Only a dream at the mo

Haven’t even got my C+E yet but I can dream :unamused:

Is it hard finding work? I’ve been nosying around and reckon a useable unit and trailer can be found for around 10k, won’t be anything fancy or anything like new but would be a start. I quite like the idea of going it alone once I’ve got a couple of years experience on the artic’s so thought I’d ask you guys what’s what.

I’m not too bothered what sort of work, containers, bulk tippers and flatbeds seem to be the way forward though, u.k. only unless I get a decent amount of euro work first. I don’t know anything much about it but I’m not so naieve as to think that 10k’s all I’ll have to spend, obviously there’s running costs, insurance, maintenence, and so-on, what else would I need? How do you go about finding work and how do you work out a price?

Don’t worry, I’ll hopefuly know plenty more before then. I’m just curious at the moment and it’d give me an idea as to whether to keep this dream alive (and start learning rather than just doing as I’m told) or nip it in the bud before I make a colossol mistake :wink:

If you’re serious about it, I’d recomend sitting your “Proper” CPC. This’ll dot the I’s etc.

All the BS aside, TNUK is a mine of information. If you take the time to go through it, most of your questions will have been answered many times over. :wink:

darkseeker:
Haven’t even got my C+E yet but I can dream :unamused:

Is it hard finding work? I’ve been nosying around and reckon a useable unit and trailer can be found for around 10k, won’t be anything fancy or anything like new but would be a start. I quite like the idea of going it alone once I’ve got a couple of years experience on the artic’s so thought I’d ask you guys what’s what.

I’m not too bothered what sort of work, containers, bulk tippers and flatbeds seem to be the way forward though, u.k. only unless I get a decent amount of euro work first. I don’t know anything much about it but I’m not so naieve as to think that 10k’s all I’ll have to spend, obviously there’s running costs, insurance, maintenence, and so-on, what else would I need? How do you go about finding work and how do you work out a price?

Don’t worry, I’ll hopefuly know plenty more before then. I’m just curious at the moment and it’d give me an idea as to whether to keep this dream alive (and start learning rather than just doing as I’m told) or nip it in the bud before I make a colossol mistake :wink:

There’s only one suitable response to this post :

:laughing:

Best adice is dont run before you walk

Goaty:
If you’re serious about it, I’d recomend sitting your “Proper” CPC. This’ll dot the I’s etc.

All the BS aside, TNUK is a mine of information. If you take the time to go through it, most of your questions will have been answered many times over. :wink:

thats spot on, and thats only the start of it :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

if you are really serious about becoming an owner driver then the number 1 most important thing to remember is … DONT LISTEN TO A WORD ROB K says :laughing: :laughing:

chaversdad:
if you are really serious about becoming an owner driver then the number 1 most important thing to remember is … DONT LISTEN TO A WORD ROB K says :laughing: :laughing:

Do you mean like Sean, cement mixer driver and Paul B :smiling_imp:

There is loads of work out there, its finding something that pays well and regularly that is the holy grail.

Wheel Nut:

chaversdad:

sorry mate that means nothing to me :question: must have been something i missed

chaversdad:

Wheel Nut:

chaversdad:

sorry mate that means nothing to me :question: must have been something i missed

:unamused: These forums n00bs know nothing, Malc. :laughing:

vinnyl:

Aye, I know, just like I said it’s more a dream than anything (certainly a few years off yet) but I’m a curious type person - I know a little about a lot because I ask these questions :wink:

Obviously, there’ll come a day when (assuming I go for it) I need much more info but basic hints and suggestions are all I wanted really - just helps if you can get on the right path to start with if you see what I mean.

darkseeker:

vinnyl:

Aye, I know, just like I said it’s more a dream than anything (certainly a few years off yet) but I’m a curious type person - I know a little about a lot because I ask these questions :wink:

Obviously, there’ll come a day when (assuming I go for it) I need much more info but basic hints and suggestions are all I wanted really - just helps if you can get on the right path to start with if you see what I mean.

I am not going to get into the confectionery payments, but think of one thing and the reasons for it.

Why does a successful haulier generally not take on a new driver with no experience of the job?

Can you elaborate a little please w.n.?

Just to clarify a point here, as I said - it’s a good few years off yet and if, I were to go for it, I’d make a point of learning whatever I need to. I’m not going to do 3yrs on fridges and go buy a skeletal and a unit and expect to get by; If someone were to say to me “container work’s relatively easy to find and good money compared to anything else” I’d go all out to get a start on containers asap and get a few years experience with them before I even considered buying a truck. That’s the point of this really - I’m just after a point in the right direction and enough info to be able to start thinking things through.

At least the OP has the forethought to look into things early and ask the questions. How many times have we seen posts on here along the lines of

“I’ve just bought a unit and got an O licence…where do I find work?”

That itself has to be applauded. Also the way I am reading it is that the OP is not looking to start (If at all) for at least 4 or 5 years, by which time the reccession should just be about over :grimacing:

He may also decide, after all his research, not to bother.

RobK, I’ve seen all your posts when someone asks about starting up. Can you please just let them find out for themselves instead of jumping straight in, or if you feel that strongly about it just hold back until money is about to change hands.

Just give some people a chance is all I am saying

:slight_smile: Thanks semtex, think you’ve sussed what I’m doing. Sorry all if I didn’t word it clearly or something.

Semtex:
At least the OP has the forethought to look into things early and ask the questions. How many times have we seen posts on here along the lines of

“I’ve just bought a unit and got an O licence…where do I find work?”

That itself has to be applauded. Also the way I am reading it is that the OP is not looking to start (If at all) for at least 4 or 5 years, by which time the reccession should just be about over :grimacing:

He may also decide, after all his research, not to bother.

RobK, I’ve seen all your posts when someone asks about starting up. Can you please just let them find out for themselves instead of jumping straight in, or if you feel that strongly about it just hold back until money is about to change hands.

Just give some people a chance is all I am saying

“Finding out for themselves” is a bit too late after shelling out £100k in credit on a unit and a trailer and all the associated start-up costs based on a few BS posts from certain members that reckon that £2k a week on boxes is easily achievable. The muppets that give out that sort of “advice” should be held responsible for the debts when it inevitably goes ■■■■ up 6 months down the line.

ffs, was that comment aimed at me? what do you want me to do , post a rate confirmation note on here so you can see exactly what i earn,if it wouldnt give too much away about who i work for then i would do it just to shut you up , i,m not some young kid who,s just started up,if it wasnt true i wouldnt have said it,which part of that do you not understand?

btw, i didnt say it was easily acheivable, i said it was what i was doing on the particular job i,m on

chaversdad:
ffs, was that comment aimed at me? what do you want me to do , post a rate confirmation note on here so you can see exactly what i earn,if it wouldnt give too much away about who i work for then i would do it just to shut you up , i,m not some young kid who,s just started up,if it wasnt true i wouldnt have said it,which part of that do you not understand?

btw, i didnt say it was easily acheivable, i said it was what i was doing on the particular job i,m on

I still reckon you’re talking BS. If you’re making £2k a week on boxes doing locals then you’re shagging the TM’s botty or you’re running it night and day. Local work always pays less than distance on normal box work, that’s why all O/Ds do distance work and make £1200 on a bad week and £1500-1600 on a half-decent week if you get some good tips. £2k on locals is just pie in the sky and I reckon if the other box O/Ds on here weren’t so polite they’d call BS on your story as well. In fact, another guy already has.

Rob K:

chaversdad:

I still reckon you’re talking BS. If you’re making £2k a week on boxes doing locals then you’re shagging the TM’s botty or you’re running it night and day. Local work always pays less than distance on normal box work, that’s why all O/Ds do distance work and make £1200 on a bad week and £1500-1600 on a half-decent week if you get some good tips. £2k on locals is just pie in the sky and I reckon if the other box O/Ds on here weren’t so polite they’d call BS on your story as well. In fact, another guy already has.

i regularly disagre with Rob K, very rarely agree with him, but this time Rob, you are speaking testicles!!!

it can be done, earning £2000 per week on locals, i have done it myself an quite a few occasions, and i’m also home every night too :sunglasses:

So, Rob, can you do us all a favour and ■■■■ off and talk about stuff that you actually know something about :unamused:

but thats the point,i dont get any tips good or bad, all i do is pull up to the tipping point drop the trailer pick an empty one up and back to the dock, right here goes with this weeks work so far,

monday 1st box £200,

i,m sure you got a chance to read the rest mr K so i will now remove it