. i know because 12/15 years ago i was that person.

once again i ask you what do you do for a living ? maybe i could help YOU suceed with some REAL BUSINESS ADVICE about running a business and you never know you might make a few bob.

Hilarious. Real business advice from an owner driver? I’ve heard it all now :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . You keep on working hard making your millions pullings your pallets around the UK for a quid a mile and 100hr weeks and I’ll keep on with my business, which these days involves sitting on my arse for much of the week doing as a I please whilst watching the money roll in. No hard work involved here.

By the way, my business originally started out as an e-commerce business and it’s from the money I made doing that that I am where I am today, so your “please dont [sic] ever consider a career in business growth” is quite laughable really. Perhaps you would like to compare year end accounts with me to see exactly which one of us is “doomed” ? :bulb:

now now robert, you see your doing it again i dont carry freight for £1.00 a mile and if i worked for 100 hrs a week i would be breaking the law
and thats not good business. you probably do have a pound or two, but e-commerce, selling stuff on ebay is that what you mean. whatever rocks
your boat mate if its profitable i salute you.

business advice. everybody needs it at some point unfortunately yours is all crap. go on surprise me just once tell one of the new starts how you
would set up a new venture. because if your just sitting on your arse watching money roll in you must be an expert, although i very much doubt it.
eh!!!BTW robert get it right, business advice from a highly profitable owner driver,then again i would have to charge you for it cos thats
how business works see.

business growth, PROFIT the magic word thats how a business starts, survives and grows, even in a reccession the work is there and if your
good at business you will find it. so if you want to put business models, protocals, correctness of transactions, profit & loss, balance sheets
assets or any other business item on the agenda im up for the debate anytime because unlike you as far as running a transport business goes
i know what im talking about.

weewulliewinkie:
now now robert, you see your doing it again i dont carry freight for £1.00 a mile and if i worked for 100 hrs a week i would be breaking the law
and thats not good business. you probably do have a pound or two, but e-commerce, selling stuff on ebay is that what you mean. whatever rocks
your boat mate if its profitable i salute you.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: You have rumbled me! I’m an ebay seller! :open_mouth: :smiley: :unamused: . I’m feeling in a generous mood today so I’ll give you that actually as I did used to sell on ebay many years ago and rather surprisingly it was quite a profitable little venture too, but didn’t last long and I ended up in a police cell :open_mouth: but that’s another story.

business advice. everybody needs it at some point unfortunately yours is all crap.

Oh dear. Fail.

go on surprise me just once tell one of the new starts how you
would set up a new venture.

I would tell them to not be so ridiculous and find a profitable line of work. :smiley:

because if your just sitting on your arse watching money roll in you must be an expert, although i very much doubt it.

‘Expert’ would be pushing it a bit, but those are your words not mine. In any case, it’s nothing to do with being an ‘expert’, it’s to do with starting at the bottom, building the foundations, doing the 80hr weeks and getting to the point where you have enough coming in to take on a couple of staff to pretty much run your business for you and that is where I am at.

eh!!!BTW robert get it right, business advice from a highly profitable owner driver,then again i would have to charge you for it cos thats
how business works see.

Thank you for your offer, but I’ll decline if it’s all the same, cost or no cost. Especially when you say things like “highly profitable owner driver” - quite an impressive oxymoron.

business growth, PROFIT the magic word thats how a business starts, survives and grows, even in a reccession the work is there and if your
good at business you will find it. so if you want to put business models, protocals, correctness of transactions, profit & loss, balance sheets
assets or any other business item on the agenda im up for the debate anytime because unlike you as far as running a transport business goes
i know what im talking about.

If you knew anything about running a transport business you’d have sold up and got out of it years ago, so once again I will decline your offer of business advice and any form of debate.

As you asked what line of work I’m in, it’s a niche area of IT. Do a search for a thread about wifi at MSAs and you’ll find several posts from me giving an insight into my business.