One thing that trucking has taught me

…and that is to never buy a Vauxhall car. They must account for 80% of cars I see broken down! :open_mouth:

redbob:
…and that is to never buy a Vauxhall car. They must account for 80% of cars I see broken down! :open_mouth:

I love my cars and have had more than several in my time but never have or never will have a Vauxhall .

I have a Vauxhall, owned it 8 years and its 18 years old and never broken down…it does have a 2.8tdi Isuzu engine in it though :laughing: :laughing:

Lol shame thoose insignia vxr’s look nice. Best car I’ve had was a focus never even changed a bulb on it. Have myself an m sport 3 series now and over the last 4 years she’s had a turbo 2 sets off rear tyres £250 each countless brake callipers that cost a £180 a pop. It’s actually a good car really but I can’t wait for it to die so I can get a focus again cheap motoring and I only do 6k a year in it so a little st will do me a treat I won’t need to worry about the fuel :slight_smile:.

I’ve had my current Fiat engined Vectra for 6 yes now and never had to put a spanner near it in all that time apart from routine stuff. I’ve had my fair share of Cavaliers, an Astra and a Nova in my time and never had problems with them either. But I look after them and don’t kick the ■■■■ out of them, so I reckon that helps.

I once had an ex-police Astra, it was a great car, mate was the police mechanic who had worked on it from new he bought it from the force and I bought it from him, it had 104k when I got it and I put 70k on it with only basic servicing I did myself) sold it on ebay for what I bought it for…result :laughing:

Drift:
I have a Vauxhall, owned it 8 years and its 18 years old and never broken down…it does have a 2.8tdi Isuzu engine in it though :laughing: :laughing:

Ermmm . . . that’s all 100% Isuzu I’m afraid . . . & if you’ve never worked on recovery then you won’t know . . . oooh never mind.

Oh go on then . . . They have SERIOUS problems with the drivetrain, there is no room for anything to go amiss. Before they put the Vx badge on, they’re all laser aligned & re-shimmed to take the mechanical strain off of the 4x4 drivetrain, which is generally way out when they leave the factory.

I’m told that Vx warrant them for 12mths then deny all knowledge after that.

It is VITALLY important that you maintain an even tyre depth across each axle, even 1mm difference in tread depth can end up costing you a new diff . . . or worse !

Having said all that, (there’s a LOT more), they should be good for a few 1000’s miles each year, doing mostly on road, light work, like towing Pippa’s (empty) horsebox to the paddock & back

But then again, you could’ve bought a Dacia Duster.

P.S. If you get any electrical problems, then IME sell it for whatever you can get ASAP.

My first car was a Vauxhall Astra, which was soon named DisAstra

don’t get for the life of me why vauxhall install rubber fuel pipes witch run over the manifold of into the injectors, thay always perish from the heat then the fuel ■■■■■■ out onto the manifold and the car bursts into flames. seem that happen a fair few times.

Chas:

Drift:

Ermmm . . . that’s all 100% Isuzu I’m afraid . . . & if you’ve never worked on recovery then you won’t know . . . oooh never mind.

Oh go on then . . . They have SERIOUS problems with the drivetrain, there is no room for anything to go amiss. Before they put the Vx badge on, they’re all laser aligned & re-shimmed to take the mechanical strain off of the 4x4 drivetrain, which is generally way out when they leave the factory.

I’m told that Vx warrant them for 12mths then deny all knowledge after that.

It is VITALLY important that you maintain an even tyre depth across each axle, even 1mm difference in tread depth can end up costing you a new diff . . . or worse !

Having said all that, (there’s a LOT more), they should be good for a few 1000’s miles each year, doing mostly on road, light work, like towing Pippa’s (empty) horsebox to the paddock & back

But then again, you could’ve bought a Dacia Duster.

P.S. If you get any electrical problems, then IME sell it for whatever you can get ASAP.

Chaz, I own the forum on my car windscreen mate, nothing you can tell me about these cars :unamused:
For info they are NOT 100% Isuzu, the Isuzu 4jb1 engine in mine was fitted to the Frontera for 18 months before EU regs made them too expensive to fit, the majority of the car is Isuzu derived and built by VX at Luton under licence.
Only two models have Isuzu engines in, the 2.8tdi and this is a modified 4JB1 engine with intercooler and different turbo and injectors and fuelling system to the original Isuzu 4JB1 for more BH.
The other is the B series 3.2 V6 engine which is shared by Isuzu, Vauxhall and Honda.
The rest of the engines are all Vauxhall engine derivatives and not Isuzu.
Your knowledge of the 4x4 system is lacking massively, rather than blasting you out of the water with technical jargon 1mm of uneven tyre wear on a part time 4x4 with no centre diff will not make one iota of difference.
Wind up will make a difference but thats another discussion.
I implore you to get facts straight before ripping a marque apart with bar room tittle tattle.
Oh and trust me they can do more than 100 odd miles a year, I can post a few pictures to prove it if you like :unamused:

I really liked my 2.2 Vectra, it went like SOAS :stuck_out_tongue: .

Never ever by a Ford :laughing: .

Drift:
Chaz, I own the forum on my car windscreen mate, nothing you can tell me about these cars :unamused:
For info they are NOT 100% Isuzu, the Isuzu 4jb1 engine in mine was fitted to the Frontera for 18 months before EU regs made them too expensive to fit, the majority of the car is Isuzu derived and built by VX at Luton under licence.
Only two models have Isuzu engines in, the 2.8tdi and this is a modified 4JB1 engine with intercooler and different turbo and injectors and fuelling system to the original Isuzu 4JB1 for more BH.
The other is the B series 3.2 V6 engine which is shared by Isuzu, Vauxhall and Honda.
The rest of the engines are all Vauxhall engine derivatives and not Isuzu.
Your knowledge of the 4x4 system is lacking massively, rather than blasting you out of the water with technical jargon 1mm of uneven tyre wear on a part time 4x4 with no centre diff will not make one iota of difference.
Wind up will make a difference but thats another discussion.
I implore you to get facts straight before ripping a marque apart with bar room tittle tattle.
Oh and trust me they can do more than 100 odd miles a year, I can post a few pictures to prove it if you like :unamused:

I’d love to argue with you all day long mate, but my constitution forbids me from battling with the unarmed.

For the benefit of the rest of TNUK, could you please explain why Vx Frontera’s are significantly cheaper than almost all other 4x4’s 2nd hand . . . apart from Dacia Dusters that is . . . even Lada Riva’s fetch more :smiley:

Ironically the 2.2 petrol Frontera was about the worst engine they could put in a 2 ton car :laughing:
Mate never had any issues with his 2.2 petrol vectra either, but his 2.2 petrol Fronty…another story, we talked about welding hinges on the head to change the gaskets easier :laughing: :laughing:

Chas:

I’d love to argue with you all day long mate, but my constitution forbids me from battling with the unarmed.

For the benefit of the rest of TNUK, could you please explain why Vx Frontera’s are significantly cheaper than almost all other 4x4’s 2nd hand . . . apart from Dacia Dusters that is . . . even Lada Riva’s fetch more :smiley:
[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: unarmed, what ever :unamused: try reading what I have posted :unamused:

They are cheaper because people who have never owned one (maybe like you) slate them, keep up the good work fella :smiley:

Many Years ago I owned a MK2 Cavalier, it cost me £75 it had been sitting in a field for a while was covered in green slime and didn’t start.
Only had to recharge the battery to get it to start, a friend did the welding it needed to get an MOT and a good wash got rid of the slime.
I used it for 18 months and then sold it to a mate for £50 he used it for another year or so.

Nice toy drift I have to admit though I ■■■■■■■ hate frontys I used to sell second hand cars and we had a lovely swb in silver I sold it twice both times the buyers pulled out and it sat on the forecourt for months until we traded it off. That car lost me my commission and premium bonds on the finance I now hate them :slight_smile:.

Drift:
Ironically the 2.2 petrol Frontera was about the worst engine they could put in a 2 ton car :laughing:
Mate never had any issues with his 2.2 petrol vectra either, but his 2.2 petrol Fronty…another story, we talked about welding hinges on the head to change the gaskets easier :laughing: :laughing:

I salute most single make / single model fanatics as I consider myself one as well . . . But really mate, the Vx Frontera has a reputation in the trade that is worse than a Land Rover 1.8 Defender.

As an expert on the subject, YOU might be able to spot a guddun, but for the sake of the general car buying public, you need to admit that as a 4x4, they’re pretty much a do not buy.

Yup :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

German or Japanese, and absolutely nothing French.

mike68:
German or Japanese, and absolutely nothing French.

:laughing: :laughing: only me, a Citroen Picasso 20HDI put 75k on it never broke down and the Mrs now has a newish Renault Clio DCI she has put 18k on it from new this year only issue was a loose intercooler and horn didnt work, dealer warranty sorted in an afternoon.

Christ I must be lucky :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: